Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 96

Thread: Walkie Talkie

  1. #21

    Default Re: Walkie Talkie

    MO Walkie Talkie ??

    heheheheeeee...

    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Eastern Part
    Posts
    306

    Default Re: Walkie Talkie

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    I think these were selling at Isetan some time ago. A lady I met at a shopping center told she bought for her kids a pair of watch walkie talkies that have a 3km range. This might be it.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    AMK
    Posts
    2,340

    Default Re: Walkie Talkie

    Quote Originally Posted by user12343
    in a way yes, as radio spectrum management and licensing is part of their job, they have to ensure that the allocated radio spectrum is only for the organization who paid $$$ in annual fees and not used freely by others.

    they have specialized equipments like directional finders to pinpoint the source of illegal radio transmissions.

    I get the idea. Each "spectrum" is registered with the handset no. and some ID. If an "illegal" one is spotted on the spectrum... it can be seen but they cannot pinpoint our geographical location unless it is revealed.

    Well, i guess i wont be getting an unapproved set because it's too much of a hassle to use. and the approved ones will be too short a distance to cover in the jungle.

    but it's nice to talk about such gadget stuff during office hours. haha!

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Walkie Talkie

    Quote Originally Posted by MDZ2
    I think these were selling at Isetan some time ago. A lady I met at a shopping center told she bought for her kids a pair of watch walkie talkies that have a 3km range. This might be it.
    hmm which isetan? thanks btw...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Land of the Teddy Bear
    Posts
    1,454

    Default Re: Walkie Talkie

    i love walkie talkies! though i seldom use them unless for some events in school and stuffs. hahaha
    I Love You :)

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    bIsHAn
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Walkie Talkie

    There are a few types of walkie talkie in the market.

    One is called FRS (Family Radio Service) / GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service). These walkies have frequencies of 462Mhz and 467Mhz (22 channels of frequency). Furthermore, Motorola's Talkabout models have interference eliminator code to enhance privacy in a group or pair. These frequency are said to be restricted for use in US only.
    The other type is PMR446 (Personal Mobile Radio @ 446Mhz). This type has only 8 channels of frequency.
    There is also the LPD433 (Low Power Device @ 433Mhz) and SRD860 (Short Range Device @ 860Mhz).

    If you are shopping ard Sim Lim and there's a sticker dat says export, you might want to consider becos of the regulation. But there are some shops that sells approved types.

    Depending on your budget, cheap ones like Shiro, or those offered by Singtel...else there's a set that I saw that is very good from Oregon Scientific. Branches are in Suntec, Tangs on the tech level, and more that I can't remember. The model is TP380. It's a PMR446 type of walkie and has a range of 5km. Currently it's selling at SGD$215 for a pair with all the accessories. BUT!!! if you happen to visit Hong Kong, you can purchase the same model at a cheaper rate. In HK...the shop is in Times Square Shopping Mall, highest level.

    At Sembawang Shopping Centre, there's an electronic shop...think at level 3. They sell quite cheap walkies...

    Happy hunting for a good one.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Walkie Talkie

    Strange how many guys have this unexplainable attraction to walkie talkies...

    I always pick one up when I see them being sold, feel like owning one but when wifey ask buy for what, I also don't know...lol..

    Me: wah, very cool, 20km leh...
    Wifey: Got use meh..?
    Me: wah, got 5 channels...
    Wifey: Got use meh..?
    Me: wah, look very rugged, can tahan knocks type...
    Wifey: Got use meh..?

    Me: Er...no use lah...maybe next time when I go camping..
    Wifey:When is the last time u went camping...
    Me: Er...

    *Walk on,...until my next encounter with these temptress...and the same conversation will repeat..lol
    Last edited by firestone; 26th July 2006 at 12:47 PM.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Walkie Talkie

    Quote Originally Posted by firestone
    Strange how many guys have this unexplainable attraction to walkie talkies...

    I always pick one up when I see them being sold, feel like owning one but when wifey ask buy for what, I also don't know...lol..

    Me: wah, very cool, 20km leh...
    Wifey: Got use meh..?
    Me: wah, got 5 channels...
    Wifey: Got use meh..?
    Me: wah, look very rugged, can tahan knocks type...
    Wifey: Got use meh..?

    Me: Er...no use lah...maybe next time when I go camping..
    Wifey:When is the last time u went camping...
    Me: Er...

    *Walk on,...until my next encounter with these temptress...and the same conversation will repeat..lol

    althru i own a set, but i always see them having better spec and always same thing happen...

    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    AMK
    Posts
    2,340

    Default Re: Walkie Talkie

    Quote Originally Posted by firestone
    Strange how many guys have this unexplainable attraction to walkie talkies...

    I always pick one up when I see them being sold, feel like owning one but when wifey ask buy for what, I also don't know...lol..

    Me: wah, very cool, 20km leh...
    Wifey: Got use meh..?
    Me: wah, got 5 channels...
    Wifey: Got use meh..?
    Me: wah, look very rugged, can tahan knocks type...
    Wifey: Got use meh..?

    Me: Er...no use lah...maybe next time when I go camping..
    Wifey:When is the last time u went camping...
    Me: Er...

    *Walk on,...until my next encounter with these temptress...and the same conversation will repeat..lol
    Tell her, you buy so many clothes got use meh? Some also never wear. One day only can wear one piece, singapore so hot, no need to wear two piece at one time. you buy so many dress also hope one day got chance to wear.. but how many times do u have the chance to wear... hahaha!

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Potong Pasir
    Posts
    540

    Default Re: Walkie Talkie

    wah, attack her like this, then she will come after u and ask u about ur BBB spree with lens....

    then die liao.....

    i also want walkie talkie....

    if jus across, i think carrefour and challenger got sell....
    D70s-er Since 2005

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Heaven's Gate
    Posts
    664

    Default Re: Walkie Talkie

    Quote Originally Posted by zcwnfx
    wah, attack her like this, then she will come after u and ask u about ur BBB spree with lens....

    then die liao.....

    i also want walkie talkie....

    if jus across, i think carrefour and challenger got sell....
    Very true! I would tell her that must buy! So that every time we go shopping, we can split up so that I can radio you when I find a shop that has a better bargain for your clothes and you can radio me when you have finished shopping. Then I have an excuse to stay away from her during her shopping spree and watch XMMs.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Walkie Talkie

    Quote Originally Posted by davsmiths
    I get the idea. Each "spectrum" is registered with the handset no. and some ID. If an "illegal" one is spotted on the spectrum... it can be seen but they cannot pinpoint our geographical location unless it is revealed.
    oh yes they can. you'll be surprised.

    Slight OT, there used to be a game called 'Fox Hunt' where amatuer radio hobbyists hunt for this 'fox' which is just a simple transmitter. Something like hide and seek, except they hunt for a transmitter. Not played in Singapore though.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    bIsHAn
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Walkie Talkie

    Quote Originally Posted by firestone
    Strange how many guys have this unexplainable attraction to walkie talkies...

    I always pick one up when I see them being sold, feel like owning one but when wifey ask buy for what, I also don't know...lol..

    Me: wah, very cool, 20km leh...
    Wifey: Got use meh..?
    Me: wah, got 5 channels...
    Wifey: Got use meh..?
    Me: wah, look very rugged, can tahan knocks type...
    Wifey: Got use meh..?

    Me: Er...no use lah...maybe next time when I go camping..
    Wifey:When is the last time u went camping...
    Me: Er...

    *Walk on,...until my next encounter with these temptress...and the same conversation will repeat..lol
    Bro, I had your experience before...until I went to Hong Kong with my wife. I borrowed a pair of WT from a friend. When I was there, I introduce to her the wonders of having a WT and saving money on our HP IDD bills in smses and calls between ourself. So it's because of this trip, my wife got the likes of this techie thingee that we bought our 1st WT there. Very cheap and it's a Motorola.

    The wonders of owning a WT is for your family to contact each other while shopping or sightseeing but when you are not together. I'm not a shopping person, but my wife is, therefore to minimise any anger sparks of trying to be a fashion consultant to a fickle-minded shopper, I rather wait at a coffee joint or a fast food outlet and read my novel or papers. So when she's ready or wants opinion, she can just call me over the WT. I use it here in SG and when I'm overseas.

    It's esp good if you drive up to MY with friends. You can contact each other over WT to know when to stop, or when you are bored, other passengers can entertain each other over the WT.

    This is my purpose of owning WT.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    AMK
    Posts
    2,340

    Default Re: Walkie Talkie

    haha! howah! that's quite cool man.

    What about those kind of big big private radios that people use to just communicate with other people on the other side of the globe. I remember watching a documentary on it. It's like you can just tune into any radio frequency and chat with people.

    what are those called?

  15. #35

    Default Re: Walkie Talkie

    http://www2.ida.gov.sg/website/Vista...1?OpenDocument

    Think there are 3 main stations, one in NTU hilltop somewhere, one Bedok, one Sembawang or Yishun, they then triangulate. Its monitored 24/7, data logged. Just a few seconds and they can locate transmissions within a few hundred metres or so. So don't even try to become an illegal bookie. Last time they used HF, 27MHz stuff. But anyway now got mobile phones lar.

    They not eng to go and see if you are using type approved 446MHz radios or GMRS/FRS stuff bought from the US. More to monitor interference to civil aviation, shipping freqs, GSM900 etc....
    And definitely your usage in shopping centres will not be received by the DF system, no matter how advanced the DF system is.

    However, in the states, GMRS is a registered service, and they do use their service quite a lot and also to a much more "professional" and technical level (ie repeater services), and it is very much regulated over there with FCC enforcment (to a certain extent). Here bo chup lar, at least currently. And anyway the stuff sold here and on ebay are toys.
    Remember last time got interference between SingTel, M1, forgot the details already, so the vans it is more for that.

    Anyway, I know some of them officers kena SRS (retrenched) liao. At least I know for my company dealing with SLA of these services.

    Though I think there are still some radio hams survivng here, but they are on HF. And their application is definitely not the same as our usage, which is for convenience.
    Last edited by 2100; 26th July 2006 at 02:24 PM.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Walkie Talkie

    Quote Originally Posted by davsmiths
    haha! howah! that's quite cool man.

    What about those kind of big big private radios that people use to just communicate with other people on the other side of the globe. I remember watching a documentary on it. It's like you can just tune into any radio frequency and chat with people.

    what are those called?
    Those are HF radios, do a google on ham radio. OR amateur radio, not unlike our amateur photography hobby.
    But pls do not operate without a licence, as that implicates the world. Play with walkie talkies is local implication, or rather here in SG it probably wouldn't even get through to the next few HDB blocks.
    Anyway, in SG there is usually insufficient space to operate much and put up big antennas. Some of them in the US have the luxury of putting up antenna farms that are of the same size of our whole HDB block here.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Walkie Talkie

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    oh yes they can. you'll be surprised.

    Slight OT, there used to be a game called 'Fox Hunt' where amatuer radio hobbyists hunt for this 'fox' which is just a simple transmitter. Something like hide and seek, except they hunt for a transmitter. Not played in Singapore though.
    Hey, you a ham? You know quite a bit.

    Last time i yearned to be a ham, but then..... SG everything also knn.
    In Indonesia rules are much more lax, though there are many registered hams over there. Damn it, they even use their 156 MHz marine radios on land to chit chat as if its a mobile phone.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    AMK
    Posts
    2,340

    Default Re: Walkie Talkie

    Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Hey, you a ham? You know quite a bit.

    Last time i yearned to be a ham, but then..... SG everything also knn.
    In Indonesia rules are much more lax, though there are many registered hams over there. Damn it, they even use their 156 MHz marine radios on land to chit chat as if its a mobile phone.
    hahaha! its free! no need to pay telcomm.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Walkie Talkie

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    My bro bought these from HK before, very lousy. Fun for kids only.

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    bIsHAn
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Walkie Talkie

    Quote Originally Posted by eesteck
    My bro bought these from HK before, very lousy. Fun for kids only.
    Yeh, I've tried one of these 'Dick Tracy' WT watch before and they really sucks. Ver inconvenient too...cos it's quite thick and bulky. Motorola Talkabout Rules!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •