Thread: Road

Default Road

original photo was darker, did a bit of PS, is the exposure ok this time ?? chosen "road" as caption, hope its approprate for this pic

Last edited by Chew Siow Ming; 17th July 2006 at 05:24 PM.

Wink Re: Road

hi i`m a newbie. haha

actually ah i see no no purpose in yr picture.
    what u trying to show?
    maybe u should think before u shoot.
    dun press shutter liao then think of title.
    and i think u should stick to color first.
    BnW is a whole new topic in Photography

this is how i learn

btw this is just my noobish opinion.
    doesnt even worth a cent.

Default Re: Road

hi i`m a newbie. haha

actually ah i see no no purpose in yr picture.
    what u trying to show?
    maybe u should think before u shoot.
    dun press shutter liao then think of title.
    and i think u should stick to color first.
    BnW is a whole new topic in Photography

this is how i learn

btw this is just my noobish opinion.
    doesnt even worth a cent.
    understand.... so you usually think of a title before u shoot ??? interesting, will try next time..hehe...in that case, you must be very occupied during your shooting, thinking of a title(s) for your pic before pressing the shuttle, anyway will still take note of what u said.thks for C&C
    Last edited by Chew Siow Ming; 17th July 2006 at 09:33 PM.

--- is ok to think of title AFTER you shot ..

BUT the Element of your Idea Must be There ..

like KEY words..

I get the idea - bt the shot you had taken show little contrast and is kinda too dark o make out anything .. maybe if enlarged 3 time it would look better ratio play a huge role on photography also ..
    sometime a shot taken 10 -20 time it size look really nice and when is reduce in size it look crappy ..

but Black and white is never easy non hard just need tobe more selective of what you want to contrast

Osix uvlux

I sort of like this one if not for the shadow on the lower left.

Technically, you'll have to work on your exposure more. Overall, it is definitely better than the one titled 'Shot from Chinatown'.

6 out of 10 from me.

thks for the CONSTRUCTIVE C&C... will shoot more for improvement. cheers.

nice b&w no complaints technically, good play of converging lines, and so on ...

BUT the pic is empty!

no subject, like an empty stage waiting for the actor to walk in. Thats what your picture say to me. But even so that is not a significant thing said, unless it is part of a larger context, eg part of some exhibition, which obviously is not available in this isolated picture.

So the question to you is, What were you trying to say in the picture? Was it emptiness? over or beyond the horizon? A long time more? down the road? or something of that kind, or what?

Or was it just a study in lines? ie a techincal exercise to capture the scene 'perfectly' - whatever that means - without any intention to say anything?

I think it was the latter.

Note: No picture is perfect in and of itself. That is a meaningless concept and a vain striving. The measure of a picture is in its art. Eg can there not be a good picture that is motion-blurred, out of focus, and porrly lighted? Surely there are.

Quote Originally Posted by espion
    nice b&w no complaints technically, good play of converging lines, and so on ...

BUT the pic is empty!

no subject, like an empty stage waiting for the actor to walk in. Thats what your picture say to me. But even so that is not a significant thing said, unless it is part of a larger context, eg part of some exhibition, which obviously is not available in this isolated picture.

So the question to you is, What were you trying to say in the picture? Was it emptiness? over or beyond the horizon? A long time more? down the road? or something of that kind, or what?

Or was it just a study in lines? ie a techincal exercise to capture the scene 'perfectly' - whatever that means - without any intention to say anything?

I think it was the latter.

Note: No picture is perfect in and of itself. That is a meaningless concept and a vain striving. The measure of a picture is in its art. Eg can there not be a good picture that is motion-blurred, out of focus, and porrly lighted? Surely there are.
    thanks espion for your valuable advice, will a subject (eg a man standing) in foreground with stretched shadow improve the overall composition ?

anyway a big thanks to u.

Quote Originally Posted by Chew Siow Ming
    thanks espion for your valuable advice, will a subject (eg a man standing) in foreground with stretched shadow improve the overall composition ?

anyway a big thanks to u.
    What do you want to say? What is an "improved composition"? Against what you measure improvement or otherwise?

(of course in the real world things dont happen that linearly. Often it is only after you shot that you see the communication possibilities, and if you learn, then the next time you use it in your next composition.)