Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Film SLR dying.... sad...

Deregistered

Default Re: Film SLR dying.... sad...

I hope film production doesn't stop...been a long time since I've seen Astia around... Sigh.

Erm, yarp. Even though I had only used a film SLR once, I still hope that the technology for it will not end. The sound of the film rolling is exciting but not the $$ involved. Quality of film is also better than most DSLR

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by stjhie
    Erm, yarp. Even though I had only used a film SLR once, I still hope that the technology for it will not end. The sound of the film rolling is exciting but not the $$ involved. Quality of film is also better than most DSLR
    Wellll...... it's not just about quality lah...

I still like film and still shoot in both film and digital.
    I think there are still a lot of people in sg shooting film, because the Provia and Velva are often out of stock!

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by bringal
    I still like film and still shoot in both film and digital.
    I think there are still a lot of people in sg shooting film, because the Provia and Velva are often out of stock!
    Thought Ruby has lotsa Velvia? It's the Astia that I can't find in SG

Quote Originally Posted by _espn_
    Wellll...... it's not just about quality lah...
    I think if you start out with film, you get to learn a lot more basic than with digital......
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    I agree. That's y for me, the high cost of printing and buying of films over time have made me switch to digital.

Now i can REALLY trigger-happy.
    Ya..... lower cost a lot... but problem with digital media... how long can we keep those data??

Heard of CD losing data, etc.... so if film can prove to be more lasting, it might have a fighting chance... I myself have PC crashed on me before, and ever since, do not trust digital and memory much....

Also... still awaiting for FF....
    Last edited by Halfmoon; 30th July 2006 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon
    Ya..... lower cost a lot... but problem with digital media... how long can we keep those data??

Heard of CD losing data, etc.... so if film can prove to be more lasting, it might have a fighting chance... I myself have PC crashed on me before, and ever since, do not trust digital and memory much....

Also... still awaiting for FF....
    Digital pics can also be developed. I've my PC HDD crashed once but fortunately pics all recovered.

FF DSLRs are already out but still costly.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Digital pics can also be developed. I've my PC HDD crashed once but fortunately pics all recovered.

FF DSLRs are already out but still costly.
    I meant for FF to be really afforadable....... like say $1.4... maybe..

If the manufacturer stop making film SLR body, we will be forced into digital.... in a way...

sorry to ask what is FF DSLR? Images can be backup to dvd. and witht he falling prices of Harddisk, it's not too wild an idea to store your pcitureson a harddisk and stroring it in a zip lock with silica gel when the capacity is full.

Quote Originally Posted by stjhie
    sorry to ask what is FF DSLR? Images can be backup to dvd. and witht he falling prices of Harddisk, it's not too wild an idea to store your pcitureson a harddisk and stroring it in a zip lock with silica gel when the capacity is full.
    FF = Full Frame... that is not 1.3/1.5/1.6 crop.. 35mm size CMOS sensor instead of the APS sensor.

I think maybe hard disk, etc is more reliable........ but just do not have that much faith.....

it is expensive to shoot and develop photos with non DSLR, cannot delete photos so more

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005
    it is expensive to shoot and develop photos with non DSLR, cannot delete photos so more
    That is part of the reason why I prefer taking pictures with FLIM SLR...

It is a TEST of your CONFIDENT, SKILL and METERING, ETC...

With digital, you can just shoot and shoot, and post process, and select..

Where is the LITMUS TEST of your skills?

If you are shooting event, reports, can you confidently get your shot right with 1 try??

I remeber something I read some where..... "There is no take 2...." Some situation, if you missed it, that's it...

Expensive to shoot film... if you do not pay a fee, you will not remember that well..... That is a casual attitude I notice when some people shoot digital........ No offence, just my observation....

Digital is like GPMG....
    Film is like sniper.......
    Last edited by Halfmoon; 31st July 2006 at 12:52 AM.

Damn! Shot 2 rolls of 120 this afternoon and its $11.00 not counting the chemicals yet. That's expensive....

Halfmoon, great thought there. I will remember your"
    Digital is like GPMG....
    "

That is part of the reason why I prefer taking pictures with FLIM SLR...

It is a TEST of your CONFIDENT, SKILL and METERING, ETC...

With digital, you can just shoot and shoot, and post process, and select..

Where is the LITMUS TEST of your skills?

If you are shooting event, reports, can you confidently get your shot right with 1 try??

I remeber something I read some where..... "There is no take 2...." Some situation, if you missed it, that's it...

Expensive to shoot film... if you do not pay a fee, you will not remember that well..... That is a casual attitude I notice when some people shoot digital........ No offence, just my observation....

Digital is like GPMG....
    You need to be armed with both the machine gun and the sniper gun. For different uses.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

People who shoot films alot usually encounter 3 very disturbing considerations. One is shooting at the correct film ISO, second consideration is when packing the extra load while travelling and if the airport doesn't have film safe X-ray machines (dun trust that even if they say so) and lastly where to store the negs or slides after post processing.

Film to me is like bullets, so shiok to load and shoot and the feeling of choosing the right film for the right situation...kinda makes u busy and feels important because it becomes very critical to make the correct decision at the right time or it will be totally gone.

I agree with Halfmoon that it takes a combination of confident, skills and style to snap the "once in a life time" shot and it never turns out better other than slides.

Velvia and Astia are not currently well stocked in SG that's why u can't find them a lot. My previous overseas trip makes me stock up about 40 rolls as I heard they come in only 200 and won't be coming in for quite sometimes. I told them it should be very good selling as I often see them sold out so why they don't stock more. Cathay says they are cutting down on all films supplies so cannot comment much also.

I only get about 40-60 rolls for personal tours and If u meet pros one time stock 100-200 for a few assignments then of course if shops don't bring in more often, casual shooters who come at the wrong time will definitely not get them in stock. Some more now cannot get from Fuji direct because films assignments are not the standard requirement anymore so bo pian cannot stock too many but have to buy from stores and preferable at the same place, same time in order to get all of them from the same batch.

Come to think about it, film quite lei che but itchy backside still like them lei

i think you should worry more about film production and development instead of the body itself, cos film are the expendable. I still have some working film bodies but their film are not available anymore.

unlike DSLR, the film body that you use wont make much different to the final image, you can't tell if the pic was taken with EOS-1V or EOS 300 right? I am not sure what you cant capture with the F6 and 1V nor what other improvement you still want to see on the next film body.

Probably even faster AF and even more accurate metering? You can't expect film body to have noise reduction, high speed crop, anti-shake or auto WB right?
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

i kinda disagree, if you can't get it with digital body, you can't get it with film body too.

For me, I started shooting seriously with DSLR, and I learnt everything from flash control, metering, composition to lighting and white balance...etc from the old D30 and 10D. By the time I upgrade to the 4MP 1D, i am already confident with my settings and I dont need to review my shots to get what I want. (another reason is the old 1D battery life damn short and the LCD cannot zoom, so i dont bother to review my picture or take extra shots).

Later, i got myself a film body, EOS30, and apply what I have learnt. Everything works except that I need not to worry about white balance and ISO setting (or the lack of).

Whether you are using film or digital body, everyone also have to learn from trail and error. And whether you can learn from the mistake will depends on individual, not the body that you use.

To me, using DSLR is like doing assignment using computer, you get instant feedback and it helps me to remember better because I know the settings that I used and I can make correction on the spot until I get it right. While using film SLR is like submitting your assignment to the teacher, and you get back the marked script one week later. Even if you bother to go thru the marked script, you may not remember why you used those settings for that particular situation, and you may not able to go back to the same spot for another try because the lighting will be different.

BTW, given a film and digital body to shoot an event, I still think that digital body will be less likely to miss the shot because I dont need to change film for different ISO or missed the shots when the 36 frames is up
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Film shutters IMO are a lot sturdier than DSLRs.
    Well...DSLR has a higher rated shutter cycle than film body of the same range. Furthermore, the shutter of DSLR will not expose to the air every 36 frames, thus less likely to be damage by dust, moisture or mishandling during film changing.

FYI, their rated shutter cycle (actual life may be few times higher depends on luck and usage)

100K - EOS 5D, 30D and EOS 3 (film), 1N (film)
    150K - EOS 1V (film)
    200K - EOS 1DMKII, 1DsMKII

Source: http://photonotes.org/cgi-bin/camera...a5=eos1dmarkii

can't find any info for consumer/prosumer film body, but it is expected to be lower than 100K

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast