Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Buying Canon EOS 350D from overseas

  1. #1

    Default Buying Canon EOS 350D from overseas

    Hi guys, I am thinking buying 350D from one of the US webstore as the price is attractive compared to that sold in Singapore. However my concern is will the 350D covered by local warranty in case any problem come out with the camera in the future? Anyone ever bought DSLR from overseas?

    Appreciate you help very much!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Buying Canon EOS 350D from overseas

    I got my 300D from overseas (Singapore), luckily I had no problems with it.
    However, if I did have problems, I don't think local warranty (Australia) would cover it! In the same way, if you buy from US, I don't think Singapore will service it covered by warranty

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    389

    Default Re: Buying Canon EOS 350D from overseas

    is it very much cheaper? always think its safer to buy a set with local warranty.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Buying Canon EOS 350D from overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by blithevincent
    Hi guys, I am thinking buying 350D from one of the US webstore as the price is attractive compared to that sold in Singapore. However my concern is will the 350D covered by local warranty in case any problem come out with the camera in the future? Anyone ever bought DSLR from overseas?

    Appreciate you help very much!
    I bought mine in australia (as $200 cheaper)

    BUT ... warranty as written on the warranty card is valid in Australia & NZ only.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Buying Canon EOS 350D from overseas

    as far as I know 350D is about S$400 cheaper sold in US. I am wondering why singapore selling it so expensive.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Buying Canon EOS 350D from overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by blithevincent
    as far as I know 350D is about S$400 cheaper sold in US. I am wondering why singapore selling it so expensive.
    Singapore sells it more ex because there is a demand for it...

    ppl here like to 'show off' and buy more then what they need.

    but thats just my opinion ...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Buying Canon EOS 350D from overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by blithevincent
    as far as I know 350D is about S$400 cheaper sold in US. I am wondering why singapore selling it so expensive.
    Usually, things like cameras are more expensive in US
    not trying to be rude, the website selling body alone or kit?
    also, did u factor in shipping?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Buying Canon EOS 350D from overseas

    Don't forget, you need to pay 5% GST also.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: Buying Canon EOS 350D from overseas

    As far as I know, there is no intl warranty for camera bodies. Only lenses.

    If it spoils here, you're on your own. In fact some manufacturers charge higher repair rates for parallel imported models.... I don't think canon does this but I know of one other manufacturer that does.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Buying Canon EOS 350D from overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    Don't forget, you need to pay 5% GST also.

    Regards,
    Arto.
    actually not, the camera will be shipped to you as "gift", thus no GST is applied.
    If you ever bought something this way, you will know.
    Last edited by blithevincent; 14th July 2006 at 05:00 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Buying Canon EOS 350D from overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by tvjames
    Singapore sells it more ex because there is a demand for it...

    ppl here like to 'show off' and buy more then what they need.

    but thats just my opinion ...
    nice one

  12. #12

    Default Re: Buying Canon EOS 350D from overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy
    Usually, things like cameras are more expensive in US
    not trying to be rude, the website selling body alone or kit?
    also, did u factor in shipping?
    Hi grumpy, I am afraid DSLRs are selling cheaper in US and China than in Singapore. Believe it or not, but It's truth...
    Last edited by blithevincent; 14th July 2006 at 04:58 PM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Buying Canon EOS 350D from overseas

    I think Manufacturers control the retail prices in each country to prevent price war between retailers and thereby protect the profits of the retail shops which actually act like distribution arms of the manufacturers to consumers. Although they don't fixed the exact retail price, I think they do have some price floors (below which retailers are not allowed to sell) in their agreement with the retailers.

    In this way, retailers are encouraged to sell their products without worrying excessively about profit margins being squeezed by price competition among shops.

    That's why at PC/electronic shows, you don't see cameras selling much cheaper than what you can get in retail shops. Some retailers go around the price floor by bundling the camera with other accessories (extra memory card, tripod, bags, cleaning kit etc.) in such a way that it can be argued that those accessories are sold at very low prices (or even free) while the camera itself is still sold at/above price floor set by the manufacturers.

    In deciding the retail price floor in each country, the manufacturers take into consideration the income level of the country as well as the importance of the retail shops to the manufacturers, level of competitive pressure from other manufacturers (through their distribution network) in the country, local competition laws, etc.
    Last edited by Clockunder; 14th July 2006 at 05:48 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Buying Canon EOS 350D from overseas

    thanks Clockunder for your information.
    Can you also answer my very first question?

  15. #15

    Default Re: Buying Canon EOS 350D from overseas

    I bought my 350D body only as a US grey set so there was no warranty. It was about $200-$300 cheaper even after shipping (i saved on GST cause it was brought in by a friend)
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

  16. #16

    Default Re: Buying Canon EOS 350D from overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by blithevincent
    thanks Clockunder for your information.
    Can you also answer my very first question?
    If the local you refer to is Singapore, the answer to your first question is a resounding 'NO'.

    As mentioned by the others, there will be no local (Singapore) warranty. The warranty with the camera will be local to where it was purchased.

  17. #17

    Talking Re: Buying Canon EOS 350D from overseas

    It will probably come with a manufacturers warranty but you could have a lot of trouble getting it serviced. Good luck with that. I wish I had one in stock. I would give you a good deal.


    http://www.camcordersandcameras.com/

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Buying Canon EOS 350D from overseas

    Will Canon SG accept the application for the extended warranty if the set is bought in USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Frijj
    If the local you refer to is Singapore, the answer to your first question is a resounding 'NO'.

    As mentioned by the others, there will be no local (Singapore) warranty. The warranty with the camera will be local to where it was purchased.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •