Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hiya =)

Default Re: Hiya =)

Quote Originally Posted by impaction
    DeSwitch: Just had a look at the macros. Very nice! How is macro done anyway(for pictures like small spiders)? With a normal digital camera, if I zoom in to anything real close, it blurs out

I'm not sure how the guru there use their P&S to shoot macro but you need some attachments to your camera to reduce the min focusing distance. You can look at Tchuanye's setup in the link under his signature.

One method I read about is to use a reverse mount 50mm lens. ie take a 50mm lens and reverse it so that the lens is facing yr camera's lens. This was, you will have a higher magnification and very close focusing distance. one cheap way is to put a magnifing glass in front of yr camera. May son did that.

I dont use P&S so cant really advise much on it.

zcwnfx: Hahas. Yeah, suppose the only way is to make do and/or 'steal' at least you have a DSLR, if you don't mind carrying it around right? Still waiting for when I have my money~

DeSwitch: 50mm lens...more money...I see why its easy to catch the BBB virus. hm tchuanye has more advanced equip than what I had in mind though...there really is limited things I can do with a compact I think I shall try the magnifying lens way for the moment lol. Hopefully things turn out well.

Just wondering, what's the most basic requirements for sports photography? Took some pictures yesterday at the track and field meet, all turned out blurry.

haa haa, i dont mind at all!

save up man!

for sports, i think having a fast shutter to freeze the frame. then a lens that can focus fast? u might have to focus continuously cos the subject is always in motion. then maybe a longer focal length to have the shallow DOF effect?
    D70s-er Since 2005

Yeah, I suppose I have to save up Maybe I'll save up for it next year or something. I need a compact more than something than takes up space. School trips need a lot of photos...can't be lugging a DSLR around.

Fast shutter..hm. Well, hopefully I fare better with my photos next year. Haha. Only clear pictures I had yesterday was of the competitors surrendering their track suits to the people in charge. When you say focus continuously, do you mean continuously on the subject? Hm then if my hand is shaky, won't it turn out blur as well? And how do you have a longer focal length? Is that got to do with the camera or the settings?

Yeah, I suppose I have to save up Maybe I'll save up for it next year or something. I need a compact more than something than takes up space. School trips need a lot of photos...can't be lugging a DSLR around.

Fast shutter..hm. Well, hopefully I fare better with my photos next year. Haha. Only clear pictures I had yesterday was of the competitors surrendering their track suits to the people in charge. When you say focus continuously, do you mean continuously on the subject? Hm then if my hand is shaky, won't it turn out blur as well? And how do you have a longer focal length? Is that got to do with the camera or the settings?
    i would focus continously on a subject if i want to take maybe a particular subject only.

a faster shutter will cancel out the hand shake. i think normally 1/150 can eliminate handshake prob right? i not very sure. it works most of the time for me. maybe others can correct me on that.

for longer focal length...... as i understand lah, to control DOF is to use aperture or focal length. but using focal length is easier. if u are on s DSLR, it would be simpler, jus change to a telephoto lens, stand further, then u can get the DOF liao. on a compact, maybe do the same? zoom out, stand further away, then shoot? normally i use about 50mm - 105mm for the effect. but for me, its really a trial and error thing, as i am still learning too.
    D70s-er Since 2005

Use a tripod if you are stationary for long periods. In this case, that is. Especially if you are constantly zooming in. Some tripods are quite light and cheap. But if camera is very heavy you might want to get a better quality one.

You might start by shooting and letting fellow members or your friends critique and comment.

zcwnfx: Erm..I'm using a noobish Lumix DMC-FX2 at the moemnt, and there isn't settings like that. well, the next track event is in a loong while anyway. Hopefully by that time I would be better Were you there that day? I saw alot of photographers, especially at the end when prize presentation. Flash flashing, and people blocking my view. I need to grow taller

redstone: Hm, tripod will be cool I suppose. I can makeshift one but it was extremely crowded in the stadium, and subjects were running....I couldn't even take pictures without blocking my friends/taking their heads. Also, the subjects turned out puny. And I would say we were quite close..the nearest stands at the track. And yes, I need a new camera! It will be my first, in a way, as the one I'm currently using is a family camera.

i wasnt there lah.... hee hee....

if no have tripod, i seen ppl using bags, pillars, or anything to stabilise themselves. maybe u can try that?

is there setting for AF-continous? no ah? nvm lor....

or is there a exposure mode for sports? i believe in compact cam they do the settings for u
    D70s-er Since 2005

zcwnfx: Erm..I'm using a noobish Lumix DMC-FX2 at the moemnt, and there isn't settings like that. well, the next track event is in a loong while anyway. Hopefully by that time I would be better Were you there that day? I saw alot of photographers, especially at the end when prize presentation. Flash flashing, and people blocking my view. I need to grow taller

redstone: Hm, tripod will be cool I suppose. I can makeshift one but it was extremely crowded in the stadium, and subjects were running....I couldn't even take pictures without blocking my friends/taking their heads. Also, the subjects turned out puny. And I would say we were quite close..the nearest stands at the track. And yes, I need a new camera! It will be my first, in a way, as the one I'm currently using is a family camera.
    A basic 'okay' tripod would cost around $27, perfect for light cameras and beginners.
    Might want to go down to the first row to take pictures?

zcwnfx: I used the 'sports' mode, but it still turned out blurry Continual AF...I don't think so. And I was right in front..if you went to Choa Chu Kang stadium before, you will find that the seats right in front did not have any sort of pillar etc, only the handrail to lean on. Even then, I could not stabilize myself there, as I had friends in front of me. Any ideas how? Other than to change a camera...I'm going to do that anyway for now at least? Can practice of my school's tracka and field team.

redstone: hm, I don't think I can afford $27 Have to save up for my camera. Anyway, I don't think I will use it much. I usually don't go out just to take pictures...find it spoils the mood. I just bring it around. And I was at the first row >.< surrounded by people everywhere. front, back, left right. Doesn't help that I don't have the height.

zcwnfx: I used the 'sports' mode, but it still turned out blurry Continual AF...I don't think so. And I was right in front..if you went to Choa Chu Kang stadium before, you will find that the seats right in front did not have any sort of pillar etc, only the handrail to lean on. Even then, I could not stabilize myself there, as I had friends in front of me. Any ideas how? Other than to change a camera...I'm going to do that anyway for now at least? Can practice of my school's tracka and field team.

redstone: hm, I don't think I can afford $27 Have to save up for my camera. Anyway, I don't think I will use it much. I usually don't go out just to take pictures...find it spoils the mood. I just bring it around. And I was at the first row >.< surrounded by people everywhere. front, back, left right. Doesn't help that I don't have the height.
    You can use viewfinder mode. Holding the camera against your head minimizes handshake.

Or can rest your elbow on your knee when sitting/kneeling.

Correct hand position and grip is also needed.

On top of head? That's extreme...=/

Hm, thinking back,maybe it's cause of my grip. Was very excited that day, couldn't keep still.

On top of head? That's extreme...=/

Hm, thinking back,maybe it's cause of my grip. Was very excited that day, couldn't keep still.
    shooting using viewfinder mode la.

Your camera has viewfinder right? Look thru that, rather than using LCD screen. This way the camera would be held against your face, and minimizes shaking.

The more traditional way of taking pics thingy? Nope..don't have.

yup

I see... Hmmm...
    If the subject isn't moving too fast, you can aim, and press camera against forehead to shoot?

When holding, keep arms close to your body to minimize shaking.

ok..will try to remember. Haha.

Do not buy DSLR first. Shoot with your current camera. Improve your artistic skills first.

I believe you could start shooting easy things, like abstract

i think its important to understand that photography is not a equipment chasing hobby, the pictures are more important!

shoot shoot shoot!

"click click"! haa haa
    D70s-er Since 2005

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234