Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: SMRT plans fare hikes for bus, MRT, LRT

  1. #21

    Default Re: SMRT plans fare hikes for bus, MRT, LRT

    $0.02 * Say 2 bus trips + 2 mrt rides = $0.08

    365* $0.08 = $29.20 -> $2.45 per month.

    This is assuming that routine is done everyday.

    Our public transport is still CHEAP when compared to other countries. So why complain?

  2. #22

    Default Re: SMRT plans fare hikes for bus, MRT, LRT

    Quote Originally Posted by Klose
    $0.02 * Say 2 bus trips + 2 mrt rides = $0.08

    365* $0.08 = $29.20 -> $2.45 per month.

    This is assuming that routine is done everyday.

    Our public transport is still CHEAP when compared to other countries. So why complain?
    They complain and this is norm. After they have complain.... and they will either forget it or give up and continue to take MRT,LRT, bus and cab..... life still have to go on.....

  3. #23

    Default Re: SMRT plans fare hikes for bus, MRT, LRT

    Quote Originally Posted by cookiez
    they have given u a chicken drumstick, now its time they want a whole
    chicken back from u


    whole chicken plus the drumstick U eaten earlier....


  4. #24
    Senior Member icarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    East
    Posts
    3,874

    Default Re: SMRT plans fare hikes for bus, MRT, LRT

    Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    heh. if anyone i know who voted *** and they start complaining about this, confirm i laugh loud loud in their face.
    66% voted for this price hike
    Nevermind, there is always 2011 to look forward to. Lets just endure for 5 more years.
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

  5. #25

    Smile Re: SMRT plans fare hikes for bus, MRT, LRT

    ha ha ha!

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: SMRT plans fare hikes for bus, MRT, LRT

    Quote Originally Posted by Klose
    $0.02 * Say 2 bus trips + 2 mrt rides = $0.08

    365* $0.08 = $29.20 -> $2.45 per month.

    This is assuming that routine is done everyday.

    Our public transport is still CHEAP when compared to other countries. So why complain?
    Well... its also EXPENSIVE compared to other countries. And its terrible if your intention is to complain only when it become the most expensive compared to any countries.

    Having said that, I find the service quite good, I don't see trains hiding or suddenly having on call or busy signs, and 1-2cents still seems okay.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: SMRT plans fare hikes for bus, MRT, LRT

    Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    Well... its also EXPENSIVE compared to other countries. And its terrible if your intention is to complain only when it become the most expensive compared to any countries.

    Having said that, I find the service quite good, I don't see trains hiding or suddenly having on call or busy signs, and 1-2cents still seems okay.
    Expensive compared to which country?...please compare to countries that are at similar development level and income level as Singapore. Yes, it is expensive compared to Indonesia, just as a number. But relatively, as compared to the income.......

    Maybe, one should also look at your own lifestyle, do you need to buy that next washing machine? Or the latest LCD TV? Or do you need to upgrade your PC? Do you need to buy the latest gadgets? Can't wait till next year?........try to look at where you can save money, maybe cook yourself instead of eating outside everyday?

    I understand that there are a group of people in SIN city that live marginally, I hope that the government will look into that. A few years ago (maybe 8 years), I read a story in the newspaper here, about this guy who worked at a local warehouse and earned an income of SGD 1000, of this he donated SGD 200 every month. He had a family of four persons......and he was not complaining at all! Instead, he had a happy lifestyle and he saud he was very fortunate he was still able to help the less unfortunate! I never forgot this persons attitude to life!

    I heard from a friend today that life in Malaysia is not that cheap too relatively.......although for Singaporeans it is, when they go to Malaysia.

    Living in Singapore is still not that expensive as compared to HKG, I lived there before, and these countries have similar structures......Alot of things in SIN city you only pay for when you use. Income tax is very low here......one thing they can introduce is free basic healthcare for everyone, maybe that day will come. But SIN city needs a bigger working base to pay for that I guess.

    If you want to talk about expensive, go to Europe, life is expensive (even more with the Euro!!), tax are high, but you get alot back, if you get sick or unemployed that is. If you stay healthy till old, then you won't be using the funds you have been saving.......unlike in SIN city where the funds you save remain yours (CPF was invented by a Dutch socialist economist BTW).

    HS

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Talking Re: SMRT plans fare hikes for bus, MRT, LRT

    Not to say that everything here is ok, we also need to see the overall view, but since this is SIN city, we can't talk about it here, or else Clubsnap will be closed!

    HS

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: SMRT plans fare hikes for bus, MRT, LRT

    I think you are missing the point. What I'm trying to point out is the unnecessary need to compare. Must we compare to feel good, bad or plain justified because there is someone who is better off or worst off than we? And again, you are expecting other people to react based on how you would. I do agree that MRT fare hike of 1 or 2 cents is not that bad but if someone else find this a big deal, I can't say he is wrong until I know where he is coming from. You have been to HK but for some people I know, they can't even afford to have that luxury. As for Europe, if I can afford to go Europe then I don't think I have any rights to complain either.

    Your example of a man who donated $200 may be altruistic but the reason you remembered it is because it seldom happens. On the other hand, I would keep an open mind whether to laud him or not because I'm not sure if he donated the money at the expense of his wife and 4 children. If he donated without consultation or agreement from his wife and children, which resulted for them to suffer while he become a "hero", then its not as altruistic as it seems to be.




    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    Expensive compared to which country?...please compare to countries that are at similar development level and income level as Singapore. Yes, it is expensive compared to Indonesia, just as a number. But relatively, as compared to the income.......

    Maybe, one should also look at your own lifestyle, do you need to buy that next washing machine? Or the latest LCD TV? Or do you need to upgrade your PC? Do you need to buy the latest gadgets? Can't wait till next year?........try to look at where you can save money, maybe cook yourself instead of eating outside everyday?

    I understand that there are a group of people in SIN city that live marginally, I hope that the government will look into that. A few years ago (maybe 8 years), I read a story in the newspaper here, about this guy who worked at a local warehouse and earned an income of SGD 1000, of this he donated SGD 200 every month. He had a family of four persons......and he was not complaining at all! Instead, he had a happy lifestyle and he saud he was very fortunate he was still able to help the less unfortunate! I never forgot this persons attitude to life!

    I heard from a friend today that life in Malaysia is not that cheap too relatively.......although for Singaporeans it is, when they go to Malaysia.

    Living in Singapore is still not that expensive as compared to HKG, I lived there before, and these countries have similar structures......Alot of things in SIN city you only pay for when you use. Income tax is very low here......one thing they can introduce is free basic healthcare for everyone, maybe that day will come. But SIN city needs a bigger working base to pay for that I guess.

    If you want to talk about expensive, go to Europe, life is expensive (even more with the Euro!!), tax are high, but you get alot back, if you get sick or unemployed that is. If you stay healthy till old, then you won't be using the funds you have been saving.......unlike in SIN city where the funds you save remain yours (CPF was invented by a Dutch socialist economist BTW).

    HS

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: SMRT plans fare hikes for bus, MRT, LRT

    That's why I mentioned the word 'relatively', relative to ones income.......the majority of us here in SIN city (I love this name!) earn considerably enough to pay for the transport costs. It is different though for those who earn maybe SGD 600-800 per month.

    What I don't understand is why people who earn SGD 1500-3500/month are complaining? And you would be surprised, they do!

    And one should also not overlook the costs of buying these trains, buying new buses, the maintenance costs, electricity costs, fuel, labour, insurance, etc. etc.....I do agree the government should be more open to show the people the real costs to running the transport system.

    Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    I think you are missing the point. What I'm trying to point out is the unnecessary need to compare. Must we compare to feel good, bad or plain justified because there is someone who is better off or worst off than we? And again, you are expecting other people to react based on how you would. I do agree that MRT fare hike of 1 or 2 cents is not that bad but if someone else find this a big deal, I can't say he is wrong until I know where he is coming from. You have been to HK but for some people I know, they can't even afford to have that luxury. As for Europe, if I can afford to go Europe then I don't think I have any rights to complain either.

    Your example of a man who donated $200 may be altruistic but the reason you remembered it is because it seldom happens. On the other hand, I would keep an open mind whether to laud him or not because I'm not sure if he donated the money at the expense of his wife and 4 children. If he donated without consultation or agreement from his wife and children, which resulted for them to suffer while he become a "hero", then its not as altruistic as it seems to be.
    Last edited by hongsien; 27th July 2006 at 12:53 AM.

  11. #31

    Default Re: SMRT plans fare hikes for bus, MRT, LRT

    Well... Their annual profit still is always increasing despite them telling the cost of this that is increasing blah blah. So what does that tell you? No matter what, they earn more from us at the end of each day. Someone has asked me, has our pay been increasing to cater to these increases? For some yes, how abt for those who didnt? Worse still, decreasing pay.

  12. #32

    Default Re: SMRT plans fare hikes for bus, MRT, LRT

    Quote Originally Posted by sweat100
    Well... Their annual profit still is always increasing despite them telling the cost of this that is increasing blah blah. So what does that tell you? No matter what, they earn more from us at the end of each day. Someone has asked me, has our pay been increasing to cater to these increases? For some yes, how abt for those who didnt? Worse still, decreasing pay.


    personnally, don't mind the increment. but for the poorer singapore population, we might need to know to what extend it will affects them........

    yes .. transport cost in Singapore is affordable to almost all. we should not have much complain.

    In UK a train ticket can really burnt your pocket.........
    Last edited by redstar19; 28th July 2006 at 01:23 AM.

  13. #33
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: SMRT plans fare hikes for bus, MRT, LRT

    soon the other company will increase thier prices and their stockholders will benifit.
    but i heard that the QC and service checks have increased.
    so the commuters will benifit as well.

  14. #34
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: SMRT plans fare hikes for bus, MRT, LRT

    1) the man in the news say the hike is to cover the cost of replacing the train and buying of spare parts.
    this is odd, thought all these are already factor into the operational cost / running cost? so is he double charging??

    2) a fine of $10k if they dont mee all the std set.
    chinese saying "sheep's hair grow on the sheeps". they can just factor this into the operation / running cost, than use it to justify the next fare hike??
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    1,777

    Default Re: SMRT plans fare hikes for bus, MRT, LRT

    Please dun use countries such as UK and compare with singapore..

    their mcdonald's burgers meal is already more than SGD $10 ! there is no ground for comparison! and their wages are much higher than us!
    we arent going to pay $10 for a cheeseburger meal in mcdonald in spore, using the salary we have now

    thats comparing wats the difference between the heaven and earth.

    so for the increment in price we paid, do we see a shortening of waiting time for my buses and mrt? To take the best country for comparison, based on population and land size (hongkong), i want to highlight that in hongkong we wait no more than 1 min for a train! During peak hour, expect 30seconds and another train will come!

    in singapore?? we can easily expect more than 5 or 6 times the waiting time!

    if u take single fare trip price for comparison, the price gap between the mtr ride and spore mrt is narrowing, but wat abt the basic things such as waiting time? spore still lagging like a 486 computer.
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

  16. #36
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: SMRT plans fare hikes for bus, MRT, LRT

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    1) the man in the news say the hike is to cover the cost of replacing the train and buying of spare parts.
    this is odd, thought all these are already factor into the operational cost / running cost? so is he double charging??

    2) a fine of $10k if they dont mee all the std set.
    chinese saying "sheep's hair grow on the sheeps". they can just factor this into the operation / running cost, than use it to justify the next fare hike??
    if they raise the service standard, they can justify the cost increase

    if they don't live up to the standard, they get fined 10K

    so my question is who gets the 10K?
    and how does it benifit the commuters in the long run?

  17. #37

    Default Re: SMRT plans fare hikes for bus, MRT, LRT

    Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2
    To take the best country for comparison, based on population and land size (hongkong), i want to highlight that in hongkong we wait no more than 1 min for a train! During peak hour, expect 30seconds and another train will come!

    in singapore?? we can easily expect more than 5 or 6 times the waiting time!
    How's the waiting time for really off peak periods in HK MTR? It's like 10-13 mins here. Can die ah....
    Last edited by 2100; 28th July 2006 at 09:56 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •