Thread: Children on the bridge

Default Children on the bridge - Free feel to comment .

I had post this before .. but back in the days when clubsnap just started back in 2002 or 2003 -
    The title and what i wrote is a direct cut -- even withou the spell check whahhahahaha

This little girl carrying a baby came to me Begging for money -

there are the children that earn a living at the Bridge between the Thailand and Burma border - if you read my juronal you would know that is sun is killing hot
    and there is a problem of SARS in asian now - yet this don't seem to make any different for this little child and the baby -

i really don't know what how to put the right description as i got lot of mix feeling when i see her

i ask her if i can take a few photo of her and she say ok provided if i pay her - so i took out
    20 baht ( $0.5 USD )and a pack of Candy i got while i was shopping in Burma and got 4 photo of her - well i know she is professional begger

but i can't help to pity her cos she is a Smart kids but just cos she is born at the wrong place - she might not have a good future - as when she get older who know what will become of her - can't help to worry in fact .

i hope the next trip to burma to re-new of visa i will see her again
    and i try to do some update if i do -

Hope you love it

Addition words -
    i would like to add a few point -
    The shadow is intented .. the background kids is intented .. i wanna show PLAY and WORK CONTRAST - as well as HEAT and Weather .. is a play of contrast of feeling and emotional trapment

Feel free to comment .
    is taken with a COOLPIX 5000
    I did not take note of what ASA , or Ap or speed .. just a shot taken with what i felt best visually and emotionally .

Here the direct link - i can't seem to get it to '[img]' the imagine for viewer //

http://www.deviantart.com/view/1878751/

Last edited by Uvlux; 16th July 2006 at 11:01 PM.

Default Re: Children on the bridge

can't see any picture

For Those who can't see any Photo -- here a direct link to the photo on deviantart

http://www.deviantart.com/view/1878751/

If there is still any problem do let me know so i can upload on my server and redirect the link ..

trying to cut down traffic on my own server ..

osix uvlux
    Last edited by Uvlux; 16th July 2006 at 09:52 AM.

Put yourself in a third party's shoes, and use his eyes. Do you think - and see - that he sees what you intended in your picture? If not why and if so how do you then make him see what you want to say. If you can do this, you have got the best critic: yourself. And then you can critique yourself even before you release the shutter.

first of all i would wanna say thanks for your comment
    The photo speak itself .. and yes i alway find that the best review if self review
    to see oneself is as much as a mirror reflection of how you see others and how others see you .. photography is the same ..

is how deep you want to go .. layer after layer .. not to get too complex ..as viewer do not offen want to enage in a study trip of your shot -- but await to be amaze or awe by one instead.. ..

i once told a friends " as mcuh as we try to be diffrent we are all the same "
    everyone we see is a reflection of our own ..

thanks for the comment . i will take note . and shall devolpe more into it .

osix uvlux

The boy below is a bit distracting
    The overall emotion of the child is still captured

the sun is in her eyes... she's squinting... i'm not sure if this pic works from the angle tat u're taking. well u probably have your reason in doing so.

do u hv another pic taken from her level?

U have Taken about 5 shot --

This is the shot i choose . - i am using my shadow to contrast how small she is and even more the baby she is carrying ..

The boy in the backgroud is use to contrast - work and play ..
    and yeh is really hot - i am sweating as i took the shot .. i put her against the sun .. so i can get the shadow .. i am lucky -- the rest of the kids begger just having fun watching what i am doing right behind me ... ( about 1 doz of kids begger )

osix uvlux

Personally i don't get the feeling of emotional entrapment. Rather it's a sense of extreme squinting and discomfiture. The sense of play and work isn't there as well. Perhaps a more focussed shot on the child would've made it more poignant.

Quote Originally Posted by Uvlux
    U have Taken about 5 shot --

This is the shot i choose . - i am using my shadow to contrast how small she is and even more the baby she is carrying ..

The boy in the backgroud is use to contrast - work and play ..
    and yeh is really hot - i am sweating as i took the shot .. i put her against the sun .. so i can get the shadow .. i am lucky -- the rest of the kids begger just having fun watching what i am doing right behind me ... ( about 1 doz of kids begger )

osix uvlux
    just from my thought, using your shadow to contrast how small she is, don't work for me.

and what story do you want to tell us through this pic???
    Open My Eyes That I May See Wonderful Things In Your Law - Psalms 119:18
    Through My Len

The context is about this group of Kids who spend their TIme on the Thai and burma border bridge . Begging . i took the shot . on a pre layout .. format which i arrange her to stand by the side . . showing the river below . ..

i hope i can do it in a more powerful way . but the hot sun is giving me very limited angle .

osix uvlux

The crop is very tight. Showing more of the background would add more context to the foreground subject. Or perhaps the background was too messy, which in this case would be better not to take the shot.

I see the idea is to capture the struggle of the children in the context of their daily lives. But, it seems the picture of merely capturing the girl's irritation of the moment (direct sunlight getting into her eyes).

One simple technique that seems to work for this type of shot is to position the lens at the eye level of the subject and directly immerses the viewer into their world.

The angle is also not what I'd take. But then it's personal to your own taste. However, the shadow of the photographer cast into the picture is a mistake one should always avoid.