Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good walkaround lens for Canon 30D

Default Good walkaround lens for Canon 30D

Hi,
    Newbie here. Just bought a Canon 30D. Saw some one post "Good walkaround lens for Canon 350d", so thinking of ask any recommandation for Canon 30D?
    Bought this main purpose is for taking photo for my new born baby. But the kit lens not good enough.
    Thanks for advice.

Default Re: Good walkaround lens for Canon 30D

Quote Originally Posted by TitanPua
    Hi,
    Newbie here. Just bought a Canon 30D. Saw some one post "Good walkaround lens for Canon 350d", so thinking of ask any recommandation for Canon 30D?
    Bought this main purpose is for taking photo for my new born baby. But the kit lens not good enough.
    Thanks for advice.
    kit lens not good enuf? mind elaborating that? like focal length not good, AF too slow, too unsharp, colours not nice, etc.......

If problem is other than focal length, go for the 17-55 2.8 IS. that one rocks. if tight budget, the 17-40 4L would do.
    If problem is focal length, like not tele enough, the 24-105 4L would be nice. if tight budget, the 17-85 IS or 28-135 IS would be nice.

harro...
    hmm, if just to take photo of ur beautiful baby.. kit lens should be more than enough... although not as sturdy looking, but its a sharp lens man..
    but if u want t good walkabout lens, i'm using a 28-200mm to take pics.

I think you can take the suggestions in the canon 350D thread and apply it to your camera.
    Both have same mounts, crop factor and nearly similar megapixels

get the 50 f18 for your newborn baby. Excellent lens for indoor portrait

Quote Originally Posted by satay16
    kit lens not good enuf? mind elaborating that? like focal length not good, AF too slow, too unsharp, colours not nice, etc.......

If problem is other than focal length, go for the 17-55 2.8 IS. that one rocks. if tight budget, the 17-40 4L would do.
    If problem is focal length, like not tele enough, the 24-105 4L would be nice. if tight budget, the 17-85 IS or 28-135 IS would be nice.
    17-40 4L is your idea of a lens on a tight budget? heh. funniest thing ive read all night.

to the original poster, what exactly is your budget for walk around lens? for a lens on what i would consider a budget, but still good quality, you can look at the 24-70 from sigma/ tokina and the 28-75 from tamron. all are pretty good, sharp and 2.8 aperture.

they would give u a bit more reach than the kit lens, and better quality pictures overall.

i wouldnt bother with a 17-40 or any of the 17-50 lenses at present really, because you already have a 18-55 so there is qutie a lot of duplication.

give some thought to what other lenses you want to get down the line. that way, u can avoid too much duplication in focal range.

as soemone else mentioned, pick up the 50mm 1.8 lens as soon as u can. its a great low light lens, and very useful for portraits and general street photog as its light.

i think he not looking for a walkabout lens ba? but one maybe suitable for indoor, cos i think likely he should be taking alot of indoor shots?

are those L lens i see being recommended? L lens is tight budget meh?
    D70s-er Since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by zcwnfx
    i think he not looking for a walkabout lens ba? but one maybe suitable for indoor, cos i think likely he should be taking alot of indoor shots?

are those L lens i see being recommended? L lens is tight budget meh?
    You are rite man, So far mostly is indoor. My baby still very young (28th April 2006). Cannot go out too often yet.

The kits len i feel is not sharp enough. A lot of photo are blur coz of low light.

If ISO too high will have some noise. Haiz..... Not expert yet. Still very new on my 30D.

My budget is AS LOW AS POSSIBLE Or below 1k.

Read a lot of review on 17-55 2.8 IS, 17-85 2.8 IS and 28-135 IS. But not familier with the L lens like 17-40 4L or 24-105 4L.

Hi,
    Thanks for advice.
    if you want sharp lens for taking photo of baby, buy the 50mm 1.8. confirm super sharp.
    and 1.8 aperture means its very good for indoor shots.

The kits len i feel is not sharp enough. A lot of photo are blur coz of low light.
    It's blur because of camera shake (due to low light = slow shutter)... it's not the lens lah. It will be the same for lenses with similar aperture values (3.5, 4.0). My images from the kit lens are quite sharp given proper light conditions.

Since you shoot indoors under low light, your best bet is as suggested, the 50mm f1.8 or f1.4... your pic will be sharper than the kit lens because of a faster shutter speed (due to larger aperture opening = more light) and may not be because of any inherent sharpness in the lens.
    The Art of Flying - Aviation Art Prints for sale
    http://TheArtofFlying.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    if you want sharp lens for taking photo of baby, buy the 50mm 1.8. confirm super sharp.
    and 1.8 aperture means its very good for indoor shots.
    The len urs recommended is EF 50mm f/1.8 II ?
    This len is not expensive leh. around $150.

yes. thats the lens. and its not 150. its around $135. theres always one or 2 for sale on B&S for around $100.

i would go for a 50mm like the rest suggested.
    light and good for low light conditions.
    the shallow DOF helps too.

yeap. and if you're looking for a zoom, the tamron 28-75mm is an excellent choice. can be got for about $500 2nd hand on B&S.

a 50mm 1.4 will be good for those baby shots.

Deregistered

Try 17-40L.

the 50mm f1.8 should be good..... u probably can do "manual zoom" indoors without prob!
    D70s-er Since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    yes. thats the lens. and its not 150. its around $135. theres always one or 2 for sale on B&S for around $100.
    Thanks for yours guy info.

Yesterday went to Sim Lim to look for this. Because of AP bad service(everybody is ignoring me), so i went to another shop (Forgotten the name), they not selling the EF 50mm f/1.8 II only EF 50mm f/1.4 USM which cost $360.

Anybody know where can buy the EF 50mm f/1.8?

He let me try for the EF-S 17-85 IS, like this lens very much. but expensive. $1080.

check with oracle. he has a lot in stock now for $128.
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=199877

alternatively, call ms color see if they have stock.

btw, that quote for the 1.4 at $360 is damn cheap! care to give the name of the shop?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast