Thread: Colours of Little India

Default Colours of Little India

Did a little shoot in Little India during golden hour. Came across this scene which I felt drawn to. Haven't developed my eye for colour much so I thought I'd try it for this scene. Would like your thought and critiques on this especially in the area of composition, and handling of colour in post. Title is rather weak but can't think of a better one at the moment. Suggestions for that welcome too. Thanks!

Default Re: Colours of Little India

nice colours and shadow. shame about the bin getting in the way.. ( i would have moved it if i were you)

but, title is abitof a misnomer. this could have been taken anywhere.

the bin should definitely go. as for the subject, i would pick the door and isolate the drainpipe on the right. add a little more saturation and it'ld be great.

I actually think the bin adds color and character to the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by wini2006
    I actually think the bin adds color and character to the photo.
    yes agree. i'm sure eel has intended the bin to be there. if not, he could hv moved it away or chose another door.

that may be the case. but imo, it ruins the photo.

I think he intended the bin to be the point of focus - as the title suggest - colours - without the bin, there'll be less colours and as I try to find the rest point, guess what, it lands on the bin, maybe I'm wrong, only eel can answer that and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, just trying to horn my power of perception.
    this is my own opinion and I hope I have been constructive.

jdredd and satch: I understand what you are recommending and on another day, I'd have considered that - or I might have not taken the shot at all because I usually like to shoot 'as is'. It would definitely have been a cleaner and simpler shot.

However, like the others said, this one was a focus on colour (despite the weak title) and I felt the green of the bin added something to the picture.

the blue grill and orange(?) interior is in itself a great subject. And nice sghadows too to bring up the 3D form.

As for the bin you have to see hard NOT to see a bin, but a green object, which surely adds more colour excitement to the picture. Compositionally maybe it should not obscure the blue grill. Either repositioned it or you move your POV. BUt then again it is very very hard NOT to see a dustbin and that will surely turn a lot of people off.

Talking Re: Colours of Little India

Quote Originally Posted by eel
    Did a little shoot in Little India during golden hour. Came across this scene which I felt drawn to. Haven't developed my eye for colour much so I thought I'd try it for this scene. Would like your thought and critiques on this especially in the area of composition, and handling of colour in post. Title is rather weak but can't think of a better one at the moment. Suggestions for that welcome too. Thanks!

spore got nothing to take

Personally, if the bin is in red..i think the whole picture would be nicer..
    and I think if the bin is placed against the wall..

and everything looks like a 2D elevation...it might look better?
    Cos' I felt the angle of the placement of the bin not in conjunction with the rest of the elements in the photo.

But i love the photo anyway, sharp eye bro!

The colours are nice. But the title seems inappropriate. To me, "Colours of Little India" is of spices, gold, and the architecture. It seems to me the green bin paints a wrong image of Little India.

Secondly, granted the focus is on colours, but the bin breaks the shape of the gate.

But good work on the light and shadows.

Thanks for your comments. I'll keep working on the title - maybe something simple like 'green bin yellow wall'