Thread: So predictable .......

Default So predictable .......

I am always in awe when opening threads by some of the best CS photographers (iamasaint, will03, joho, etc...). No doubt they are very nice images but i find that they are so predictably similar in their own personal style.
    Is this a good thing .... as in each photographer has crafted an unique personalised photoshooting style? or is it that they are running out of ideas?
    always the Light, .... always.

Default Re: So predictable .......

why confine yourself to CS..look what the rest of the world is doing.

I do not see anything wrong or bad with the predictability you mention. This is part of their personal style.
    Of course sticking to one style for too long probably isn't good (everyone likes to see variation - eventually), but this will probably be an evolution rather than a sudden change in style as it will make their work unfamiliar.

Member/Tangshooter

Perhaps its their personal style tat makes them the outstanding one..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

I agree to a point that having a uniquely identifiable style is good - but not when this translates to the same image each time with a different model - this is what I call "cookie-cutter" photography and only a step above passport photos.

A style should be combined with creativity (as was originally used to create the style) to produce new and interesting images. A style (as I understand it) is made up of a number elements, combining and mixing this elements is the creative component. Use all elements in each and every shot becomes boring and to use the TS words - predictable.
    sk.images, ex - cyber_m0nkey

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised
    I am always in awe when opening threads by some of the best CS photographers (iamasaint, will03, joho, etc...). No doubt they are very nice images but i find that they are so predictably similar in their own personal style.
    Is this a good thing .... as in each photographer has crafted an unique personalised photoshooting style? or is it that they are running out of ideas?
    If they have crafted a "unique personalised style", is that not what one would want.

Rather than trying many various styles and not being good at any of them.

You could go to a gallery made of many artists work and remark to someone, "hey, thats will03's work over there", because you recognised his crafted style.

Time, is an effortless construction :)

Do check out the galleries on photo.net as well if you're looking for more inspiration. The international member base of photo.net provides a much wider range of techniques and styles which may be what you're looking for.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    If they have crafted a "unique personalised style", is that not what one would want.

You could go to a gallery made of many artists work and remark to someone, "hey, thats will03's work over there", because you recognised his crafted style.

Really make sense!

Which is why most of the photographers create a portfolio to present their style of photography..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo

I would add to that!

Having a "style" - an "identity" is one of the most sort-after attribute a photographer strives for. An image that says " An ABC photo!".

However it is not just having a "style" that is important, but a "style" that shows images in a different way - in a way that tells a story differently. One can chose to use a fish-eye lens to take portraits and keep at it, and soon everybidy will recognise that "style". Or one can use a lomo that creates 8 tiny images in one shot and call that a "style". But is that "meaningful"? It is not for me to say, but posterity.

It is not just "style" but a unique way of telling stories that is important.

Hence, to the knowledgeable, a Helmut Newton image is instantly recognisable. Or a Richard Avedon. Or Peter Lindbergh. Or Arnold Newman. Or a Michael Kenna landscape. Etc Etc.

However despite an identity which clearly defines the "style" of such photographers, these photographers also have forays into other ways of making images.

But they have an identifiable "style".

Oh.. wat I wud give in order to be "predictable" if it means I can find my own voice in photography!

However, I can somewhat see where Canonised is coming from. Some "predictability" might actually come from the recycle of posing and expressions. Having a consistent style and being predictable can be mutually exclusive. I echo the call to look beyond our shores to be continuously inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by student
    IHaving a "style" - an "identity" is one of the most sort-after attribute a photographer strives for. An image that says " An ABC photo!"

What rubbish English! It is "sought", not "sort". Silly me!

Loooking at shinken's post, I suppose that it makes sense to differentiate between "style/signature" and predictability?

No?

Quote Originally Posted by student

Having a "style" - an "identity" is one of the most sort-after attribute a photographer strives for. An image that says " An ABC photo!".
    This is true ......
    But it can be predictably boring or predictably brillant/unique ....

IMHO, mattlock's style is predictably brillant ... but i can't say the same thing to some of the others .... whose model-photoshooting is becoming so predictably boring ... model's focussed eyes with strong bokehed background, etc.......
    always the Light, .... always.

This is true ......
    Well said That statement basically sums it up. Just because someone has a style doesn't make that style good or interesting or unique or...... It may also be that someone doesn't have an identifiable style but is a brilliant photographer (although this is rarer).
    sk.images, ex - cyber_m0nkey

This is true ......

IMHO, mattlock's style is predictably brillant ... but i can't say the same thing to some of the others .... whose model-photoshooting is becoming so predictably boring ... model's focussed eyes with strong bokehed background, etc.......
    I think I know what you are saying. But I believe you are confused.

When I see a Helmut Newton image, I can expect to see certain things, but his images are not boring. Predictable? Yes! Boring? No!

Or a Ralph Gibson image. Predictable substraction to the essentials. But I look forwards to seeing things in new ways which Gibson's images lead me to.

Or a Roversi portrait. Yes, I have seen many of his "predictable" portraits. But boring? No! I simply love the romantic feel he imparts to the portraits.

I believe you are bored seeing the same kind of images. I will not commend on the images posted here. But the "longevity" of an image depends not so much on technical knowhow or style or predictability, but on the ability of the photographer to write a "biography" about the subject at hand.

And I think here is where the problem is. Much of images here are nice pretty images with little story to tell.

Taste is subjective. To take an example of your quote.

You said mattlock's images are briliant. That is a perfectly legitimate opinion because it reflects your taste and sense of esthetics. To me, with the exception of Yun's images which I do like a lot, his images are very much gimmicky, trashy and of little good taste. But his images are "not predictable". Why do I like Yun's images? Because to me, the story is "deeper". Why do I not like the "chicken" series? Because to me, it is nothing more than trying to do things differently for the sake of being different. The story line is weak, very weak. But it will have immediate appeal, because it is different. People will look at the "chicken" images because they are different. But to me they are as profound as the "actor" who drank his urine on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber_m0nkey
    Well said That statement basically sums it up. Just because someone has a style doesn't make that style good or interesting or unique or...... It may also be that someone doesn't have an identifiable style but is a brilliant photographer (although this is rarer).

I think the word "rare" is an understatement.

I would be very interested to know of "brilliant" (highly subjective - but I think posterity is the better judge) photographers who do not have a point of view in his thinking, feeling and execution.

It is not easy to find one's own voice in photography. It is in fact very very difficult. If there are books, websites, courses, anyone who can teach me how to find my own style, I'll most willingly take it up. Those who had found their own voice deserves congratulations for their talent, effort or both.

After finding one's own style, finding breakthroughs is even more difficult. Avoiding 'repetition' of "visuals" that gave one the style is even harder. How to consistently duplicate (I borrow from student) the "feel"? I believe one cannot help but keep trying.