Thread: To All Golfers!

Default To All Golfers!

Ok, Im looking to get back into golf after being in SG for nearly 3 years now without playing. Just got back from Bali and played a couple of rounds in Nusa Dua and realised I could still actually play reasonably well (even after 3 years with no practice!!!).

So, to get to the point, my question is, where is the best place to buy clubs in Singapore? Im looking at a couple of Callaway line ups but havnt a clue where to buy them (or even try them) in Singapore.

Also, can anyone reccomend a decent (but cheap ish) course to play on in Singapore (or golf club to join), considering I have yet to get a Handicap and do not have a PC (whatever that is). I can usually make the greens under par but my putting is frankly s*** at the moment so I end up 1 or 2 over par usually.

Thanks in Advance!!!

Default Re: To All Golfers!

Well, for new and used golf clubs you should head down to Far East Shopping Centre (the one next to Borders), there are lots of shops there. If you're adventurous, you could even check out yahoo singapore auctions for used golf clubs (cheaper than the shops), but you can't be sure you're not buying fakes!

Public golf courses in Singapore include Seletar Base Golf Club in Seletar Base, the Transview Golf Course along Dover Road, Green Fairways off Bt. Timah and the new one along Marina opp Tanjong Rhu (can't remember the name).

Alternatively, if you can play on weekdays there are a lot of platinum credit cards that will allow you to play at the private clubs for cheap/free. Lastly, if you drive, there are the courses in JB.

Happy golfing!

Quote Originally Posted by danster
    Well, for new and used golf clubs you should head down to Far East Shopping Centre (the one next to Borders), there are lots of shops there. If you're adventurous, you could even check out yahoo singapore auctions for used golf clubs (cheaper than the shops), but you can't be sure you're not buying fakes!

Public golf courses in Singapore include Seletar Base Golf Club in Seletar Base, the Transview Golf Course along Dover Road, Green Fairways off Bt. Timah and the new one along Marina opp Tanjong Rhu (can't remember the name).

Alternatively, if you can play on weekdays there are a lot of platinum credit cards that will allow you to play at the private clubs for cheap/free. Lastly, if you drive, there are the courses in JB.

Happy golfing!
    Thanks alot, Yeah, have an AMEX Platinum, didnt think of that! I saw the new course on the way to the airport, looked pretty decent, shall check it out. Will also go down to Far East, looking for new, not used.

Thanks again!

i dont like the far east 2nd hand shops. they are not very experienced in my opinion. and they dont offer much club fitting options.

a lot of serious golfer friends of mine and i go to raymond, at bukit timah plaza. his shop is called My Golf Shop.

he has a decent range of 2nd hand stuff and a net to try out. he can also reshaft for you.

best thing about raymond though, is if you like a certain set of clubs, you can loan to try out and then see how. and for me thats the best thing, because its one thing to hit from a mat or the range, another to hit on the golf course.

as for places to play.. i think the new NTUC course at marina has opened already.

if you did national service, i strongly recommend you apply for SAFRA membership. i paid 1800 for 2 years membership and its really worth it because you have a total of 54 holes of golf to choose, + a really nice 9 hole par 3 course. if u have credit card, can do interest free monthly installments.
    Last edited by jdredd; 20th July 2006 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    i dont like the far east 2nd hand shops. they are not very experienced in my opinion. and they dont offer much club fitting options.

a lot of serious golfer friends of mine and i go to raymond, at bukit timah plaza. his shop is called My Golf Shop.

he has a decent range of 2nd hand stuff and a net to try out. he can also reshaft for you.

best thing about raymond though, is if you like a certain set of clubs, you can loan to try out and then see how. and for me thats the best thing, because its one thing to hit from a mat or the range, another to hit on the golf course.
    Thanks, does he do new equipment? Im specifically looking for Callaway Irons and woods, is there a Callaway distributor in Singapore?

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion
    Thanks, does he do new equipment? Im specifically looking for Callaway Irons and woods, is there a Callaway distributor in Singapore?
    PanWest is the official distributor for Callaway stuff in Singapore. Think they have a shop in Suntec City and some other places.

You can also get new Callaway stuff a bit cheaper at Grand Bigwin in Far East Shopping Centre.

he does have sometimes new , but hes not an official distributor.

can i ask why you want callaway irons and woods in particular? because in all honesty, you can do just as good, for a lot less money by looking at other brands.

he does have sometimes new , but hes not an official distributor.

can i ask why you want callaway irons and woods in particular? because in all honesty, you can do just as good, for a lot less money by looking at other brands.
    I was using them in Bali and it was some of the best golf ive played in a long time. Open to any other suggestions.

its not the clubs. really. thats all in your head. its your swing.

trust me, ive seen so many people think that their golf will improve with equipment, and they get into this never ending round of constantly upgrading their equipment.

things arent helped by the huge amount of marketing that some of these companies employ.

as i said, the best thing to do, is to try out a few different types of clubs. see what you like.

for fairway/ utility woods, nickent are very good. the taylor mades are also good but a bit pricey. another one to consider, and one of the best kept secrets on the PGA tour because they dont have a marketing budget, is sonartec. very very sweet clubs to hit. another easy club to hit for 3 wood is the maruman shuttle.

for irons, personally, once i made the switch to forged, i never looked back. and not to say forged irons are hard to hit.

i used the mizunos, mx-23. they are still very forgiving with adecent cavity back, and good weight at the bottom. they also have a decent amount of offset.
    i like them because they dont punish me on bad shots, but they do communicate to you that the shot, wasnt so good. and when you hit them well, it feels like butter. warm, soft, melted butter. that no composite clubhead will ever match. including the callaways.

for drivers, I use a KZG. its a custom composite head maker with a twin face titanium plate.
    not very well known here, because they dont market, but it was one of the top rated drivers in 2004/2005. i have tried many many other drivers, taylor made R7s, titleist, cleveland launchers, and none have given me significantly better performance or consistency. raymond is exclusive dealer for them. and they are pretty good value, about $400+.

wedges, i tried a couple. but the best of the lot are still the cleveland or titleist vokey wedges.

finally, for putter its really up to you. i was using a blade milled one. but i recently made a switch to odyssey 2 ball, and my putting improved dramatically.

its not so much that they feel any better than a milled head, but the confidence you get aiming with the 2 ball gives u much better accuracy on longer putts.

I like to go Pan West at Jln Pemimpin, their HQ, very well stock, full range of Callaway products.

They also distribute Launcher by Cleveland, with selection of shafts, nice driver.

its not the clubs. really. thats all in your head. its your swing.

trust me, ive seen so many people think that their golf will improve with equipment, and they get into this never ending round of constantly upgrading their equipment.

things arent helped by the huge amount of marketing that some of these companies employ.

as i said, the best thing to do, is to try out a few different types of clubs. see what you like.

for fairway/ utility woods, nickent are very good. the taylor mades are also good but a bit pricey. another one to consider, and one of the best kept secrets on the PGA tour because they dont have a marketing budget, is sonartec. very very sweet clubs to hit. another easy club to hit for 3 wood is the maruman shuttle.

for irons, personally, once i made the switch to forged, i never looked back. and not to say forged irons are hard to hit.

i used the mizunos, mx-23. they are still very forgiving with adecent cavity back, and good weight at the bottom. they also have a decent amount of offset.
    i like them because they dont punish me on bad shots, but they do communicate to you that the shot, wasnt so good. and when you hit them well, it feels like butter. warm, soft, melted butter. that no composite clubhead will ever match. including the callaways.

for drivers, I use a KZG. its a custom composite head maker with a twin face titanium plate.
    not very well known here, because they dont market, but it was one of the top rated drivers in 2004/2005. i have tried many many other drivers, taylor made R7s, titleist, cleveland launchers, and none have given me significantly better performance or consistency. raymond is exclusive dealer for them. and they are pretty good value, about $400+.

wedges, i tried a couple. but the best of the lot are still the cleveland or titleist vokey wedges.

finally, for putter its really up to you. i was using a blade milled one. but i recently made a switch to odyssey 2 ball, and my putting improved dramatically.

its not so much that they feel any better than a milled head, but the confidence you get aiming with the 2 ball gives u much better accuracy on longer putts.
    Thank you so much for typing all that. Will definatly check out everything you have suggested. Iam not an equipment whore though, i know its all in the swing, just like photography, better camera doesnt mean better photographer. I usually play well with my old clubs but I have outgrown them now, brought them when I was much younger, and the callaway's just had a great feal to them. But I will definatly check out the gear you have mentioned. I think Saturday will now become golf club hunting day!

Hehee, mutated BBB virus

Thanks alot, Yeah, have an AMEX Platinum, didnt think of that! I saw the new course on the way to the airport, looked pretty decent, shall check it out. Will also go down to Far East, looking for new, not used.

Thanks again!
    amex platinum member plays free when accompanied by 2 paying guests.

i got the amex platinu.. kinda a waste of time really.

you get to play free, but say if u go to legends, 3 others people need to pay full price.. which kinda sucks.

i got the amex platinu.. kinda a waste of time really.

you get to play free, but say if u go to legends, 3 others people need to pay full price.. which kinda sucks.
    Yeah, true, but then you can just split the price of the other 2 around the 3 players, makes it cheaper

perhaps..
    but play legends on sunday pm, is 110 rinngit per person. so it was cheaper to do that, than 1 person play free and 3 person split 4 ways on sat all day or sunday morning..