Thread: Travelling in Cambodia

Default Travelling in Cambodia

Planning to go Cambodia for a 3 days short trip. Will concentrate in Seam Reap. What else to see and photograph in that area beside Angor Wat?

Default Re: Travelling in Cambodia

You can check out the Russian market and Central market. Great buys.

3 days is a little short, I assume this includes travelling time from SIN to Siem Reap? That means you even have less time to spend. The temples are huge and there are so many of them, you need more than three days to see all at a more leisurely way. you can buy a VISA at the airport for USd 20 (bring your own picture).

Entrance to Angkor site: USD 40/3 days, and USd 60 for a week.
    If you have no choice, only visit the main temples: Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom (Bayon is inside), and Banthey Srei (to see a different style).

Hire a car with driver, or a tuk tuk.......they are also excellent guides for the routes (not so much for the temples themselves). Costs: about USD 20/day for the tuk tuk, car maybe higher now, but was USD 20/day 5 years ago. This year I only took a tuk tuk.

You can also hire bikes yourself, but to support the locals it is advisable to take a tuk tuk or car.....

Hong Sien

There are some vilages n the area, fishing villages too off the beaten tracks.......consult a travel agent there, or ask a good driver or tuk tuk driver who knows the area.

HS

Try the Tonle Sap Lake(boat cruise), portraits of those lived by the lake. Their faces(expressions) are as photogenic as the Angkor Temples

u can visit the waterfall at Phnom Kulen. its an hr+ drive off the beaten track...while there, oso visit Kbal Spean - where u can find lingas crafted on the stream bed...

like wat others say, get a good guide.

well, for such a short trip, maybe u want to focus on a few major attractions or the must sees. i think Angkor wat itself, Angkor Thom (which encompasses Bayon, the elephant terrance, etc) and Ta Phohm will be worth your time. If you do have the time, say an afternoon to spare, Tonle Sap Lake is another good place to visit. It gives a break from all the busy temples.

Price-wise, the standard is USD20/day for a car in the Angkor Area, USD30/day if want to go to Banteay Srei, USD25/day if you want to go to Bakong. Tu-tu is USD12/day.

If you want to go to Tonle Sap lake, it will be worth-while to ask a tour agent or your hotel/guesthouse to help you arrange. You can save a few dollars per person, and saves some hassle.

Food-wise, I find the food in general is pretty good. Cambodian food is very much like thai food, spicy and a bit sour. And you may be surprised, the price is lower in Siem Reap town (the old market area, or where all the pubs are) than in Angkor Wat area. In general, you can have a pretty decent meal for USD5/person at a resturant. They are slow in serving food, so order your food early if you are hungry. The Angkor beer is not bad, either.

For drinking water, you can buy from the shops in Siem Reap town, it is about USD1.00 for a dozen. We got cheated, paid USD3 for a dozen

Ask for a copy of the Siem Reap Angkor visitors guide from your hotel or guesthouse, it is free.

If you are charitable enough, you can also donate blood at the angkor children's hospital. The hospital was established and is supported by a swiss charity. They provide international standard health care to the children in the country. you will not miss this hospital, as it is on you way to angkor wat, and it has this huge statue of the head of King Jayavarman VII on the roof. But to most of the visitors, that head just looks like any other buddha head statue.

and don't forget, get plenty of USD1.00 or USD5.00 notes. They will come in handy. If you have any leftover thai bahts from your trips to thailand, bring them along. thai bahts are also accepted and sometimes prefered by the street boys selling guide books, post cards, etc

Have fun, Siem Reap is a nice place to visit, a break away from the busy life in sg.
    Last edited by barracuda; 15th July 2006 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda
    If you are charitable enough, you can also donate blood at the angkor children's hospital.
    Do they re-use the needles?

Quote Originally Posted by AReality

What i know is they don't.

Thanks for so much useful info...
    So it is all temple and ruins other than the Tonle Sap Lake...
    Will see if i can get squeeze out 4 days for the trip....

So any advise on camera equipments? Lens choice. Any power adaptors issues etc...?

Bring your own needle?

Now it is the rainy season over there, the weather is hot and wet. the locals will tell u to go out around 7am - 9am, then again 3pm onwards. when i was there a few weeks ago, there was rain ususally from 11am to 2-3pm. see how lucky u r lah.

power adaptor-wise, i have no problem with my canon battery charger, which is using a two pin plug.

photography-wise, i think a monopod, or even better, a tripod is necessary, esp if u go to Ta Prohm. Ta Prohm i think is also the location where they filmed the movie 'the tomb raider', it has beautiful jungle scenes, but it is in general dark, for the light is being blocked by all the tall trees.

I only had a 28-135mm lens, so not much choice for me, although i think it will better if u can have a wide angle, and a macro for temple details.

btw, the road to tonle sap lake is bumpy, with big holes all along the way. It is worthwhile to hire a car, instead of a tuk-tuk if u go there.
    Last edited by barracuda; 15th July 2006 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by weekh
    ...So any advise on camera equipments? Lens choice. Any power adaptors issues etc...?
    bring a wide lens if u hv one...n nd or cpl filter for harsh noon sun. but believe its raining season now, so may not need it.

i brot my 12-24, 50 n a tele lens, which e latter hardly used. like barracuda explained, a fast lens is very necessary in certain temples (ta prohm, preah khan or corridors inside angkor wat) where natural lighting is poor. I'd suggest a 35mm cos i find e 50mm abit too tight for indoor shoots.

cheers

My wife doesn't really like the place. From the photos she see, everything looks black and dark and boring. Wanted something colourful and cheerful. So switched location to Danang in Vietnam.

Quote Originally Posted by weekh
    My wife doesn't really like the place. From the photos she see, everything looks black and dark and boring. Wanted something colourful and cheerful. So switched location to Danang in Vietnam.
    Well, it is more about history, religion, and it is all stone ruins, so you need to like it........I do!!!

Kamouchea is not only about temple ruins though.....
    The people there are wonderful! Especially the kids!

Have fun in Vietnam! Hope you will visit Kampuchea one fine day......

HS