Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will you consider a small cc car in SG?

Default Re: Will you consider a small cc car in SG?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Why buy a car, even a small one when you have reliable public transport?

Singapore is not like Australia, States, Malaysia, or China where there is more land to cover. To me lar, the silliest thing to do is buying a car in Singapore. So much money dump and at the end of the day you leave it at home due to the car parking in places like Orchard, Shenton Way, Suntec and city areas is so ex, fuel prices is increasing day by day and monthly installments you need to pay, insurance, road tax, yearly maintainence (tyres, batteries, engine oil and blah blah)

Another reason for not buying a car is when you drink, you can't drive.

The only reason I can think of when buying a car is if I have extra cash. If not, I will stick to the old faithful cab, MRTs, and buses.
    Too bad the old faithful cab fare has increase so much. MRTs and buses will be next.....
    Last edited by JL1500k; 11th July 2006 at 07:57 PM.

Deregistered

Time to advocate more cycling to move around.

Though I can't imagine cycling in pants and shirts....

The most advantage of owning a car is convenient, save travelling time and it is always there so you don't spend time waiting especially in raining day.
    You are getting a better quality of life.

That why LTA are so smart purposely bring in small car to attract people to buy.
    Fuel is so expensive now a day, so buying a small car can save a lot comparing to big car.

You can go around singapore to take good picture without worrying about your gear is heavy.
    Last edited by JL1500k; 11th July 2006 at 09:14 PM.

Ah! The Mitsubishi i looks awfully cute!

Lets hope it doesn't guzzles fuel like the Evo.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Ah! The Mitsubishi i looks awfully cute!

Lets hope it doesn't guzzles fuel like the Evo.
    among the three 660cc car, the Mitsubishi i has a Turbocharged Mivec Engine

For small cc car like only 660cc engine i dun think they are hungry for petrol.
    Last edited by JL1500k; 11th July 2006 at 09:19 PM.

Ya y not as we can drive fast on sg road. We can drive 0 to 100kph within 4 seconds. No point u get a super powerful car in sg without drive fast I mean very fast. And now petrol so expensive, u buy a big cc car u need to spend alot more on petrol. Unless u can affort to.

petrol is one thing. power is another.

when you're on the expressway, in a jam, or want to move off quickly...
    the engine makes a lot of difference.

if you think fuel consumption is important, speed isn't much,
    try getting a diesel van. kangoo or combo. second hand.
    20k, cheap fuel, acceleration wise... acceptable.

small cars that I will consider.

Toyota Sera, MR2
    Mini cooper
    Mazda RX8
    Suzuki cuppacino

“How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Buying a car in Singapore is NEVER a good financial decision, it will always be cheaper to take public transport. It is a matter of deciding whether you want a car or not, if yes, how much you can afford.

So if you want the convenience a car offers, and/or you like driving, the next step is to figure out how much you can afford, and what car you like that fits your budget.

One point to note that first time car buyers often forget, is that when working out the budget, the cost of owning a car is a lot more than the monthly installments. It includes the following:

- Monthly loan repayment
    - Petrol
    - Parking (Both the season parking if you stay in HDB as well as every place you go, it adds up if you are not carefull)
    - ERP
    - Insurance
    - Road tax
    - Maintenance

Depending on your driving habits and the car you buy, the other running costs can come up to as much if not more than the monthly installments.

Good luck in your decision of car.

Quote Originally Posted by JL1500k
    Too bad the old faithful cab fare has increase so much. MRTs and buses will be next.....
    for me, it is cheaper to drive than taking cab...and recently ST got an article to prove that.

just need to know what time to go out to avoid jam & ERP, and know where to park to save on parking...at least now i have more time to do other work instead of waste time on waiting for cab/bus

btw, for the same amount of $$, i can get a diesel powered turbo-charged van with large cc (mine is 1.9L), lots of space to put your equipment and enjoy cheap road tax and insurance...not forgetting a fuel consumption of close to 20km/L (and it is diesel somemore)
    Last edited by Wai; 12th July 2006 at 05:37 PM.
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

I'm also consider to buy a van using my family hawker licence. I just need 4 wheel to take over my walking foot. Waiting the Euro 4 engine to launch first and see got new model coming up.

Must change engine oil (synthetic) once every 5K instead of 10K.

BTW your second statement is incorrect, be it the engine is F.I or N.A

BTW, when will it be launched locally?

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/10326.php

No idea but should be soon.

Wah lao eh, the Mitsu i series darn expensive!

Owning a car here has quite a bit of 'upfront' cost ...all the taxes, insurance, etc...and since you want to drive around, petrol of course! so imho if cost is a factor, public transport, at least doesn't require all these initial investment.

But of coz, with the price you pay comes convenience, etc, you get what you pay for (a bit like whether want to get a bridge camera or a dslr i guess :P)

The most advantage of owning a car is convenient, save travelling time
    try that on a weekend at a popular shopping mall
    and it is always there so you don't spend time waiting especially in raining day.
    You are getting a better quality of life.
    with a heavy price tag on the parking

That why LTA are so smart purposely bring in small car to attract people to buy.
    ya they are the smart one..you buy one car they earn 3
    Fuel is so expensive now a day, so buying a small car can save a lot comparing to big car.
    i would say spend lesses...you never save on a car..
    You can go around singapore to take good picture without worrying about your gear is heavy.
    ya most of the time still need to search for a parking space and walk from the parking lot to the idea place to shoot and walk back to the parking lot and drive away with 1-2more dollars poorer..
    Last edited by soma; 12th July 2006 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz
    Its just a trend..days of MPVs are ending soon..Europe has already seen a jump on the number for small cars/concept cars..

But then, when it comes to buying a car, requirement and purpose is more important than following the trend..
    In Europe the MCC Smart, or is it renamed Smart ForTwo now... Is seen every everywhere all over the place... England, France & Germany especially.
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

Quote Originally Posted by DT_
    huh.. pardon me no idea what's the mitsubishi I... so i did a search and think this is the closest i can get.. izt this? looks good.. but it seem like concept car leh...

http://www.carbodydesign.com/concept...oncept%205.jpg
    Actually i saw a Mitsubishi i on the road abt 3mths back. In a nice color, looks like beige + yellow green. The front tyres so skinny (only 145 section)... so cute. Looks like an egg more than any other car... As it slowly passes by a bus stop halting to the red lights, it turns all the heads from those commuters at the bus stop awaiting bus...

There was once a Mitsubishi Pajero Mini with a 660cc 4cyl 20valve Turbocharged engine with 66bhp. It drinks patrol more like a 1000cc engine.

Quote Originally Posted by soma
    try that on a weekend at a popular shopping mall

with a heavy price tag on the parking

ya they are the smart one..you buy one car they earn 3

i would say spend lesses...you never save on a car..

ya most of the time still need to search for a parking space and walk from the parking lot to the idea place to shoot and walk back to the parking lot and drive away with 1-2more dollars poorer..
    Not everyone like shopping waste of money and time so i hardly go shopping mall.

If i can pay a monthly installment of $400 then what is $65 HDB season parking.

In fact you buy other things like HDB flat or computer or LCD TV they also earn 3.

Agree you never save on a car but you save the times.

I dun mind walk a bit longer and i still can control what time i want to go home. Some places no buses access and need to book a cab.

If the person can afford a car and enjoy a better quality of life then what is 1-2 dollars. Times is the thing that you can't buy.
    Last edited by JL1500k; 14th July 2006 at 08:06 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast