Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Photography as a profession

Default Re: Photography as a profession

Quote Originally Posted by niki
    hhmm.. u sound like a military man..
    Not military. Army don't want me.

But where ever you work, sure got arrow fly left right and centre one. But some is not arrow. Some is cruise missile. Where ever you run, cannot siam one.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman
    Well, as this stage, keep persevering in your studies. Minimum also must pass. Don't think of photography as a way out w/o any backup papers. It's like suicide in S'pore, man. Remember, hobby is one thing. Hobby is always fun and interesting. But when it becomes a job/profession, your outlook may certainly change. Right now, you shoot the things you want to shoot, your way. When you work for people, you may be tasked to shoot damn sian subjects over and over and over again.
    Yes, couldn't be more true.

GeckoZ, after reading thru the whole thread, Its apparent that you are still very unsure of yourself. One moment you are thinking of pro-photographer, next a photo-journalist , then a free-lance photographer. I think like synapseman had said, finish your studies first, then get a job in the related field, earn some stable income before think of venturing into other areas.
    Perhaps then you will have a clearer picture of what you want to achieve. There will be a lot more responsibility, burden and duties you will have to tackle once you step into the working world.

I believe a lot of us Csers would have turn pro if its that simple. Let's enjoy photography for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised
    Haha .... which profession is not like that? .....
    Yes, you're right.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Glenn and espn more pro la.

GeckoZ:
    Yes, you really should pursue your studies first. Being pro photographer isn't easy. Also it's subjective. Some people might like your style, but some don't.
    Sticking to it as a hobby is enough for me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Glenn and espn more pro la.

GeckoZ:
    Yes, you really should pursue your studies first. Being pro photographer isn't easy. Also it's subjective. Some people might like your style, but some don't.
    Sticking to it as a hobby is enough for me personally.
    i where gt pro. well. i dunno about espn thou. but many pros find me like microbacteria.. and tiak me off like nose sai....

well......... i think you havent learn how to walk, now want to run full time earn $ liao. so my advice. like all others... finish ur studies good and well.... and go army and slack and get $ den dun spend it anyhow..

when u get a good and stable job, u invest in yourself in some courses in Objectifs (they dun pay me.) or u can go NAFA or Ngee Ann and apply for a part time FSV course. and slowly move on.

but if u can afford a dslr now, it would be better, so u can learn the basics and learn constantly as you move on.

put it as this. If you are passionate about something then go for it. You will not regret it. On limiting CREATIVITY...i would like to tell you that by limitations it makes u think more and stirs up ur creativity. If you can go around with constraints and do amazing stuff, thats creativity. I started out with a 5200 and it takes gorgeous pictures even better den some of my current dslr. Its how you frame the shots that count! so go and work on it! yea haha my 2 cents worth

TO GLENNYONG ABOVE. I am from fsv! haha IT ROCKS MAN....EVERYONE GO FOR IT>....
    Last edited by renewification; 18th July 2006 at 10:15 PM.

Red face Re: Photography as a profession

Yo, veterans... What and where is 'Objectifs'?

wat is FSV?

Red face Re: Photography as a profession

Quote Originally Posted by simon80
    wat is FSV?
    Film Sound & Video...

ya lor, wad is Objectifs?

although i'm a Life science student, i'm currently taking an elective course from the media module. I hope this more or less helps, but it's only a 16 days class and photography takes up less then 5 days.

anyway, renewification, i don't worry much about framing, it's the low light sensitivity in the Canon S2 that gives me headach cos i can't be bringing the tripod around with the camera even when it's day time.. pretty troublsome.
    Blur pics are quite discouraging..

glenn, looks like i just gotta be more patient and wait.. but the beautiful photos from SLR are tempting me... :|
    Last edited by GeckoZ; 19th July 2006 at 12:31 AM.

PRO photog is only if you can try this
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN
    LoL~ is that suppose to be a joke or what?

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN

i thought is something serious ..

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoZ

although i'm a Life science student, i'm currently taking an elective course from the media module. I hope this more or less helps, but it's only a 16 days class and photography takes up less then 5 days.

anyway, renewification, i don't worry much about framing, it's the low light sensitivity in the Canon S2 that gives me headach cos i can't be bringing the tripod around with the camera even when it's day time.. pretty troublsome.

glenn, looks like i just gotta be more patient and wait.. but the beautiful photos from SLR are tempting me... :|
    Hmm, don't mind me, but here's a link with many decent and superb photos from the Canon Powershot S2. It is quite a powerful prosumer camera, and frankly, it has the ability to take great landscape photos in the day, without a tripod.

TrekEarth's Canon S2 images

pommedujardin's photos on TrekEarth
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

blur pics disencouraging ? den u better get used thou... DSLr doesnt not mean sharp pictures every time also. DSLR doesnt solve any problems if u have jelly hands.

be patient. and Powershot S2 i tot got IS ? how come still can get blur pics ?

if there is IS and u still get blur pics, it means ur fundamentals have problems....

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    Hmm, don't mind me, but here's a link with many decent and superb photos from the Canon Powershot S2. It is quite a powerful prosumer camera, and frankly, it has the ability to take great landscape photos in the day, without a tripod.

TrekEarth's Canon S2 images

pommedujardin's photos on TrekEarth
    Thanks for the links up there. actually i was trying to say i got the blur pics when the light is low and you have to use a longer shutter speed, then without any tripod, you will get blur pics lor. and 1 more thing is that, the Auto Focus isn't precise enough, and the Manual Focus takes a longer time to adjust as compared to a SLR, so under certain kind of shots, candid for instance, i would always have problem with it's sharpness.

any idea how to solve these problems??

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    blur pics disencouraging ? den u better get used thou... DSLr doesnt not mean sharp pictures every time also. DSLR doesnt solve any problems if u have jelly hands.

be patient. and Powershot S2 i tot got IS ? how come still can get blur pics ?

if there is IS and u still get blur pics, it means ur fundamentals have problems....

DSLR has got higher light sensitivity so it dosen't requires long shutter speed as much as S2 IS right??
    I can get blur pics due to long shutter speed and often out of focus..

Honestly, if you can take good pics with your S2, you're on our way to Pro because Pro do compromise and learn work about their cameras in different situation too.

Pro also started from being a beginner. They too take many many countless pictures with hand-shake, noisy images.... somemore, ten years ago, it was all flim. Loading the ISO 400 and shooting at ISO 100. ISO 1600 on flim is superbly noisy too. Work abouts... post processing.

Pros learn about marketing, web designing, photo cataloging, album designs, portfolio, Adobe Photoshop, Inputs & Outputs of photography, from framing to print-outs. the entire process, how to market your stuff, how to market your services, your studio...

Even if you become a freelance, you should take note of the cost of equipment. Camera, accessories, tripod, batteries, CF, bags, computer, printer, software, monitor.

You still have time to consider. Try to shoot more with your S2. The S2 is quite a versatile camera for different types of photography. Keep shooting and explore!

DSLR has got higher light sensitivity so it dosen't requires long shutter speed as much as S2 IS right??
    I can get blur pics due to long shutter speed and often out of focus..
    ISO ratings same across cams are same.

Anyway, below link my fireworks shots are taken hand held at 1/10 sec with IS.
    here
    Last edited by CYRN; 19th July 2006 at 02:24 PM.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by davsmiths
    Honestly, if you can take good pics with your S2, you're on our way to Pro because Pro do compromise and learn work about their cameras in different situation too.

Pro also started from being a beginner. They too take many many countless pictures with hand-shake, noisy images.... somemore, ten years ago, it was all flim. Loading the ISO 400 and shooting at ISO 100. ISO 1600 on flim is superbly noisy too. Work abouts... post processing.

Pros learn about marketing, web designing, photo cataloging, album designs, portfolio, Adobe Photoshop, Inputs & Outputs of photography, from framing to print-outs. the entire process, how to market your stuff, how to market your services, your studio...
    those were the days... when one roll of superia 200 is like $2.50.... and when my good ol days.. when i can shutter happy with my FM2 and go broke for the whole week with no money to eat... cos money all go photo shop uncle.....

now i know why he always see me always smile... (i mean last time... )

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast