Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: photoshop on wide screen LCD?

Default photoshop on wide screen LCD?

my old 15" compaq is starting to developed occasional dots and showing irritation to my eyes. thinking of upgrading to newer and larger LCD - likely the 19" which is affordable before the next jump. main purpose is to allow better visualisation of magnified details of photo editing while still being able to see more of the bigger picture

at the moment is looking at LG's flatron slim L1970HR going at $559

contrast ratio 2000:1
    Resolution 1280 x 1024
    Brightness 300 cd/㎡
    Viewing Angle 160/160(H/V)
    Response Time 2ms
    Display Colors 16.2M
    PC 15 Pin D-sub, DVI-D
    Stand Tilt(+0/-157), Height(Dual Hinge)

i initially did not consider getting a wide angle becos i have the opinion that what a wide screen will do is to stretch the same item more widely, distorting most items horizontally but will allow those specifically made for wide screen such as a dvd show of aspect ratio of 1.89 or 2.35 to fit better without too much black space below and above. however i'm confused when they have posters saying that it gives more space/more data for word and excel to work further on the side.

what i would like to confirm is how would adobe photoshop appear on these widescreens LCD? would there be any distortion to my pictures? would there be more space for my palette bin or does it simply stretch the icons longer to fit the space? is there any point of choosing a wide screen over a normal screen when it comes to using photoshop?

is there any end users that can answer this?

Default Re: photoshop on wide screen LCD?

I've a widescreen LCD Monitor. You will not see any stretching experience on those LCD Widescreen TV. You just have to set your display resolution to the max your new LCD monitor can support to get the best display, especially for fonts.

Nothing will be stretched on the wide screen display except for movies.
    Using photoshop, the advantage with wide screen is that you can position all the tool palettes out of the way on either sides and leave a big centre space for the picture only. Especially for landscape pics.

I think you should consider total pixel count eg: 1600x1200 or 1620x1050 (wide screen). In absolute terms the 1600x1200 gives you more real estate, but I think this panel may be more expensive than the wide screen.

Not sure what specs you need, but I think it is good to have DVI instead of analog, and also ability to make adjustments in brightness/contrast/gamma from the display menu so that you can do display calibration more effectively.

One thing to note is that if you are using a pen tablet and if the shape (profile) is not the same as the screen, then the pen may not give a perfectly linear trace. Generally this is not a problem for photo editing, but may be an issue if you are using Illustrator and tracing something on the tablet itself. So best thing is to have the tablet profile match the screen profile. Good luck.

The photo wont distort if the resolution setting on your graphics card exactly matches the native resolution of your LCD. A 800x600 photo will look exactly the same viewed on a 1024x768 (4:3), 1280x1024 (5:4) or 1600x1050 (16:9 WS) monitors. What you get is more 'real-estate'. Imagine your compaq 15in suddenly has 2in more of pixels to put all those photoshop tool bars, able to see more cells in excel.

in short, U're getting more pixels with the bigger LCD. not a bigger LCD with stretched pixels or bigger pixels.

For dvd & graphic-intensive games, if aspect ratio of the material doesnt match the native resolution then the stretching effect U mentioned occurs. Imagine watching a 4:3 movie stretched to a 16:9 ratio. Most graphic-intensive games ONLY offer on the 4:3 aspect ratio so when they run on a WS LCD, they'll look stretched.

If you're only gonna do photoshop, office work, dvd movies, then a WS LCD would fit very nicely.
    If you're also into graphic-heavy games, then a WS LCD would need careful consideration because only a small number games offer widescreen aspect-ratio.

Hope that helps...
    Last edited by Rev; 26th July 2006 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev
    If you're only gonna do photoshop, office work, dvd movies, then a WS LCD would fit very nicely.
    wow, you answer my question very nicely too. that is exactly what i do on the computer, of cos the other one is just browsing the net and even that is help with a wide screen with more pixels.

now the model and the price is the next question.

ViewSonic VX2025W Black
    1680x1050 pixels
    contrast ratio 800:1
    i think price is $659 on poster but seen none in SLS

another is not yet on the market
    LG L204WT
    1680 x 1050 pixels too
    but contrast ratio is 2000:1(DFC)
    listed price in cnet is S$599
    think this is better buy
    http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/l204wt.jhtml
    Last edited by zoossh; 26th July 2006 at 07:53 PM.

you will need calibrator and at least a 8bit-colour panel with high contrast for photo editing.

16.2million(6-bit panel) just doesnt cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh
    now the model and the price is the next question.

ViewSonic VX2025W Black
    1680x1050 pixels

another is not yet on the market
    LG L204WT
    1680 x 1050 pixels too
    but contrast ratio is 2000:1(DFC)
    listed price in cnet is S$599
    think this is better buy
    http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/l204wt.jhtml
    the lg one does look interesting, if you can wait for it...also, there is a IT fair coming up soon...
    Last edited by theRBK; 27th July 2006 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK
    the lg one does look interesting, if you can wait for it...also, there is a IT fair coming up soon...
    yah, but kind of got an opinion that IT fair is basically a big party for those event shooters going for the girls there and most of the time, they dun give a better price than what is offered at SLS, or if they slash the price, are mostly of the old models.

yah, the LG WS is what i'm waiting for. affordable price, highest contrast ratio and resolution (no of pixels) so far for the same price range.

Well...if you like dual screen mode, then problably you will love the wide screen....but remember to check your graphic card specs to see it is powderful enought to drive at that high resolution...also make sure you have a DVI out.....

yah, but kind of got an opinion that IT fair is basically a big party for those event shooters going for the girls there and most of the time, they dun give a better price than what is offered at SLS, or if they slash the price, are mostly of the old models.
    not true for monitors...they do have some pretty deals for LCDs previously...got my monitor in a fair at a great price

ViewSonic VX2025W Black
    1680x1050 pixels
    Very nice monitor (VX2025WM) and price may actually be lower now, IIRC. Fuwell at SLS should have it? Maybe not on display? Got mine not too long ago from South Asia at Funan, besides the extra freebie at that time (that other shops didn't offer), they also test on the spot and let you test very thoroughly until you are 100% satisfied no dead/bright/stuck pixels. Note that you won't get that opportunity at the IT fairs and will have to keep fingers crossed you don't have any problems out of the box.

not sure if the LG or Viewsonic is better.

aesthetics wise, not sure if it's a concern for you. Previously the thickness of plastic borders & color of the LCD's shell were factors for consideration. Thinner borders & a black color gives an illusion that U only see the screen & those borders become 'invisible' or less prominent (like a shadow). Some people love the beidge or white LCDs, some only do apple, LG has a glossy red & black. Personally feel the LG look's prettier due to the exterior finish of black & silver.

contrast-ratio-wise, higher is better. The LG specs look better but I've read color reproduction in Viewsonics are better so I guess it's subjective since most LCD's nowadays are almost equal in price, quality & perf.

I'm afraid my advice only goes so far. I'm also considering a WS LCD because I dont know how 4:3 games/movies on a WS screen will look good or not. These pointers are what I gained for my new LCD search. Been thinking abt the 20" WS Dell or the 24" Dell (require new comp).... Currently using a sharp 19", there's some slight ghosting for fast paced movies/games colors arent as vibrant as apple nor gives a rough 3D effect (luminosity of common LCDs) but I love how everything looks flatter (like viewing the web on paper) and 'sharp' =)

Get the ViewSonic VX2025WM. You can get it at SLS for $639.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/...ys/page14.html
    除了爱, 我一无所有

Deregistered

apple 30"....good for photoshop editing...

Quote Originally Posted by westwest1
    apple 30"....good for photoshop editing...
    samsung screen... not like the old models anymore..
    sigh.

Dell!! but i think it's more expensive then wat u've quoted.

mine is a hercules ATI radeon 3D prophet 9000 pro graphic card which is 128MB. i got it years ago. how do i checked if it supports what kind of LCD? i glanced thru the manual but did not see this information.

Pretty interested in this thread though I do not find the question to my answer :

Was condidering upgrading from a 17inches LCD 4/3 to 20in wide screen

In the end, realised that I gained only in width and almost nothing in height.

So the question is (mainly to already using Wide screen pple) : Is the "wide" stuff really interesting for PS or you dont really see the interest vs a standard 4/3

Thks !

Quote Originally Posted by Fiip

So the question is (mainly to already using Wide screen pple) : Is the "wide" stuff really interesting for PS or you dont really see the interest vs a standard 4/3
    Yes, you can organise plenty of toolbars and stuff on screen and still have a good sized area to work on your image. That workspace for image display is wider compared to a 4/3 monitor, so you get a bigger landscape-oriented image.

Although you may not gain much in "height" of the monitor, consider that you will actually see a significantly larger image when viewing the images fullscreen (in landscape orientation, usual DSLR image with 3/2 aspect ratio). For a 4/3 monitor (1280 x 1024px), landscape images are limited by the width, so a 3/2 image will only be max 1280 x 853 pixels (out of the total height of 1024 pixels). On a WS monitor (8/5 ratio, 1680 x 1050 px), the same image can be seen fullscreen at about 1580 x 1050 pixels.

Downsides? Some small adjustments to habits. eg. have to stop maximising browser windows, some sites end up looking funny; More desk area needed to swing mouse around; Pen/Tablet adjustment needed. Oh and finally, having to constantly deal with wah-why-your-monitor-so-special-why-you-need-this-kind-of-monitor-ah?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiip
    Pretty interested in this thread though I do not find the question to my answer :

Was condidering upgrading from a 17inches LCD 4/3 to 20in wide screen

Thks !
    wish I had more 'real estate' on the sides.
    Because the tool bars are all pushed to the sides, post process would be easier on the eyes (bigger foto) & no crummy tool bars crowding around the foto...

Zoosh,
    Google might help... http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...9000/page2.asp
    U should check the specifications on the max resolution yr radeon 9000 can output to instead of checking which lcd brand it can support. I'm not sure but looks like the 9000 can output up to WUXGA (Widescreen Ultra eXtended Graphics Array) 1920x1200 so it should work fine. Maybe the other PC pros here can help... I think certain wide-screen monitors need 2 DVI cables =P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast