Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: need advice to built pc.

  1. #1
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Former CS Senior Member
    Posts
    3,059

    Default need advice to built pc.

    hi there,

    need advice what should motherboard to get for the below parts.

    1) 2.8Ghz intel xeon 512 L2, 400, 1.5v cpu
    2) hynix pc2100r-25330 512MB DDR 266MHz CL2.5 ECC ram

    wanting to built a pc with these parts. can any IT pro/geek advice? thank in advance.

    regards

  2. #2
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Former CS Senior Member
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: need advice to built pc.

    i meant what motherboard should i get to use with the above parts..... sorry type too fast.

  3. #3

    Default Re: need advice to built pc.

    Why do you want to buy a Xeon processor? It is too expensive and I personally won't recommend you to buy.

    I am not an expert in pc, but I can help you: I have installed many pc's for friends and relatives. First I want to know for which purpose you use with your new PC. The second is your budget.

  4. #4
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Former CS Senior Member
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: need advice to built pc.

    someone gave me the parts la. btw how much does this cpu cost in the market? how about the ram?

  5. #5
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Former CS Senior Member
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: need advice to built pc.

    Quote Originally Posted by karfee
    Why do you want to buy a Xeon processor? It is too expensive and I personally won't recommend you to buy.

    I am not an expert in pc, but I can help you: I have installed many pc's for friends and relatives. First I want to know for which purpose you use with your new PC. The second is your budget.

    probably for photoshop purposes.......

  6. #6

    Default Re: need advice to built pc.

    Hi Jacob,

    Check for "Supermicro X5DAE Motherboard".

    I don't know the prices in Singapore since I don't live there. If you play lots with Photoshop (CS2) you must have at least 512MB RAM! I assume you use Windows XP as the operating system.

    I hope I help you out a bit

  7. #7

    Default Re: need advice to built pc.

    Quote Originally Posted by karfee
    Hi Jacob,

    Check for "Supermicro X5DAE Motherboard".

    I don't know the prices in Singapore since I don't live there. If you play lots with Photoshop (CS2) you must have at least 512MB RAM! I assume you use Windows XP as the operating system.

    I hope I help you out a bit
    i can aslo help you with other things, if you know what i mean

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: need advice to built pc.

    Quote Originally Posted by jacob
    someone gave me the parts la. btw how much does this cpu cost in the market? how about the ram?
    not sure about the cpu, but the ram is pretty slow even tho it have ecc which normal computer doesn't really need it.

    would advise to upgrade to a non-ecc ram with speed of 400mhz (if MB support ddr1 only) or 533/667mhz if ur MB support ddr2. since you only have 512mb of that ram, so it not that much of wasted

  9. #9
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Former CS Senior Member
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: need advice to built pc.

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    not sure about the cpu, but the ram is pretty slow even tho it have ecc which normal computer doesn't really need it.

    would advise to upgrade to a non-ecc ram with speed of 400mhz (if MB support ddr1 only) or 533/667mhz if ur MB support ddr2. since you only have 512mb of that ram, so it not that much of wasted

    errr.... correction. i've 2pcs 512mb which make it to 1gb ram.

    don't like to waste this parts so building another pc is a good choice for me. if possible running on win2k.

    anymore advice?

  10. #10

    Default Re: need advice to built pc.

    might be difficult to find as this is not exactly a common part and it is quite old...here's a list of motherboards from Intel that can take the chip, from their helpful matching service:

    http://indigo.intel.com/mbsg/results...rID=203,60,108

    you can try storage studio or cybermind at Sim Lim, both shops deal with Xeons and have pretty good rep...

  11. #11

    Default Re: need advice to built pc.

    buying electronics is like buying camera parts

    you do your research here in the forum

    you do you reseach online reading mobo articles

    you should also go to funan and simlim to walk walk and ask like you know
    make them recommend a few mobo
    then go to another shop and ask them for their quotes.... and get more mobo

    bring a piece of paper and pen to write down all the details

    bring the specs of your processor and ram and make sure they say that it will work [of cos after you done your reseach online, more or less you know]

    then lastly, when you are paying [at the shop which offers the best price] tell them... "eh if i bring this mobo and not compatible, i come back and change for another mobo within 7 days hor!?"

    they will agree

    go to shops like fuwell.... bliss[if you know the ah neh there], pc mart[if you know the owner] blah blah blah

    good luck hunting

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    820

    Default Re: need advice to built pc.

    Quote Originally Posted by jacob
    hi there,

    need advice what should motherboard to get for the below parts.

    1) 2.8Ghz intel xeon 512 L2, 400, 1.5v cpu
    2) hynix pc2100r-25330 512MB DDR 266MHz CL2.5 ECC ram

    wanting to built a pc with these parts. can any IT pro/geek advice? thank in advance.

    regards
    Motherboard that support XEON processor are expensive and not easily available in Singapore.
    The price could be close to $1K since those motherboard are "server" grade.
    Not worth the $$$ just because you want to re-cycle the parts.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

  13. #13
    Member shawnlim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    252

    Default Re: need advice to built pc.

    Quote Originally Posted by jacob
    i meant what motherboard should i get to use with the above parts..... sorry type too fast.
    u can try studio storage or cybermind at SLS. They do carry a couple of Xeon MB. But that will cost you a bomb.
    http://www.genius-asia.com.sg/eg/fil...2006.06.23.pdf
    Last edited by shawnlim; 30th July 2006 at 07:57 AM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: need advice to built pc.

    IMHO, just too costly to "salvage " these components by going into the workstation moboes. The stuffs that you have to get subsequently will force you to spend more money on some very old or unique parts like pci-x, agp card (in the process of being phased out).

    You should just ebay them and get yourself a Conroe/Allendale or a amd x2.

    According to here http://processorfinder.intel.com/Default.aspx your cpu could be this :

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL6YX

    My 2c.
    Last edited by cpuer; 30th July 2006 at 08:50 AM.

  15. #15
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Former CS Senior Member
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: need advice to built pc.

    Quote Originally Posted by karfee
    Hi Jacob,

    Check for "Supermicro X5DAE Motherboard".

    I don't know the prices in Singapore since I don't live there. If you play lots with Photoshop (CS2) you must have at least 512MB RAM! I assume you use Windows XP as the operating system.

    I hope I help you out a bit
    thanks mate. quite gd info. btw i'm hv 1gb ram.

  16. #16
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Former CS Senior Member
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: need advice to built pc.

    Quote Originally Posted by karfee
    i can aslo help you with other things, if you know what i mean
    errr.... don't really know what u meant.

  17. #17
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Former CS Senior Member
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: need advice to built pc.

    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK
    might be difficult to find as this is not exactly a common part and it is quite old...here's a list of motherboards from Intel that can take the chip, from their helpful matching service:

    http://indigo.intel.com/mbsg/results...rID=203,60,108

    you can try storage studio or cybermind at Sim Lim, both shops deal with Xeons and have pretty good rep...
    i think i'll try sls. thanks!

  18. #18
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Former CS Senior Member
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: need advice to built pc.

    Quote Originally Posted by slooow
    buying electronics is like buying camera parts

    you do your research here in the forum

    you do you reseach online reading mobo articles

    you should also go to funan and simlim to walk walk and ask like you know
    make them recommend a few mobo
    then go to another shop and ask them for their quotes.... and get more mobo

    bring a piece of paper and pen to write down all the details

    bring the specs of your processor and ram and make sure they say that it will work [of cos after you done your reseach online, more or less you know]

    then lastly, when you are paying [at the shop which offers the best price] tell them... "eh if i bring this mobo and not compatible, i come back and change for another mobo within 7 days hor!?"

    they will agree

    go to shops like fuwell.... bliss[if you know the ah neh there], pc mart[if you know the owner] blah blah blah

    good luck hunting
    thanks!! great info.

  19. #19
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Former CS Senior Member
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: need advice to built pc.

    Quote Originally Posted by shawnlim
    u can try studio storage or cybermind at SLS. They do carry a couple of Xeon MB. But that will cost you a bomb.
    http://www.genius-asia.com.sg/eg/fil...2006.06.23.pdf
    they sure do cost a bomb.

  20. #20
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Former CS Senior Member
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: need advice to built pc.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpuer
    IMHO, just too costly to "salvage " these components by going into the workstation moboes. The stuffs that you have to get subsequently will force you to spend more money on some very old or unique parts like pci-x, agp card (in the process of being phased out).

    You should just ebay them and get yourself a Conroe/Allendale or a amd x2.

    According to here http://processorfinder.intel.com/Default.aspx your cpu could be this :

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL6YX

    My 2c.
    yeap was thinking of ebay. seems to hv better price except warranty part. thanks 4 ur 2c.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •