Thread: Need advice on my next purchase...

Default Need advice on my next purchase...

Need some advice on my next purchase - what would you do if you were in my shoes?

I'm currently using a Fuji S1 Pro, 24mm Nikkor and a 70-210mm Nikkor lens. Sold my 50mm 1.4 a few months back because I needed the cash, but regretting it now. sigh...

Anyways here are my options:

1) Sell both lenses, and get a 18-200mm VR lens
    2) Sell the body + 24 mm lens and get a used D70s kit
    3) Sell everything and change systems, haha. Tempted by the upcoming Sony Alpha 100
    4) Keep everything and just buy another 50mm 1.4 .

Option 1 is attractive, because I mainly use the camera for travel + portraits of my children. But I'm also tempted to change bodies as the S1 Pro is getting old and quite slow. Also missing features like Spot metering, bulb mode, RAW. Histogram review also damn slow. I also find the picture sharpness generally on the soft side unless the lighting is very bright (e.g. outdoors on a sunny day).

So any advice guys?

Default Re: Need advice on my next purchase...

Not sure of your total budget but here's my suggestion...

Sell everything and get the S3pro or the upcoming S4pro. The S3pro new is going for only $2200 or less, used bodies should be around $1700 or less. If got money leftover, get the AF-S 17-35 and the 50/1.4... you're all set for travel and portrait shots. I'll forget about the mediocre 18-200 VR and don't bother with the D70s... old news.

Quote Originally Posted by red_ryder
    Need some advice on my next purchase - what would you do if you were in my shoes?

I'm currently using a Fuji S1 Pro, 24mm Nikkor and a 70-210mm Nikkor lens. Sold my 50mm 1.4 a few months back because I needed the cash, but regretting it now. sigh...

3) Sell everything and change systems, haha. Tempted by the upcoming Sony Alpha 100

Option 1 is attractive, because I mainly use the camera for travel + portraits of my children. But I'm also tempted to change bodies as the S1 Pro is getting old and quite slow. Also missing features like Spot metering, bulb mode, RAW. Histogram review also damn slow. I also find the picture sharpness generally on the soft side unless the lighting is very bright (e.g. outdoors on a sunny day).

So any advice guys?
    i would go "5th" option... get a 2hand d70 and continue using or sell ur S1

Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    Not sure of your total budget but here's my suggestion...

Sell everything and get the S3pro or the upcoming S4pro. The S3pro new is going for only $2200 or less, used bodies should be around $1700 or less. If got money leftover, get the AF-S 17-35 and the 50/1.4... you're all set for travel and portrait shots. I'll forget about the mediocre 18-200 VR and don't bother with the D70s... old news.
    Ok, I better mention my budget. I'll willing to come up with about $500 to $1k.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I use the 70-210mm quite a lot during my travels. I do take landscapes, but I also love taking zooms of interesting people and far-away objects . In fact, quite a few times I've wished I had a longer lens! So just getting a 17-35mm would not be an ideal solution for my travel needs.

Hmm..you're the first person that I came across who said the 18-200vr is mediocre. Online reviews mostly are very positive? and I thought the lens is so popular that stocks are always sold out in Singapore?

Ok, I better mention my budget. I'll willing to come up with about $500 to $1k.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I use the 70-210mm quite a lot during my travels. I do take landscapes, but I also love taking zooms of interesting people and far-away objects . In fact, quite a few times I've wished I had a longer lens! So just getting a 17-35mm would not be an ideal solution for my travel needs.

Hmm..you're the first person that I came across who said the 18-200vr is mediocre. Online reviews mostly are very positive? and I thought the lens is so popular that stocks are always sold out in Singapore?
    I may be a minority but I'm not a big fan of zoom lenses which cover such a wide focal length, it usually comes with a compromise. A comparable prime or 70-200 lens would yield much better images. The argument here is that the 18-200 does offer a useful length in a compact package, that's true and if convenience is what you're after, then this would be the lens for you. I've personally used it and am not impressed by its optical qualities.

Your budget does put things in perspective. I would go for option 2 in that case. Might perhaps think of changing the 70-210 for a used 80-200 if u can find one at a reasonable price.

Smile Re: Need advice on my next purchase...

Hi,

I would first consider on 2 points - Budget and is your current camera sufficient and good enough for you. IMHO, it may be good to have certain features but do you use it often? If I were you and budget is not a concern, I would change the whole system and the Sony Alpha 100 is a good choice. If you want to save some money, i would suggest that you just get a replacement for your 50mm lens. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth. The power to decide is yours.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

So any advice guys?
    If you ask me....

If you need to sell the 50mm f1.4 because you need the cash, then don't even consider a change of system or buy new lenses, because you need to do your budgeting properly to take care of your needs first before indulging in photography. So plan your budget first and make sure you do have sufficient savings for the emergencies ( they say you need 6 mths salary savings in your bank...)

Once you have your budget planned, then only then, consider your purchases and options. Until then resist all temptations and make do with what you have.

If I were you, I would try out the different bodies and lenses, know which one I want and save up before purchasing. In your current situation, i wouldn't even consider any options, but then I am not in your situation.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams