Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Lens for NDP

  1. #1

    Default Lens for NDP

    Hi Pros,...

    Im using a D70...
    Im also using the standard kit lens 18-70

    what zoom lenses should I use if I were to take zoom pics like an event like NDP?

    i know that the 80-200 is good but a bit ex lor...

    but if i were to buy a
    200-400mm

    or a 70-300mm

    are these a good buy? Im just starting but I would like to start out on a cheap zoom lens for now?

    Thought of buying the 50mm too for that day as well.
    Any good advice?

  2. #2
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Lens for NDP

    where will you be?

    far away from the action?
    if you are than I would suggest you concentrate on shooting the crowd
    with your kit lens or a 12-24

    since you will be far away from the action and cannot get frame filling shots




    most of all enjoy the show

  3. #3

    Default Re: Lens for NDP

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    where will you be?

    far away from the action?
    if you are than I would suggest you concentrate on shooting the crowd
    with your kit lens or a 12-24

    since you will be far away from the action and cannot get frame filling shots




    most of all enjoy the show

    i will be sitting down...
    so quite far i guess... maybe just take some pics of the crowd etc... or people around me...expressions and candid...


    thanks ortega for your input..

  4. #4

    Default Re: Lens for NDP

    Quote Originally Posted by IzOneD
    Hi Pros,...

    Im using a D70...
    Im also using the standard kit lens 18-70

    what zoom lenses should I use if I were to take zoom pics like an event like NDP?

    i know that the 80-200 is good but a bit ex lor...

    but if i were to buy a
    200-400mm

    or a 70-300mm

    are these a good buy? Im just starting but I would like to start out on a cheap zoom lens for now?

    Thought of buying the 50mm too for that day as well.
    Any good advice?
    hi, i am not pro but just some newbie advices.

    first of all, the choice of lens depends on the type of shots you wish to capture.

    12-24mm- super wide angle lens is gd for paranomic shots, fireworks and to capture the whole atmosphere of the celebration proceedings.

    18-70mm- wide to middle range zoom. this is a multipurpose lens, suitable for wide and also close up portrait shots.

    80-200mm- tele lens. the range for this lens under a stadium condition seems a bit weird. at the far end, u can't really capture the action on the ground. cos u need at least double or triple the focal length to capture close up. at the near end, u can't really capture a wide shot. maybe perhaps only portraits of spectators.

    200-400mm- super tele. good for capturing close up of the view though still not sufficient.

    70-300mm- beer can telezoom. light and acceptable pics.

    u see the whole range of lens are meant for different type of shots. it really boils down on wat u wish to capture.

    i am also going on the actual day. i will bring my kit lens with a 80-200 f2.8. i will spent more time watching than snapping.

    maybe the pros can add on

  5. #5
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Lens for NDP

    since you are in the mood for buying, why not the 18-200 VR?
    all in one, everything also can lens, with VR thrown in for low light shots.

    forget about the tripod, go early to get front row seats.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Lens for NDP

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    since you are in the mood for buying, why not the 18-200 VR?
    all in one, everything also can lens, with VR thrown in for low light shots.

    forget about the tripod, go early to get front row seats.
    yah... an utlra zoom lens will be great...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Lens for NDP

    Quote Originally Posted by vbs1979
    yah... an utlra zoom lens will be great...

    a VR 18-200?

    is it a zoom lens....?

    How much for this range?

  8. #8
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Lens for NDP

    Quote Originally Posted by IzOneD
    a VR 18-200?

    is it a zoom lens....?

    How much for this range?
    look here

    http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem....825-ff2662b928

    click on the useful information button for list price

    and here for shop price of nikon stuff

    http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=151190
    Last edited by ortega; 27th July 2006 at 03:31 PM.

  9. #9
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    @ AMK
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: Lens for NDP

    Quote Originally Posted by IzOneD
    a VR 18-200?

    is it a zoom lens....?

    How much for this range?

    $1280

    quickly call Alan photo.... They have new stock that came in today....

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West side of S'pore
    Posts
    5,528

    Default Re: Lens for NDP

    My dream setup for NDP.

    ultra wide angle...maybe a 12-24mm

    15mm fisheye

    100-400 IS for long shots

    600mm prime to capture the intimate portraits of performers.

    Two bodies

    Yeah dreaming..

    Most important of all a press pass to roam anywhere...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •