Thread: Do Wide Angle Lenses Really Have Greater Depth of Field Than Telephotos?

Default Do Wide Angle Lenses Really Have Greater Depth of Field Than Telephotos?

If your answer is Yes, or don't know.

Read this

Default Re: Do Wide Angle Lenses Really Have Greater Depth of Field Than Telephotos?

Although technically more or less correct. The premise of the article is incorrect. DOF is not calculated or related to how large the subject is in the frame, but rather (among other things) the focal lengeth, aperture and camera to subject distance. You can't prove or disprove a theory by changing more then one variable.

Using the same logic, I could easily prove that my car is capable of doing 400km/hr. I know it can do 200+ (i have done it), so all i need is another of the same doing the same speed but going in the opposite direction. So for the passengers in each car the effective speed of the other is 400km/hr. Technically this is correct, but.........
    sk.images, ex - cyber_m0nkey

Default Re: Do Wide Angle Lenses Really Have Greater Depth of Field Than Telephotos?

Good say! it's all depends on our point of view.

Blog Entries

actually if you note the trees and the dog in between the gremlin and the tower
    they are very different than those from the longer focal lenghts lenses.

i don't quite agree with the article but I don't know how to point out what's wrong.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

i thought a fair comparison would be to use the distance between subject and lens rather than using image size/proportion, the latter is affected by crop factor

that guy must be writing a thesis for his phd in photography hence need to write new theory.

Quote Originally Posted by jopel
    that guy must be writing a thesis for his phd in photography hence need to write new theory.
    phd = 頭が壊れています the head must be broken

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    phd = 頭が壊れています the head must be broken
    greatly damaged. he should use a 50mm and try DoF from 2 feet to infinity. don't even need to test on the tele-lens.

hmm..in order for writer to have the gremlin appear the same size in each frame, he would have to vary the camera to subject distance. so for wide angles he would have to go in really close. and as cyber_monkey pointed out, camera to subject distance is one of the factors that affects DOF. DOF gets shallower as you move closer to subject.

so the writer's test does not seem to support his statement about wide angle lenses. more like he just proved DOF depends on camera to subject distance.
    Last edited by madmacs; 17th July 2006 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    hmm..in order for writer to have the gremlin appear the same size in each frame, he would have to vary the camera to subject distance. so for wide angles he would have to go in really close. and as cyber_monkey pointed out, camera to subject distance is one of the factors that affects DOF. DOF gets shallower as you move closer to subject.
    can use photoshop to crop also

can use photoshop to crop also
    that is true but he didnt mention that. in fact he said..

"Each of the frames below was taken so that the gremlin doll is exactly the same size in each frame."

i take that to mean that camera to subject distance was adjusted accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    that is true but he didnt mention that. in fact he said..

"Each of the frames below was taken so that the gremlin doll is exactly the same size in each frame."

i take that to mean that camera to subject distance was adjusted accordingly.
    that's true, i wonder how he measured through the view finder somemore not all the shots are properly focussed on the same object
    Last edited by eikin; 17th July 2006 at 03:48 PM.

that's true, but i wonder how he measured through the view finder somemore not all the shots are properly focussed on the same object
    looks like he using EOS 1v. maybe he replaced focusing screen with the grid version.

i also dont really agree with the article.....

perhaps the idea is correct, but the way he is proving it is not correct....
    D70s-er Since 2005

Deregistered

Shoot more.

Chim........ instinct will tell me what f stop to use for wat lens i am using to get what shot. Just like driving a car you will not think first how much pressure to put on the left leg before you make a slow stop.. instinct will guide you..MY POV

Quote Originally Posted by soma
    Chim........ instinct will tell me what f stop to use for wat lens i am using to get what shot. Just like driving a car you will not think first how much pressure to put on the left leg before you make a slow stop.. instinct will guide you..MY POV
    It is not instinct it is experience.
    sk.images, ex - cyber_m0nkey

The writer Michael Reichmann is simply trying to prove a common statement that appears in some authoritative photographic books:

Quote from article: "In fact, if the subject image size remains the same, then at any given aperture all lenses will give the same depth of field"

To paraphrase, it simply means that if the object has the same magnification (on the film or sensor), at the same f-stop, the depth of field is always the same.

This phenomenon would appear strange to most photographers because instinctively, or from experience, they would expect different DOFs from different lenses, eg a 14mm versus a 600mm. Yet, it is theory that is probably based on sound mathematics and optical science.

In real life, there might be some differences as the diaphragms of the lenses could be differently shaped, the actual focal point are different, complicated by that the DOF before the focal point and the DOF behind the focal point might not be equal or proportional. While we could think about this and be confused further, it would be interesting to bring your camera out and try out this principle. It can actually be used to achieve certain desirable results when switching from one lens to another while maintaining magnification.

BTW, magnification depends on the distance of subject and the focal length of the lens.
    Last edited by An drew; 18th July 2006 at 11:54 AM.

Deregistered

The best way to convince one self is to take a WA go out shoot and verify. The results will be better than just reading offline and referencing books/MTF charts.