Thread: Price Guide for Photography Equipment, ala HardwareZone

Default Price Guide for Photography Equipment, ala HardwareZone

I'm thinking of starting a price guide for photographic equipment that is similar in concept to HardwareZone.com, since it seems no one else has done it yet, at least for us locals. I know that a few people have created their own price guides, but what I intend to do is to collate everything together.

I guess it would make it easier to find out about the latest prices. But I think for this to be successful, I would need quite a lot of support from you guys.

So far, I'm still toying with the idea. For the more computer savvy among you, I'll be putting all the data in a database, so the price lists will be generated automatically.

I guess I would need help mainly with keeping the price list up to date, among other things, as I have limited time.

Do post what you'd like to have on the website.

For the moment, I guess I'll host it on my own server.

We'll see if this takes off. Any comments would be most welcome.

uhm.....what's the intend behind this? eventually to be a "full-service" site with camera reviews, news, etc? this is sure gonna take lotsa maintainence effort for one, and secondly we won't be able to get camera price lists like we get for pc h/w in SLS; they don't publish them as much... also camera prices (esp digicams) tend to fluctuate a lot due to seasonality so it may be hard to keep up with the changes.

i think this is one reason why MS has things like equote w/ validity of 30days, etc...

well, juz my 2cts

a database of actual user reports would be more useful than price guides. theres been some attempt to post user reviews in CS but because of the nature of forum not that easy to search...

I see your point. Ah well, just an idea.

Well...I'm not so sure whether it'll work as well for photography equipments as compared to PC hardwares.

Off-hand, I can think of 2 restricting factors and probably, just probably because of these, that's why so far no has taken up the challenge or make a sustained effort.

1. They (as in those shops that focus on selling cameras and stuffs) never display their prices. Thus how is one going to get the prices of ALL the stuffs?
    2. Even if that can be resolved, the prices quoted will vary with salespeople (within the same store) and whether the buyer's a regular or not.

Just my thoughts.

I don't think we will be able to provide up to date pricing maybe if 5 different pricing is submitted ,you can display the range say price of a lens at 120,125,130,135,140, you display as $120-140 and display the average $130.
    I agree that the site should include review of the product too but that takes alot of effort, may not be practical as the market in Singapore is small.

actually, what i had in mind is to create a gallery-type of website not to compete with the likes of pbase.com but as a staging area for those who eventually wants to get them printed in digital labs. with a constant demand for prints (from participants), we might just get the 'volume' needed to negotiate with printing labs on better prices (e.g. 25c-30c per 4R), on good paper (e.g. royal), includes postage (free maybe!), AND w/o processing or handling fees (so someone can just print 2 copies!)....

btw, there is somekind of member vs camera data being collected in HWZ digi forum here... http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showt...threadid=89048
    i wonder if anyone is going to do anything wif it though.
    Last edited by hans; 1st January 2003 at 10:23 PM.

Thumbs up

That's a good idea! Salute you! If you do it for free! Intend to use ASP??

Wow, that's really major.

Following the early replies, I'm having second thoughts about it, because those comments made are very valid. I guess for now, we'll just have to stick to ClubSNAP, and do a search.