Thread: studio set-up at home

Default studio set-up at home

Dear friends,

i'm toying with the idea of converting one of my room (HDB) into a studio for general portrait shoots.

Can you recommend the set up, the models number of lightings to use and the general equipments please?

Thank you in advance for you guys' reply.

Smile Re: studio set-up at home

a typical hdb bedroom is not suitable as it is not big enough. however, larger living room may be adequate. for a start, two to three flashheads may be enough. a simple background support system.

Default Re: studio set-up at home

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    a typical hdb bedroom is not suitable as it is not big enough. however, larger living room may be adequate. for a start, two to three flashheads may be enough. a simple background support system.
    Does 2/3 small flash head (example: SB-800) with umbrella's will do too?

Thank u reachme2003,

what model of flashlight would u recommend?

Dear all,

What are some of the brand you'd recommend for a studio flashlight? Any particular model?

Thanks much

I was doing some research recently also.

Firstly, for a small setup, a couple of umbrella's with hotshoe flashes and slave triggers should do the job nicely.

If you take a look at this thread I posted recently, the main light is only a Nikon SB26 at 1/4 power shooting through a 60" umbrella. The SB26 has built-in slave trigger, and I used an SB24 on my camera set to minimum power and pointing at the ceiling to trigger the SB-26.

So before you spend bigger bucks on studio strobes, you might want to get the umbrella and holder and try out with your existing hotshoe flash first.

I wanted to get a setup large enough to take family portraits, so I decided to get a 300ws monolight. I initially hoped to limit the price to US$200 but at the end decided on Paterson Interfit Stellar 300WS from B&H for US$225 shipped.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Here's a webpage that compares a few of the current popular budget studio flashes:
    http://www.photonomics.com/sub300.htm

I also just won a bid on ebay for a medium sized softbox.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOTO-LIGHT-SILV...QQcmdZViewItem
    The company "amvona" who sold this has got very mixed reviews (outside of ebay feedback), but I am only paying US$34.50 for the item shipped, so I am keeping my finger's crossed.

Next will be the lightstands and background system....
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Smile Re: studio set-up at home

i think they will do too.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by iltriumph
    Dear friends,

i'm toying with the idea of converting one of my room (HDB) into a studio for general portrait shoots.

Can you recommend the set up, the models number of lightings to use and the general equipments please?

Thank you in advance for you guys' reply.
    depends on what you want to do with the lights...full length shots, group shots, etc...and also your budget and commitment (how often you will be using it) and style...
    Last edited by theRBK; 18th July 2006 at 12:37 PM.

thank u roygoh and all for your replies.

i'll certainly read your link and will revert back. Thanks again Roy

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum
    tat will be gd enough for head n shoulder shots.

Dear Friends,

I've noticed that in a studio setting, there are times when the photographer uses flash from his camera and other time when he'd just depend on the lightings in the surrounding.

So my question is when do we use our camera flash and when just the studio lightings? And which is better?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Sorry guys. I've just read the link Roygoh PMed me and the answer can be found there. So no need to trouble u all with your time.

Thanks Roy for the 8th time

Simple answer.

If you have studio strobes of course use it. Use whatever you have. Obvious reason why studio lights are better as you can see below.

Studio Strobes = Recyling time is faster, colours are more accurate, it runs on electricity (so no worries on battery), higher GN, broader light source when you use a soft box.

SB-800 = I would not recommended at all. I only use SB-800 when I bo pian. Bo pian as in space constraint and no electrical outlet. Natural lighting is use when you see a potential BG.

From my own personal experience, there is NO limit on what you can do but thre are guidelines you must understand. Use what you have and make full use of it for now. You must understand the BASIC lighting techniques. If not, even if you buy a $10,000 worth of studio lighting will not help you at all.

After you go through all that, you will not be asking this question.........ever.

You can also attend a paid studio shoot session to get a better feel of lighting setup.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

thanks for the replies.

any recommendation for a place to get 2nd hand studio lightings?