Thread: Seagate HDD: Poor Warranty RMA Process

Angry Seagate HDD: Poor Warranty RMA Process

I would like to warn readers here of Seagate's Poor RMA Process.

My drive broke down 2 weeks ago. After spending some time with diagnosis, I found the problem and decided that I should return the drive for a replacement.

I contacted Fuwell, but I was told to contact Achieva, who is Seagate's distributor. Achieva told me that if I sent in the drive, I would have to wait for about 2 weeks before they can get the new drive in because they don't carry stock, so they would have to go back to the manufacturer. Since they had to go back to the manufacturer, I thought I would do it myself and save myself some downtime.

From the manufacturer's website, I processed the RMA, and I was directed to send the drive to a site in Changi. Fine... To save a trip to Changi, I thought I would just send it with speedpost. Then I waited... but no news, so I called them. I was told that the Changi site only receives drives through post on Wednesdays! So, I had to wait for Wednesday before they even take a look at my drive! Finally, on Wednesday, they finally 'received' my drive. They confirmed that they will ship a repaired one to me. They cannot send a new one to me because they don't have new drives in stock in Changi.

Anyway, all I know is, I still don't have my drive after 2 weeks. I think that is very poor service. When my maxtor drive broke down last year, it was replaced by Acecom on the day itself. So what if Seagate has 5 years warranty? Making use of the warranty is such a pain!

Default Re: Seagate HDD: Poor Warranty RMA Process

The more unfortunate thing is .... Seagate bought over Maxtor....
    Jia lat Liao lor....

Dude .. guess u'r just unlucky. I remember wen my HDD crash, i just had to send to tat place in Changi, opp tat Fire Station. Actually it just takes longer if i were to send by post. They gave me an option of gettin a smaller drive on e same day or a bigger one by post. I took e one by post of course since i was in no hurry.

Received mine within a wk by DHL. So guess it's just ur luck or maybe e service has worsen.

Bro. Its your luck.

There are three distros for seagate in Singapore
    Achieva / ESys / Ingram Micro
    From my experience

HDDs are replaced on the spot if stocks are available. If not, it will be repaired and whether its replaced or not, chances are, you will get refurbished drive. This is industry practice on the manufacturer end. Should you want better service, Opt for the Enterprise Quality Drives. Eg: Cheetahs

On the user end, the industry practice, is to just go get a new drive, when the drive fails, and send the old one for repair. Use it as an excuse to upgrade. lol.

Some agent let you have one to one replacement...one of Maxtor agent actually have a system hook up to Maxtor online to check warranty status.

I had good service from achieva. They send me RMA drive in a week. Just bcoz you had bad luck with them dun mean other drive mfgr are any better. You ever got bad maxtor drive? Try RMA them and then you complain. Or try some of the hitachi drive got to go to India for RMA, like 3-4 months, if you are unfortunate enough to buy from some of them shops on SLS 5th floor who sell alternate imports. WD also take 9-10 days for me last yr.

Anyhow what is 2 wks compare to 5 yrs man? Grow up. If you really serious abt your data then have other backups and drives you can use immediately, dun expect the RMA drive in 1 day.
    Last edited by kraterz; 27th July 2006 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet
    I would like to warn readers here of Seagate's Poor RMA Process.

My drive broke down 2 weeks ago. After spending some time with diagnosis, I found the problem and decided that I should return the drive for a replacement.

I contacted Fuwell, but I was told to contact Achieva, who is Seagate's distributor. Achieva told me that if I sent in the drive, I would have to wait for about 2 weeks before they can get the new drive in because they don't carry stock, so they would have to go back to the manufacturer. Since they had to go back to the manufacturer, I thought I would do it myself and save myself some downtime.

From the manufacturer's website, I processed the RMA, and I was directed to send the drive to a site in Changi. Fine... To save a trip to Changi, I thought I would just send it with speedpost. Then I waited... but no news, so I called them. I was told that the Changi site only receives drives through post on Wednesdays! So, I had to wait for Wednesday before they even take a look at my drive! Finally, on Wednesday, they finally 'received' my drive. They confirmed that they will ship a repaired one to me. They cannot send a new one to me because they don't have new drives in stock in Changi.

Anyway, all I know is, I still don't have my drive after 2 weeks. I think that is very poor service. When my maxtor drive broke down last year, it was replaced by Acecom on the day itself. So what if Seagate has 5 years warranty? Making use of the warranty is such a pain!

hey what do you mean by your drive broke down, did you just bought your hdd? and finally issit very often that seagates brake down?

planning to get one soon to store data which is more or less important to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Physical-Graffiti
    hey what do you mean by your drive broke down, did you just bought your hdd? and finally issit very often that seagates brake down?

planning to get one soon to store data which is more or less important to me...

What ever brands you buys, there is still a chance to break down. Important data always backup and dont depends on just one drive. (I ever heard of some joker partition a drive and keep data on both partition says he got backup. Good luck).

Personally I had crashed 8 HD in the past 15 years. My record was only 1 day. Install Window, restart and HD crash. The head flew off. Anyway, that model was discon due problems)

Seagate warranty service should not be that bad. The warehouse should have enough stock to replace unless yours is a discon model. They keep enough stock for sudden market surge.

Just my 2 cents