Thread: Dear Photobum and me

Default Dear Photobum and me

Dearest Kopitiam:

Sorry that I have to keep talking about the matter that we have discussed previously (see: http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=208526 , especially the more recent pages). But there is a reason I had to pick it up again............and I hope I can clear his mind in these troubled days for Dear Photobum with his study mothers living next door to him........

Cause I had just received a PM from photobum after his 'weekend trip' to rainy Thailand where he had spent a well deserved rest, and yet he was still thinking of how to answer me:

Default Re: Dear Photobum and me

photobum vbmenu_register("postmenu_", true);

PDMMs Revealed.
    Just FYI, this is an article I collected from a Singapore immigration website.

"Study mamas exploit their children by using them as lame excuses that they need an education in Spore, in truth, they are merely self-serving people furthering their own interests in netting a rich sugar daddy to finance their businesses like opening massage parlours & further exploiting their own kind, the study mamas themselves.

They also exploit loopholes in our system to gain legitimacy by hooking up with any available Spore male willing to sponsor them as PRs. After that its Spore citizenship. Once they get it, ah, their wonderful true colors show up, they leave their newly acquired Spore hubby for ang moh man or migrate to Australia, USA or Canada using Spore as stepping stone. Then, Spore male goes to the press, cry baby & spill out how exploited he feels. Oh come on wakeee, wakeee, see these PRC women for what they are."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** Moderators: I have no personal nor psychological problems (he he he) receiving these messages from photobum in my PM box, so just let it be...........(just in case). It is sad though........for him to still not having a clear mind. Because below I will report some articles that I found on the web regarding his claims and some other related topics.

There are three articles in particular that I wanted to show to Photobum and others here who may harbor the same thoughts:

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/st...109836,00.html

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/st...109833,00.html

http://www.getformesingapore.com/pre...nsingapore.htm

From the last article:

"Out of more than 6,000 study mothers in Singapore, less than 40 study mothers were caught for illegal activities for the period from Jan to Jul 2005."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the second article above:

"
    Madam Hou Yan, 45, mother of an 8-year-old girl, admitted there are study mamas who use their children as an 'excuse' to come to Singapore to work. But she said: 'Don't discriminate against all of us because of these black sheep. They are just the minority.'

Their words are backed by the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority.
    Said its spokesman: 'ICA notes that the vast majority of study mothers do not abuse the passes issued to them by getting involved in vice-related activities.
    'Nonetheless, ICA takes a serious view of foreigners who abuse their immigration facilities. We will not hesitate to take necessary action against them.'"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who thinks that foreign students are taking education enrollment places away from locals:

http://singaporeangle.blogspot.com/2...education.html

http://singaporeangle.blogspot.com/2...-issue-of.html

Tentative conclusion of the writer:
    But this also means that the claim that it has become harder for the local is at best only tangentially related to the issue of an increasing number of interational students in the local universities. For instance, it is just not obvious that he or she is fighting with more people for either fewer or the same number of places--in fact, there are more places in general. And abstracting from the international students, roughly the same number of locals are fighting for roughly the same number of places. That seems to be the impression given by the numbers.

But:
    Note: this does not mean, of course, that there aren't other serious issues that can't be raised with regards to the increasing number of international students--whether it is such a good thing to have so many of them, whether they should be given the same level of tuition grant, whether Singaporeans have been discriminated against when applying for a place in the residential halls, whether the international students are sufficiently competent in English, whether having such a large international student body has any connection whatsoever with improving education experience, or university reputation, or rankings--all of which are good questions that can and should be debated (assuming that we even have hard data to work with). My point is only this: it is just not obvious that even if all the international students are not there, anything would really change--objectively speaking--for the typical local student applying for admission at one of the local universities, unless, one assumes that a larger proportion of the local students at the pre-U level (which, incidentally, has been fairly constant in absolute terms in the time period) ought to be given a place in the local universities.

I don't know what the discussion previously was about, but .....

I know one or two PDMMs personally and I can say that it's tough enough making ends meet and seeing their children through education, let alone being made to feel unwelcome and discriminated against in a foreign country. In their own country, some of them are actually well-qualified e.g. teachers. Imagine a teacher coming here to work as a house cleaner (for example). Such is the power of parental love.

It could easily been us in their shoes, just that our ancestors made the choice to do it generations ago instead of now.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by melnjes
    I don't know what the discussion previously was about, but .....

I know one or two PDMMs personally and I can say that it's tough enough making ends meet and seeing their children through education, let alone being made to feel unwelcome and discriminated against in a foreign country. In their own country, some of them are actually well-qualified e.g. teachers. Imagine a teacher coming here to work as a house cleaner (for example). Such is the power of parental love.

It could easily been us in their shoes, just that our ancestors made the choice to do it generations ago instead of now.

Cheers!
    That's why I posted those news articles here, cause I don't think Dear Photobum would believe my words, since I am in his eyes not competent enough to talk about this issue :-(

It is up to him to understand the REAL situation instead of BELIEVING something that may not be true........I am just showing him part of the way, he has to thread the path himself........I feel like a social worker.

A friend of mine said Dear Photobum seems to be a 'very unhappy person', yes I agree on this, and I hope we can show him a way to understand the situation better so that he won't suffer from this terrible disease called 'anger' anymore.

Hong Sien
    Last edited by hongsien; 17th July 2006 at 01:13 AM.

I support your view and its just too bad some people are xenophobic while some are plain bo chap. I'm also a PR so my view may be considered biased.

So where is Photobum?