Thread: Yet another Dragonfly ;)

Default Yet another Dragonfly ;)

my try on a dragonfly pic

Default Re: Yet another Dragonfly ;)

Nice pic - I dread to think how much time and effort it took to get that one shot. Given you've mastered it, how about a bit more of a challenge. Would be nice to see more dragnofly pics with a feeling of motion - slightly longer exposure to capture some wing blur... if you (or anyone else) manages it, would love to know how and see the results...

Nice job above.
    Robbo

nice play on the dof. beautiful dragon fly.

but i think the background blends too well with the dragonfly. im just a newbie, maybe a faster shutter with flash? and i think there's a lot of noise too.

good try, but not much of dragonfly to be excited about, unless we see more details on the eyes, which is a tough tough thign to get.

Robbo73, dragonflies dont flap their wings when resting. You should go out and observe them.

You should move closer slowly. DF will come back to the same spot after a while. Just be patience and wait for it to rest rather than running after them. Set your camera and wait.

The photo above is too distracting in the foreground caused by the wooden block the DF is resting on. As Espion pointed out, macro of DF must focus on the eyes. You wont be able to get the whole DF in focus unless you are shooting from top. Macro DOF is very shallow.

just my 2 cent

Quote Originally Posted by espion
    good try, but not much of dragonfly to be excited about, unless we see more details on the eyes, which is a tough tough thign to get.

Robbo73, dragonflies dont flap their wings when resting. You should go out and observe them.
    Am aware dragonflies don't "flap their wings" when resting - I didn't mean longer exposure on this particular shot, I meant in general. Apologies for not being clear enough - I was asking whether anyone had any pics of dragonflies in motion without freezing the wings which I realise would be a significant challenge.

I'll try again...any good examples of d'flies in motion out there and a story about how it was done?
    Last edited by Robbo73; 25th July 2006 at 11:52 AM.
    Robbo

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo73
    Am aware dragonflies don't "flap their wings" when resting - I didn't mean longer exposure on this particular shot, I meant in general. Apologies for not being clear enough - I was asking whether anyone had any pics of dragonflies in motion without freezing the wings which I realise would be a significant challenge.

I'll try again...any good examples of d'flies in motion out there and a story about how it was done?
    DF are fast. I dont think you can capture any clear without freezing the wings. This shot of my of DF in flight was not sharp even with it wing frozen. Their speed is too fast.
    (BTW this is a very bad shot to give an example)

agreed. furthermore, dragonflies dun fly like birds do. birds fly somewhat straight, while dragonflies fly somewhat random pattern. would need lots of skills, experince, patience, and most importantly lucky to catch dragonfly in action.
    with that said, i dun think its possible to catch a sharp shot of dragonfly in flight without freezing the wings.
    Photo Album - Photo Album