Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Av mode????

Default Re: Av mode????

Quote Originally Posted by cyber_m0nkey
    Using Av, Tv or M doesn't guarantee that you'll get correct exposure anymore then using P mode. If you don't understand how ISO, aperture and shutter speed work together to determine expsore and how your cameras metering works, then you're guessing anyway.

Learn the basics - ISO, aperture and shutter speed, then understand how your camera works, in particular the metering - then you're on the right path to understanding exposure and which setting is best suited to which situation.
    Photo Album - Photo Album

wahh...thanks all for the replies once again n sorry for repeating myself earlier

hope this is not a silly qn but...leading on from above....

exposure consists of the aperture opening (amount of light entering), shutter speed(time allowed for light to enter in) and ISO (determines the sensitivity of the sensor to light)...if choosing one of the modes say aperture control or shutter speed control, the camera automatically selects the other one for 'correct exposure' -- based on what the camera thinks from your metering setting (average metering, spot metering etc)

is this correct? if so, that means full manual is you select everything yourself (so the half press on the shutter release is just a focus lock and not a focus+exposure lock)

thanks!

THat is correct for aperture and shutter. In all cases regardless of the 'mode' you still need to set the ISO.

Remeber also that aperture (in conjunction with lens focal length and distances) controls your DOF and shutter speed is responsible for freezing (or otherwise) the action. With ISO, be careful of noise due to high-iSO (sometimes unavoidable).

Slightly OT, but when using flash, it is the aperture that is paramount for ensuring correct flash exposure. In this case shutter speed controls the amount of ambient light that's recorded. N.B. This is a simplification and flash photography is a whole subject on its own.
    sk.images, ex - cyber_m0nkey

Quote Originally Posted by sentientpuppets
    wahh...thanks all for the replies once again n sorry for repeating myself earlier

hope this is not a silly qn but...leading on from above....

exposure consists of the aperture opening (amount of light entering), shutter speed(time allowed for light to enter in) and ISO (determines the sensitivity of the sensor to light)...if choosing one of the modes say aperture control or shutter speed control, the camera automatically selects the other one for 'correct exposure' -- based on what the camera thinks from your metering setting (average metering, spot metering etc)

is this correct? if so, that means full manual is you select everything yourself (so the half press on the shutter release is just a focus lock and not a focus+exposure lock)

thanks!
    i do not think the words in bold that i have quoted above is exactly correct. i dun think choosing spot or average metering will affect the camera's choice of aperture/shutter speed in Tv/Av mode.

also, no matter using what mode, half pressing the shutter release = AE + AF lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein
    i do not think the words in bold that i have quoted above is exactly correct. i dun think choosing spot or average metering will affect the camera's choice of aperture/shutter speed in Tv/Av mode.

also, no matter using what mode, half pressing the shutter release = AE + AF lock.
    it will affect.

hmm, how will it affect?

My half press is only a focus lock on my 350D so when i move around the exposre is constanly metered. Since i shoot animals alot i tend to shoot in Av with center weighted metereing. You can modify the behaviour of the shutter 1/2 press and * button in the custom functions.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Different metering modes MAY provide different exposure results. For example a group of three people standing in a backlit situation. Average mode will most likely underexpose the shot. Centre weighted will be closer to correct exposure with the background blown out. Spot metering will provide a varying resuilt, depending on where the spot falls.
    sk.images, ex - cyber_m0nkey

for pictures that are bright on the back, dark on the front, like in the evening, i usually use centre weighted. or spot metering....
    D70s-er Since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein
    hmm, how will it affect?
    what i meant actually was, if i use Av mode, and i shoot 2 pics. 1 using spot, 1 using average metering. will the camera choose diff shutter speed for the 2 diff metering?

i thought the cam will choose the same shutter speed, but i might be wrong as what JediForce4ever pointed out. hmmmm.....
    Last edited by Zaknafein; 16th July 2006 at 03:56 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12