Thread: R1 at $1699 ....wow

Default R1 at $1699 ....wow

went to Funan just now...found out Sony R1 retail at 1699 ...is even higher than entry level DSLR ...will pple still buy such cam? i know they come with 400mm zoom etc..but beside this and maybe no dust and easy to carry around..what make pple choose this as compare to DSLR?

tho u may pay more for dslr + lens...but believe there's market for resales but not the prosumer tho..just a thought.

Default Re: R1 at $1699 ....wow

Thats too high price for a prosumer camera,

i would rather buy the Nikon D50 or Canon 350D,

When it comes to resale, these prosumer camera are totally nuts..

I used to own the Nikon CoolPix 5000, backthen i bought it at 1899!!!

Now, it totally worthless... i pass on to my son as his camera.

sony is known to price their products in that manner.

Quote Originally Posted by drewdam
    went to Funan just now...found out Sony R1 retail at 1699 ...is even higher than entry level DSLR ...will pple still buy such cam? i know they come with 400mm zoom etc..but beside this and maybe no dust and easy to carry around..what make pple choose this as compare to DSLR?

tho u may pay more for dslr + lens...but believe there's market for resales but not the prosumer tho..just a thought.
    I believe R1 does not even has 400 mm zoom, only 120mm maybe?

because....

It's a Sony............

i'm one of their fans!

Quote Originally Posted by drewdam

I am an owner of this so call Prosumer camera (Nikon Coolpix 8700) and DSLR . Its true that there isn't much resale value to a prosumer. However, its still earn its keep in my arsenal because there are occasion that you just don't feel like lugging along a DSLR and a bag full of lenses. Moreover I am never a believer of those superzoom (18-200mm etc) lenses. Last but not least, a simple PnS at times just can't get the job done satisfactorily. Just my piece of opinion.
    Last edited by NE clicks clicks; 23rd July 2006 at 12:15 AM.

seems quite ex.

to be honest, if i was in the market for a prosumer zoom up to 400mm, the Fz30 is good and much cheaper.

Wow! I got it for much less than that!

well, if you know where to source, you can easily get 20% off the retail price. That's how good for being a Sony reseller

i myself have a Lumix FZ20 which i enjoy it very much...like what Nikonnew said...convenience to carry around as walk about cam with ultra zoom when need it as compare to dslr and need put in more $$ if need diff zoom range...

and maybe is a Sony...that's why at such price..

So expensive. No use.
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

wah, at that price, i rather get a DSLR with 1 or 2 lens. at least got better resale value. realise that prosumer got less resale value. cos its neither here nor there......

but anyway, i cannot stand EVF
    D70s-er Since 2005

When buying a R1, it is a single off purchase.
    When buying a SLR/dSLR, it is the start of more purchases.

Should nv look at the purchase of a SLR as a one time off affair...........

So, there will always be a mkt for cameras such as the R1, even when entry level dSLR are cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Ren_Hao
    When buying a R1, it is a single off purchase.
    When buying a SLR/dSLR, it is the start of more purchases.

Should nv look at the purchase of a SLR as a one time off affair...........

So, there will always be a mkt for cameras such as the R1, even when entry level dSLR are cheap
    that's true and that's why am still hold on to my FZ20 but lately i start to look at the comment, review n pricing for some of the rntry level dslr lio...