Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poor student shouted hysterically to himself at Hougang MRT station today.

Default Re: Poor student shouted hysterically to himself at Hougang MRT station today.

Maybe I should try that too...

Default Re: Poor student shouted hysterically to himself at Hougang MRT station today.

Pardon me, not trying to sound unsympathetic or anything, but really, WHAT major issues does a student have other than being responsible to him/herself and studying hard?

I know, BGR bla bla bla, but at 15 or even 16, WHAT BGR should said students be engaging in?

Maybe it's the opening of too many avenues of information, the innocence is lost at an earlier age. Parents that demand top grades outta their children unreasonably aren't guilt-free too.

If said students are mentally ill or suffer from depression, then yes, it's inevitable and we should try to be sympathetic. But taking a shotgun approach and saying students these days feel alot of stress, come off it. U mean adults don't feel stress and have it easy? For every level of stress a student feels, adults feel 3 times as much. How about something as simple as, "will I lose my job tomorrow?" or for the unemployed "where's the next meal coming from?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nisa
    Too many parents hold down too much responsibilities other than their own children.
    As a somewhat parent, I felt the school should help out too. Cause children spent the most time in school, and usually there is where they would interact socially as well.

Unforunately, i have to say i am not getting enough support from the school.
    Sorry Nisa, but other than to facilitate the education of a child and ensure the child's safety during school hours, why should the school help out in looking after your child?

As they say, education begins AT HOME. The school and their teachers are facilitators to enhance the education process. They are not the children's nanny.

Quote Originally Posted by precious.jas
    Maybe I should try that too...
    Feeling stress? Come, come I'll offer you my studio. you can shout all you want without anyone saying you're a " seow cha bor " and I'll record it all on camera. It'll be something diff. for your portfolio. After all the shouting I'll even buy you dinner
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by G-man
    Pardon me, not trying to sound unsympathetic or anything, but really, WHAT major issues does a student have other than being responsible to him/herself and studying hard?

I know, BGR bla bla bla, but at 15 or even 16, WHAT BGR should said students be engaging in?

Maybe it's the opening of too many avenues of information, the innocence is lost at an earlier age. Parents that demand top grades outta their children unreasonably aren't guilt-free too.

If said students are mentally ill or suffer from depression, then yes, it's inevitable and we should try to be sympathetic. But taking a shotgun approach and saying students these days feel alot of stress, come off it. U mean adults don't feel stress and have it easy? For every level of stress a student feels, adults feel 3 times as much. How about something as simple as, "will I lose my job tomorrow?" or for the unemployed "where's the next meal coming from?"
    did you skip the 1 and 2 series of your life and jump from like 9 to 30? Not everyone has a good family background and worry free childhood and teenage years.

BGR is just part of human nature to be attracted to the opposite gender. You mean you never had any crush on anyone while you were studying?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yqt
    Feeling stress? Come, come I'll offer you my studio. you can shout all you want without anyone saying you're a " seow cha bor " and I'll record it all on camera. It'll be something diff. for your portfolio. After all the shouting I'll even buy you dinner
    I smell TFCD coming.. heck this one need TFDVD liao.. I will assist you yqt!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Yeah man sad case.

More or less made up my mind to leave SG once i hit about 50+ and my children are working. Perhaps give them one lump sump.

Going to Indonesia (prob Batam) to relac. Take ferry back quite fast lar, so not too bad. I forsee SG to be quite unliveable for retirees, unless you have like half a mil to see the both of you through, which is not exactly possible even with downgrading the flat. Either that or have at least 3 children as they will have to support you, but then that means more stress now. Catch-22.

But need to slave so hard with 2 jobs for now to save enough!
    I must agree that Singapore is not a very 'livable' place. I'm turning 24, and already looking at opportunities overseas. Ever since many years ago I've been telling my Mum that (if I have the abilities), I don't plan to raise my children in Singapore.

I have a grand uncle who's working and living in Vancouver, Canada for the past 30/40 years in the medical sector, now retired and receiving around S$3000 worth of pension every month from the government until the day he pass on. It's true they have high taxes, but at least the government looks after their older generation, and thus they age gracefully and enjoy their retirement years.
    Last edited by behyx; 13th July 2006 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swatch
    What was he shouting?
    He was just shouting hysterically! Like 'ARRGGHHHHH!!! (pause) ARRGGHHHHH!!!! (pause) ARRGGHHHHH!!!'... at the same time pulling his hair...

Poor boy...

Quote Originally Posted by yqt
    Serious ah? Hahaha.. Sounds like a good deal leh.. Got free dinner some more. Can provide some plates for me to throw too? Hahaha

Unhappy Re: Poor student shouted hysterically to himself at Hougang MRT station today.

Maybe He Jst Broke Out With His Girl Friend

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    did you skip the 1 and 2 series of your life and jump from like 9 to 30? Not everyone has a good family background and worry free childhood and teenage years.

BGR is just part of human nature to be attracted to the opposite gender. You mean you never had any crush on anyone while you were studying?
    Don't get me wrong. I fully understand the frustrations of my teenage years BUT I also know that taking a shotgun approach and saying kids THESE DAYS face alot of pressure is making a mockery of everyone's growing years. It's no wonder then that they say kids these days are soft. i can see why.

I am not belittling his background if it was truly unfortunate and if you'd bothered to read, my angle was more towards the ones who take shotgun approaches and say kids THESE DAYS have it tough. For crying out loud, EVERY generation has its problems, not just this generation.

What makes you so sure it was all better in the past?
    Last edited by G-man; 13th July 2006 at 09:36 PM.

Though I can't say know the reason for the incident, I do know of autistic people who behaves like that (screaming at no apparent reason), some of whom attend regular school.

We need to be more patient and understanding with them.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian
    Though I can't say know the reason for the incident, I do know of autistic people who behaves like that (screaming at no apparent reason), some of whom attend regular school.

We need to be more patient and understanding with them.
    Of course we should be patient with such people. However I think there's no need to have sympathy for people who think their life is tough when they come from a relatively decent home and all they have to worry about is their grades. Even if one had a lousy day in the BGR department, how much better would it make them look if they cannot even control their own emotions.

Then again because we do not know the cause of the boy's actions, all we are doing is speculating.

Don't get me wrong. I fully understand the frustrations of my teenage years BUT I also know that taking a shotgun approach and saying kids THESE DAYS face alot of pressure is making a mockery of everyone's growing years. It's no wonder then that they say kids these days are soft. i can see why.

I am not belittling his background if it was truly unfortunate and if you'd bothered to read, my angle was more towards the ones who take shotgun approaches and say kids THESE DAYS have it tough. For crying out loud, EVERY generation has its problems, not just this generation.

What makes you so sure it was all better in the past?
    i see.. i do agree that kids are softer these days though.. but wasn't that what the previous generation said about my generation?

thanks Jacob for speaking on behalf of teachers...

sometimes whenever students misbehave or show a bit of emotional, behavioral or social problems, people are quick to point fingers at the education system and at us, teachers. It's sad that many people still have the misconception that teaching is a 'half-day' job. If you take a tour of the IMH, you're realise that majority of the patients there used to be from the teaching profession.

I feel sad to read about the teenager's outbursts. I believe he has reached his 'tipping' point and his loved ones did not notice it...Singapore is becoming a cash rich but love-starved society...
    Last edited by pixie_genie; 13th July 2006 at 09:46 PM.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by precious.jas
    Serious ah? Hahaha.. Sounds like a good deal leh.. Got free dinner some more. Can provide some plates for me to throw too? Hahaha
    i bring paper plates.....hehehehe

i see.. i do agree that kids are softer these days though.. but wasn't that what the previous generation said about my generation?
    Yea that's exactly my point. We are getting softer by the generation and it's not just how we bring the kids up, but the food, the ease of life etc. So cannot say kids have it tough these days mah.

Yea that's exactly my point. We are getting softer by the generation and it's not just how we bring the kids up, but the food, the ease of life etc. So cannot say kids have it tough these days mah.
    That's what my parents say!!

r we related?

Why you never snap out your camera phone and take a video or photo and send it to STOMP whahahha !

Actually, I brought up the possiblity of autism because I do know one who behaves like that AND studies near the Hougang area. Just hope people would not ridicule him if they chance upon him in that situation.

This is interesting, let me share a quote then

'The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

source of quote? apparently Socrates (469–399 B.C.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast