Thread: Cafe-BW

Default Cafe-BW

Hi, I am really new into photography and this is my 1st proper BW trial. Please comment:

Thank you.

Default Re: Cafe-BW

The blacks at the back are too dark and the whites are too bright. And I wonder did you purposely made the photo noisy?

While the framing is done quite nicely, with the potted plants on either side of the frame, the whole picture is generally too cluttered and messy. For instance, the leg and backview of the person behind the left potted plant is just awful; the head popping out next to the lady is a major distraction; and the people at the back seems to be the main subject instead (being relatively clearer than the rest of the subjects).

Noise is good in pictures, especially if you're intending for it to resemble traditional black and white prints. Too much noise however ruin the whole photograph.

Yah, the noise were created with ISO800 during the shot.

Thanx for your comment, will redo the contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by YongXian
    The blacks at the back are too dark and the whites are too bright. And I wonder did you purposely made the photo noisy?

Ya, too crowded. It was in Sentosa......so cannot help

I dun like the girl on the left too, her dressing is too modern, so I left her behind the plant.

The grains were created with ISO 800 May be a tighter crop will look better. I will try.

Thanks for your comment!

Thanks for the comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cheat
    While the framing is done quite nicely, with the potted plants on either side of the frame, the whole picture is generally too cluttered and messy. For instance, the leg and backview of the person behind the left potted plant is just awful; the head popping out next to the lady is a major distraction; and the people at the back seems to be the main subject instead (being relatively clearer than the rest of the subjects).

Noise is good in pictures, especially if you're intending for it to resemble traditional black and white prints. Too much noise however ruin the whole photograph.

wow, the noise is so bad the picture is almost distorted to me.

i suggest you get the basic compositions right for B&W, before you add effects. dont shoot at ISO800. shoot at an appropriate ISO to get the exposure right. noise or grain effects you can always add later in PS.

Yah loh, shouldn't have shot at ISO800. Learnt a lesson, anyway I am here to learn. Thanks for your comment!

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    wow, the noise is so bad the picture is almost distorted to me.

i suggest you get the basic compositions right for B&W, before you add effects. dont shoot at ISO800. shoot at an appropriate ISO to get the exposure right. noise or grain effects you can always add later in PS.

heh no worries, you are welcome.

one other thing. dont shoot with B&W mode in your camera. shoot in colour. because theres a million ways to do a B&W conversion in photoshop. so what you want, is the best highest quality photo in the first place. if you shoot in B&W mode, the camera is doing the processing for you, which is not what you want.

Ya rite, I did shoot in colour. I think my channel mixing for the BW conversion is still not up to mark lah. Will try to re-mix again.

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    heh no worries, you are welcome.

one other thing. dont shoot with B&W mode in your camera. shoot in colour. because theres a million ways to do a B&W conversion in photoshop. so what you want, is the best highest quality photo in the first place. if you shoot in B&W mode, the camera is doing the processing for you, which is not what you want.

Sorry Bud, 0 out of 10 from me....

You can see your own problems. I don't have to comment.
    Last edited by photobum; 20th July 2006 at 10:28 PM.