Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Walkie Talkie

Default Re: Walkie Talkie

Quote Originally Posted by Joecool
    Yeh, I've tried one of these 'Dick Tracy' WT watch before and they really sucks. Ver inconvenient too...cos it's quite thick and bulky. Motorola Talkabout Rules!!!
    which one are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by davsmiths
    which one are you using?
    Hehehe.....I'm using a Talkabout T5500
    Thinking of upgrading to a SX700...very powerful

hahaha! its free! no need to pay telcomm.
    Yeah....basically marine VHF radios are basically meant and registered to be operated away from land (ie not land based), coz that VHF segment spectrum is very close to VHF paging. But they bo chup. Over there and actually parts of China it is more for convenience, because not all rural areas have cellular, even though their cellular cells are much bigger than here in SG. (they have huge cellular towers on mountains giving you a very huge range even though transmit/receive powers are low - line of sight principle).

Finally found this....long time no see.

Singapore IDA spectrum allocation plan

http://www.ida.gov.sg/idaweb/doc/dow...aster_Plan.pdf

http://www.ida.gov.sg/idaweb/pnr/inf...fopageid=I1246

So far I think the licence free WT type approved for usage here is 446MHz (0.5W ERP) and another one at 477MHz up to 1W ERP (effective radiated power), but that's not really sold to the public. Both are in UHF.
    Last edited by 2100; 26th July 2006 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Finally found this....long time no see.

Singapore IDA spectrum allocation plan

http://www.ida.gov.sg/idaweb/doc/dow...aster_Plan.pdf

http://www.ida.gov.sg/idaweb/pnr/inf...fopageid=I1246

So far I think the licence free WT type approved for usage here is 446MHz and another one at 477MHz up to 1W ERP (effective radiated power), but that's not really sold to the public.
    Cool! really nice to know people here and get my question answered. Yes, i do notice that all approved handsets are all capped at 1W ERP. the 29km one i'm looking has a Hi/Med/Low switch for 5w/3w/1w power output. Just concerned on the approved and unapproved legislation.

http://auctions.yahoo.com/sg/i::101670092 29km $179

http://auctions.yahoo.com/sg/i::99314704 10km $65 (Probably the best bargain)

http://auctions.yahoo.com/sg/i::99861232 12km $115

Del_CtrlnoAlt,

I doubt the range and the battery life on these watch wt but they sure do look cool.
    The $65 set looks pretty sweet actually. Very tempted!

Heck, the watch walkie talkie is even cooler but erm... a tad expensive...
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 26th July 2006 at 03:49 PM.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Cool! really nice to know people here and get my question answered. Yes, i do notice that all approved handsets are all capped at 1W ERP. the 29km one i'm looking has a Hi/Med/Low switch for 5w/3w/1w power output. Just concerned on the approved and unapproved legislation.
    Actually, PMR 446 is 0.5W ERP. That is a worldwide "regulation". So if you go to Europe, which also adopts the PMR "system", you can use it no problem at all. However in the US, the equivalent system is called FRS, which uses 462 and 467MHz segments. If you go US you can use those FRS radios no problem. Etc etc.... Notice that i said FRS and not GMRS (which requires a FCC licence to be bought).

Approved/unapproved, like i said, probably nobody cares here or overseas in Asian countries, esp if you are using in a shopping centre or in the car for the usual convenience usages. As for being civil-minded and not causing interference, probably not here lar. These walkie takies cannot hold a candle compared to those professional equipment with proper antennas (that is IF there are services allocated in the first place). I won't go into the details as its not within the scope, but trust me on this. That 5W walkie may be around 1.5W ERP by the time it outputs from the antenna, and the sensitivity of the set won't be so good etc, so seriously speaking....nah.

But in the US, they do take interference extremely seriously (both users and the FCC), so do not try.

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Actually, PMR 446 is 0.5W ERP. That is a worldwide "regulation". So if you go to Europe, which also adopts the PMR "system", you can use it no problem at all. However in the US, the equivalent system is called FRS, which uses 462 and 467MHz segments. If you go US you can use those FRS radios no problem. Etc etc.... Notice that i said FRS and not GMRS (which requires a FCC licence to be bought).

Approved/unapproved, like i said, probably nobody cares here or overseas in Asian countries, esp if you are using in a shopping centre or in the car for the usual convenience usages. As for being civil-minded and not causing interference, probably not here lar. These walkie takies cannot hold a candle compared to those professional equipment with proper antennas (that is IF there are services allocated in the first place). I won't go into the details as its not within the scope, but trust me on this. That 5W walkie may be around 1.5W ERP by the time it outputs from the antenna, and the sensitivity of the set won't be so good etc, so seriously speaking....nah.

But in the US, they do take interference extremely seriously (both users and the FCC), so do not try.
    Very true. So long as you don't interfere with other official channel, you are safe. Imagine being a fool carrying a those WT that the army use....esp the one with a long antenna!!! eyes will be on you.

I think there is another segment in 350MHz that is licence free, used by the Motorola Pacer. 1W ERP also i think. But quite long ago already...not sure if that is still the case.

Not cheap....but it is good. Do not be fooled by the ERP wattage, the receive sensitivity is really good and the stock antenna is definitely miles better than those built-in rubber duckies on the toys you see in Carrefour.

Very true. So long as you don't interfere with other official channel, you are safe. Imagine being a fool carrying a those WT that the army use....esp the one with a long antenna!!! eyes will be on you.
    I remember last time there were some shops in Taka which brought in and used non-type approved wireless video cameras which operated right in the smack of 926MHz or something like that......can't remember as it was quite long ago. Interfered with one of the service providers GSM900 service. That one naturally hong gan and everyone from SingTel to IDA will be after you lar.

I've been using Midland and Motorola for almost 2 years now. Motorola ones are about 10 km range while the Midland one goes further (30km)and comes with a headset. I used it for trekking and long distance trips. Usually each car will have one. Useful as you can communicate about refuelling or makan break as well as update any change of plans to all.
    Last edited by jbma; 26th July 2006 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    Reception is bad bro. Not worth it unless the other party is practically in front of you.

Any recommendations for accessory to use when I bike. I.E those attached in Helmet.

ah boy have a lot mah.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    ah boy have a lot mah.
    Bro those are for telephone one lah. He no have talkies leh...I so brother with his brother Regina how I dun know. Even the simplest WT I need to find in SLTowers. That's why I ask for lecommendations here lor.

Hehehe.....I'm using a Talkabout T5500
    Thinking of upgrading to a SX700...very powerful
    Hi Joecool,

How is the Motorola T5500 compared to the Oregon Scientific TP380 that you mentioned in an earlier post? Which has got longer range/better reception?
    Thanks.

I owned the Motorola FV500AA, range is about 8 miles which is about 12 km. I bought it at the authorised Motorola WT dealer shop at SLS, 2nd floor, price is about $180 i think, with 2 years warranty.
    BTW, my set is illlegal for usage in SG, n the salesperson actually told me that alot of ppl in SG also using. So, your call.
    Was thinking of upgrading to SX700 too, so if anyone interested in my set, which still has around 12 mths warranty, drop me a PM.
    Last edited by beastie; 26th July 2006 at 05:39 PM.
    Everything is under control
    .....Except the Situation.....

Quote Originally Posted by Friday13
    Bro those are for telephone one lah. He no have talkies leh...I so brother with his brother Regina how I dun know. Even the simplest WT I need to find in SLTowers. That's why I ask for lecommendations here lor.
    i thought i saw it in regina before... from the counter you look inside 'the mess' it's on the shelf.. but they put "for export only".
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

i've seen some security guards with walkie talkies and these earpieces...anywhere where these can be bought as a set? i've always wanted to purchase a set of WT to communicate with home from school (since i live less than 1km away from school)
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    I've been using Midland and Motorola for almost 2 years now. Motorola ones are about 10 km range while the Midland one goes further (30km)and comes with a headset. I used it for trekking and long distance trips. Usually each car will have one. Useful as you can communicate about refuelling or makan break as well as update any change of plans to all.
    Based on your experience and usage, how does the Midland compare to the Motorola on built quality, battery life and reception?

How much are the SX700? Range is about 16km on paper right?

Thanks!
    Last edited by davsmiths; 26th July 2006 at 09:13 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast