Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 256789 LastLast

Thread: Film SLR dying.... sad...

Default Re: Film SLR dying.... sad...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang
    Slide wins Digital. Anytime. Period.
    If slide is better then why are u posting the pic in digital?

The best way to look at the slide will be using lupe, yes, you are right that slide is better, but only if you leave it as what it is. Once you need to scan and convert them to digital, in the end they will be about the same. All the dynamic range will be gone together with that "extra details" once you resize it for web.

For me, no point to shoot slides since my clients only want my pic in digital format on a CD-R, and it is already good enough for them.
    Last edited by Wai; 5th August 2006 at 05:02 PM.

Talking Re: Film SLR dying.... sad...

Even in scans, they are better.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Wink Re: Film SLR dying.... sad...

round 1, fight, ding ding

Most of the opinions for either film or digital are valid.
    Some are insightful.

I like both film and digital.
    Just bought a few used MANUAL (means less worry the circuit board will conk out) film cameras.
    Like the operational feel of the shutter firing.
    I admire the design and build quality of these cameras. Some are a work of art. For example look at a mint condition Leica M3 from way back or an Alpa 11 SI.

The tremendous savings of digital shooting (no film and processing costs), the ability to post process in editing software of your own choice and the immediate gratification are great advantages for digital. One more seldom mentioned is that for most home users, it is simpler and more carefree to just burn a DVD of the digital images. Taking care of film slides or negatives in our humid climate is not easy due to fungus.

Look at it this way. We are fortunate to be alive in this place and time to straddle both technologies and be able to enjoy the merits of both.

i totally agreed with you, ricohflex, we have the best of both. just enjoy shooting can already.

One thing about film is that it is expensive, I just realised it yesterday when I went to get a roll of Delta 3200. $7 for 36 exposures. Hmm...! Then there's processing costs, scanning costs and what not.

Hee hee... to add to that, I do not have a film camera yet! Really interested in seeing the difference between film and digital.

Last week, I exposed about 50 rolls of Tri-X in 120 and 135 formats. I have now almost finished processing the films. And I think there are some very nice images for me to print in the coming weeks.

t teh same time, I also used up 10 gigs of memory cards with my DSLR.

I like B&W images taken with films. A lot more than those taken digitally. I like B&W images printed on traditional silver papers. Much more than those printed on Epson inkjet.

But I also like the "freedom" of shooting with the digital format. Bang! Bang ! Bang! But the bloody 4 gigs cards are damn bloody expensive!

Nice. Sorry my SD dard only 2G max loor. (Not settling for aDATA)
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by _espn_
    Thought Ruby has lotsa Velvia? It's the Astia that I can't find in SG
    Just want to know something here espn. Is Astia good/better for rendering skin tone color? Pls advise & thks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum
    Just want to know something here espn. Is Astia good/better for rendering skin tone color? Pls advise & thks in advance.
    I used Astia, Velvia and Provia before.... personally, I love provia most... prefer the color from provia...not sure why, but I did not like Astia much....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

If any young photographer who has never use a film camera
    in your life, should try it before it is gone totally.
    I don't wish to argue on the quality here.
    But it is the experience of trying out something you never try before that counts.
    The price of a 2nd hand P&S film camera is very cheap nowadays.
    Just buy one and keep. When you feel like shooting film, just do it.

It is the photograph that matters.
    Oops...this post revealed my age.

... but 2 others - its d ablility2 view pics instantly tt matters.

i still prefer film simply b-cos i prefer pics as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by obewan
    If any young photographer who has never use a film camera
    in your life, should try it before it is gone totally.
    I don't wish to argue on the quality here.
    But it is the experience of trying out something you never try before that counts.
    The price of a 2nd hand P&S film camera is very cheap nowadays.
    Just buy one and keep. When you feel like shooting film, just do it.

It is the photograph that matters.
    Oops...this post revealed my age.
    P&S film.. I think many also do not know what is that... maybe they will ask.. a film for what? How to load... lol....

Just hope film is still around... and if manufacturer stop film body, then, we will be struck with Digital... who know maybe next time, electricity too expensive, all go back to film... lol.....

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon
    who know maybe next time, electricity too expensive, all go back to film... lol.....
    If that's the case, manufacturing of slides also is an expensive matter.
    APAD | Blog

I dun give a damn man! Still using my faithful little Leica M6.

yes it is very sad indeed, with a good camera and lens like leica, carl zeiss and Hasselblad, the pics are like "3D" effect as compared to digital produced pics.

Recommend for all those out there who have not tried film.

cant afford Leica, Hassy or Carl Zs. can lend?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    I dun give a damn man! Still using my faithful little Leica M6.
    Leica... woow.... I think that is a good little lovely toy... too bad, not my league.........

Me neither. Leica is a bit like in a totally different league from all cameras.

Film isn't that bad, nor is it that expensive, considering the results from B&W film as compared to digi B&W, there's no going back after touching B&W film.

Develop them yourself, it's really fun and interesting.

Only way film mount a come back.... I suppose is this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography

Archiving

When choosing between film and digital formats, it is necessary to consider the suitability of each as an archival medium.

Films and prints processed and stored in ideal conditions have demonstrated an ability to remain substantially unchanged for more than 100 years. Gold or platinum toned prints probably have a lifespan limited only by the lifespan of the base material, probably many hundreds of years.

The archival potential of digital photographs is less well understood since digital media have existed for only the last 50 years. There exist three problems which must be overcome for archival usage: physical stability of the recording medium, future readability of the storage medium and future readability of the file formats used for storage.

Many digital media are not capable of storing data for prolonged periods of time. For example, magnetic disks and tapes may lose their data after twenty years, flash memory cards even less. Good quality optical media may be the most durable storage media for digital data.

It is important to consider the future readability of storage media. Assuming the storage media can continue to hold data for prolonged periods of time, the short lifespan of digital technologies often causes the drives to read media to become unavailable. For example, the first 5-inch Floppy disks were first made available in 1976. However, the drives to read them are already extremely rare just 30 years later.

It must also be considered whether there still exists software which can decode the data. For example, many modern digital cameras save photographs in JPEG format. This format has existed for only around 15 years. Whether it will still be readable in a century is unknown.

Most professional cameras can save in a RAW image format, the future of which is much more uncertain. Some of these formats contain proprietary data which is encrypted or protected by patents, and could be abandoned by their makers at any time for simple economic reasons. This could make it difficult to read these 'raw' files in the future, unless the camera makers were to release information on the file formats.

However, digital archives have several methods of overcoming such obstacles. In order to counteract the file format problems, many organizations prefer to choose an open and popular file format. Doing so increases the chance that software will exist to decode the file in the future.

Additionally many organisations take an active approach to archiving rather than relying on formats being readable decades later. This takes advantage of the ability to make perfect copies of digital media. So, for example, rather than leaving data on a format which may potentially become unreadable or unsupported, the information can typically be copied to newer media without loss of quality. This is only possible with digital media.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 256789 LastLast