Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: advise on DSLR (2nd hand)

Default Re: advise on DSLR (2nd hand)

now it comes to choosing btw nikon and canon. there will be many that will tell u N this N that, and also C this, C that. in the end, which ever isnt a very big difference. but what u got to do is find the one that u like better in terms of handling. but are from reputable and firm brands that have a long list of accessories to let you take any photographs.

it would be good that you go and find out more before you do any purchasing. cos, once you buy into it, its money. and dont waste any money by buying something you might put on BnS after 1 month.
    D70s-er Since 2005

i like minolta. cheap and good, esp now when everybody selling their gear at cheap prices.

Quote Originally Posted by nivlac
    I just copied the numbers from another guru that replied earlier in the post.... thats why i asked what they refer to and meant?

so it is quite hard to get everything below 1k? someone oso mentioned D50 instead of 350D... how would these 2 compare? read the reivews on steve's website... seems like he recommeds both cams for beginners...
    in terms of performance i think 350d got a slight edge but not much over d50, but d50 is much cheaper, a 2hand d50 is nearly $300 cheaper than a 350d kit. and oso look at the rest of the lens and consider as a system not just body alone

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    in terms of performance i think 350d got a slight edge but not much over d50, but d50 is much cheaper, a 2hand d50 is nearly $300 cheaper than a 350d kit. and oso look at the rest of the lens and consider as a system not just body alone
    actually, its a bit funny with nikon & canon because the models are not quite in tangent.

i would say D50 then 350D then D70 then 30D then D200 with each one being a step above the other.

there are enormously lengthy threads in this forum about canon or nikon. dont forget there are also other worthy DSLR brands like KM, pentax, olympus and now sony have also entered the fray.

from the sounds of things,i dont think you have sufficient knowledge yet to be able to make a properly discerning choice. i.e. do you know whether you want better ETTL metering (get nikon) or better high ISO noise performance (get canon) etc.

so what i suggest is you read up more and then make a decision.

what yo uneed to understand, is once u choose a mount, its kind of like getting a wife... a lifelong commitment, because all the components that you will accumulate for one mount e.g. flash, lenses, grips, batteries etc etc cant normally be used if say u decide to swop to another.

its a completely differnet proposition to say buying a P&S digicam, because u can just throw that away and buy a different brand and it wont cost u much.

Pro Advice!

learn more about wat each system is great at... then find the one that u feel most comfortable with.
    D70s-er Since 2005

Smile Re: advise on DSLR (2nd hand)

roger guys...

jus spoke to a photographer (he doing shoots for my company) he advised that just getting the kit lens + 350D is gd enuf for now, once comfortable with it can buy some EF 50mm f 1.8 lens + flash.

He oso recommend this shop at penisular plaza 1st floor cos they sell 2nd hand cams + 6mths waranty.

meanwhile, i'll go read up bit more abt cameras and lens.

I think that photographer is a Canon user.

Go to the shop to try out 350D (for Canon) and D70 (for Nikon) to see which one you are comfortable with the dails, handling, specs, etc before committing.

And no, our B&S (Buy and Sell) Section has got far better deals than those "REPUTATED" shops!
    Last edited by Lmodel; 11th July 2006 at 03:43 PM.

Hmmm you might be interested in the following.... from the looks of things you'll probably benefit from these two guides:

For dSLRs:
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=198205

For buying 2nd hand equipment:
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=204552

Its basically everything you need to go from zero to competent.... info's up to date and relevant. Its written to cater to 1st time dSLR buyers (who usually have the same qns/concerns) as well as people shopping for used equipment.

also can get more info from all the "old birds" here in the forum.
    D70s-er Since 2005

haha ya he using a 20D... cool i'll have a look at the articles tonight.

Thanks guys... sure make the forum a friendly and helpful place.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    but warranty will not be valid in singapore, since most camera only comes with local warranty instead of international 1
    i've enquired with a few shops (big ones like broadway, citicall, digital fortress) - they mention that you can convert it to international warranty (but only 6 months) if you bring it down to the canon office for endorsement.

Quote Originally Posted by satch
    i've enquired with a few shops (big ones like broadway, citicall, digital fortress) - they mention that you can convert it to international warranty (but only 6 months) if you bring it down to the canon office for endorsement.
    until i hear confirmation that someone has actually done that, ill take that with a pinch of salt.

Those what you need can be found in Buy and Sell Marketplace in this forum.
    I think you dun need to buy spare battery and save it for CF memory card.
    You also can consider Nikon D70s with kit lens 18-70mm.

what is thread starter's requirements? I suggest 300D kit for a start ... abt 700+ can probably get one w grip and reasonably good condition. Take ur learning from there. No point dunking 300D cos there are better cameras out there. There will always be better cameras out there. Just start learning from 300D. One fine day, you may want to upgrade to better cameras n use the 300D (by then maybe not much resale value) as a backup. Canon lenses can backward integrate one.

Spend your money on lens and accessories for which prices are more stable over time. A top of the range DSLR would be dirt cheap in no time ...

Quote Originally Posted by JL1500k
    Those what you need can be found in Buy and Sell Marketplace in this forum.
    I think you dun need to buy spare battery and save it for CF memory card.
    You also can consider Nikon D70s with kit lens 18-70mm.

Agreed...D70s with Kit lens...can get like $1100 on B&S. Or get the body at $800-$900 and source for another lens to start with.

personally i would go for D70s(why of cos :P) cos of a more firm grip if u have big hands... but if u die die also want a vertical grip, then 300D or 350D might be the one for u.
    D70s-er Since 2005

haha... i can see the devil and angel sitting on his shoulders now... one whispering canon the other whispering nikon...

heh, let the poor guy learn a bit more about DSLRs first la...

hee hee, yeah man, agree with you....

hmmm, i learnt my DSLR from a fren that started off cos his CCA was in photography and he had access to a D70. Haa haa.... so we jus try out the cam by ourselves

of cos one reason why i am in nikon is becos i got a buddy that is using nikon too and we share....

my other fren is using a 20D so we get to handle it as well.

but beginning was tough for me, as i really know nothing.... then i went to buy books, borrow books, ask fren ...... finally know a bit....

so its important to know about using the cameras. and some of the basic stuffs. which camera actually is little matter! both camps are great!
    D70s-er Since 2005

KM 5D is another cheap but good DSLR also, someone selling all for $1000.
    WTS: DSLR - Minolta Minolta Dynax 5D Kit + 50mm f1.7
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

so any luck on getting literature on DSLR or even better hands on experience?
    D70s-er Since 2005

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12