Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 60 of 60

Thread: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs

  1. #41

    Default Re: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs

    Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    I have been jogging about 3-4km every alternate day and having my dinner early. I eat only about 75% of my usual meals. So far I've been losing about a kg every month. The first few week will be very slow, but once you get the momentum going, you will see the results. It's about patience.
    yeah tats true..used to jog around 5km every alternate day for 4-5mths after coming home from camp and can lose weight + build up stamina till i tear my ligament sometime back then i stop doing it liao..

  2. #42

    Default Re: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs

    Quote Originally Posted by jimtong
    Hmm.. so the Reductil it more like a weight control stuff. I guess it can be use for anybody, not only for over-weight ppl?
    No.. it is for those who seriously want to loose weight. There are side effects and that is why you can only get it prescibed by a doctor. Don't simply take...

  3. #43

    Default Re: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    There is no science to it. It's rubbish, because the muscles don't get a workout at all. Save your money, get another lens instead.
    scary, no science to support and people still buying it? can't any department try to audit their act?

  4. #44

    Default Re: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs

    YOU CANNOT LOSE WEIGHT IN ONE PORTION OF YOUR BODY

    when you lose fat.. you lose it throughout your body, and usually the first place you will notice fat loss is in your face.


    how to lose said fat... in a nut shell, cut on simple sugars and fats.

    eg.. chicken rice? ask for plain rice + chicken breast + forget the skin.
    drink water instead of softdrinks or even juice ( has alot of sugars)

    excercise, do HIIT (high intensity interval training)

    instead of running 5km... do max sprints @200m and jog... sprint .. jog... for about 15minutes


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIIT

  5. #45

    Default Re: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs

    And also, I dun really believe in those sliming center. Spending thousands of $ to lost weight??? But they cannot gurrantee that you will not grow back those fat again.


    The best sliming center is FREE... 5 month BMT and you get result!!!

  6. #46
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default Re: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs

    Quote Originally Posted by trlnlty
    instead of running 5km... do max sprints @200m and jog... sprint .. jog... for about 15minutes
    May I ask you, what is the intended outcome of what you suggested? Suggesting intervals to people just like that CAN result in injuries, be it "only" 200 meters at a go.

    Quote Originally Posted by LENS
    scary, no science to support and people still buying it? can't any department try to audit their act?
    It may be classifed as a massage machine. Only thing it may need is the SPRING safety logo, at most.

  7. #47

    Default Re: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    May I ask you, what is the intended outcome of what you suggested? Suggesting intervals to people just like that CAN result in injuries, be it "only" 200 meters at a go.



    It may be classifed as a massage machine. Only thing it may need is the SPRING safety logo, at most.

    its called high intensity interval training ...

    which most trainers would recommend you to do.

    instead of running a long distance at a slow pace.. run a short distance at a high pace.

    the point is to raise ur heart rate for extended periods of time to burn more calories.

    http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp

  8. #48
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default Re: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs

    Trinity, suggesting that without fact-finding about the current fitness level of others you intend to help, is irresponsible. Most trainers? I wouldn't call myself a trainer, but I'd suggest something longer and less reps. BUT I wouldn't fancy giving advice just like that.

    Basic physiological method losing excess fats - LOW intensity, LONGER duration. What you suggest can potentially increase anaerobic capacity, and raw strength. Overall aerobic capacity will improve, but more likely than not be not leading to the intended outcome.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs

    Sorry would like to add on to trlnlty post.

    We cannot expect a person who is over weight to dive into interval training straight away, THIS IS DANGEROUS! (sorry for the bold but I couldn't help it) In any case, the best advise is to go for something light to get this person conditioned. This is the conditioning phase, then we can go for progression. This is systematic training.

    Fartlek, interval training are too intensified and belong's to the anaerobic type of training and it serve other purpose like speed training. To lost weight it is best to go for aerobic type of training.

    Therefore, before prescribing any exercise to any individual, it is best to access the person's fitness level.

    Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by jimtong; 13th July 2006 at 08:28 PM.

  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    1,398

    Default Re: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs


  11. #51

    Default Re: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs

    Quote Originally Posted by clicknick
    he gave a link to this

    http://www.sgfitnessonline.com/017-Burn Fats Fast With HITT Training.htm

  12. #52
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default Re: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs

    Thanks Jim.

    Trinity, I have absolutely nothing against you, but being formerly involved in some club-level athletics and being involved in the scene yonks ago, what you suggested HAS some truth to it, but is absolutely off the intention. You never know, the person who might take your advice might be a 100kg, 1.5m tall guy. Before the end of the 3rd set of 200m, the person might just collapse.

    Please think in a wider perspective before you dish out advice. I'm pretty sure you didn't have time to type in the details, but remember topics such as biomechanics, physiology and other risk factors. Just spend a bit more time, type a lil' more... so that others will deem you responsible.

    Although I wasn't a distinction PE teacher when I left the service in March, but I still do hold on to the knowledge and common sense that accompanied me through my training years.

  13. #53

    Default Re: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs

    Quote Originally Posted by jimtong
    Sorry would like to add on to trlnlty post.

    We cannot expect a person who is over weight to dive into interval training straight away, THIS IS DANGEROUS! (sorry for the bold but I couldn't help it) In any case, the best advise is to go for something light to get this person conditioned. This is the conditioning phase, then we can go for progression. This is systematic training.

    Fartlek, interval training are too intensified and belong's to the anaerobic type of training and it serve other purpose like speed training. To lost weight it is best to go for aerobic type of training.

    Therefore, before prescribing any exercise to any individual, it is best to access the person's fitness level.

    Just my 2 cents
    actually for someone who is obease... i would advice him to lift lift lift lift and lift more weights ...

    lifting+diet = bye bye fats.

  14. #54

    Default Re: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    Thanks Jim.

    Trinity, I have absolutely nothing against you, but being formerly involved in some club-level athletics and being involved in the scene yonks ago, what you suggested HAS some truth to it, but is absolutely off the intention. You never know, the person who might take your advice might be a 100kg, 1.5m tall guy. Before the end of the 3rd set of 200m, the person might just collapse.

    Please think in a wider perspective before you dish out advice. I'm pretty sure you didn't have time to type in the details, but remember topics such as biomechanics, physiology and other risk factors. Just spend a bit more time, type a lil' more... so that others will deem you responsible.

    Although I wasn't a distinction PE teacher when I left the service in March, but I still do hold on to the knowledge and common sense that accompanied me through my training years.

    no worries man ... its just the internet ...

  15. #55
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default Re: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs

    Trinity, don't forget, though it's the internet, there are guillible people who just jump at any advice, no matter how crazy it could be. Racist bloggers got jailed under the Sedition Act. Not serious? I don't think so.

    Are you involved in athletics of some form? If yes, which one? I was a ho-hum long distance guy, only did a 3:16 marathon yonks ago...

  16. #56

    Default Re: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    Trinity, don't forget, though it's the internet, there are guillible people who just jump at any advice, no matter how crazy it could be. Racist bloggers got jailed under the Sedition Act. Not serious? I don't think so.

    Are you involved in athletics of some form? If yes, which one? I was a ho-hum long distance guy, only did a 3:16 marathon yonks ago...

    neh i dont do anything professionally ...

    but i lift for personal reasons.. 3x a week + cardio on my off days.

    right now in malaysia so i havent lifted for a while... feels kinda weird..

    i meant its just the internet meaning you and i are cool, im not butt hurt over any of ur comments

  17. #57

    Default Re: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs

    Quote Originally Posted by trlnlty
    actually for someone who is obease... i would advice him to lift lift lift lift and lift more weights ...

    lifting+diet = bye bye fats.
    Hi I wouldn't say weight lifting is wrong for losing weight but the impact it not really felt. Weight training is more gear toward muscular endurance, strenght and toning. As I said in my earlier post, to effectively lost weight, one need to get into aerobic exercise like swimming, running (low intensity). This will help the body to burn away the fuel which is in this case fat.

    And remember that there is no such thing as losing fat from your tummy by doing situp this is totally wrong idea, situp can only tone your tummy, give it more strenght, therefore will help prevent injury.

    It will be nice of cos to combine anaerobic routine with aerobic routine, nothing wrong with that. Like what you are doing now which I think is good.

    I am not trying to discredit you but I think it is important to correct any misconception involving exercise because any wrong advise could cause injury.

    I was involve in conducting physical training during my NS day, I have saw many types of injury resulting in wrong training technique and usage of equipment. I hope this will not happen becos of wrong advise given.

    This may be an internet but I think we still need to be resposible of what we said.
    I hope this is a healthy debate, don't take is as flaming.

  18. #58

    Default Re: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs

    I have to agree with Trinity because it has been true in my experience.

    I used to cycle a lot, and although that helped me with cardiovascular fitness, it did not help me lose very much weight.

    Then I started doing resistance training (ie weights) and that, combined with a reduced carbohydrate and low fat diet, has helped me lose 11 kg over the last few months. Not to mention I feel a lot fitter and stronger.

    My theory is that the increased muscle mass created by resistance training (I have been eating more protein as well) burns a lot more energy THROUGHOUT THE DAY than just an hour or two of cardiovascular exercise. So increasing muscle mass through lifting weights (including squats, etc) + diet does help to melt away the fat. Of course, you still need to do SOME cardio training.
    Last edited by StreetShooter; 13th July 2006 at 11:59 PM.

  19. #59
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default Re: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs

    SS, wouldn't that be more attributed to increased energy expenditure, and overall nett energy deficit? The training part that you described, I'm sorry but I'll opt to disagree with you. Weight loss is caused by increased basal metabolic (esp catabolism) rate in your body that is higher than before all the exercise started, not by the exercise itself.

  20. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Great World City, Singapore
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: Best Way to Lose Those Tummy Flabs

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    I practice the version of it on a moving bicycle, not the stationary version.
    If you do it seriously .... it can your slimdown your tummy and toning your lower body. So at the same time you will have a strong and nice leg.
    The different with moving cycle is ... spinning class, you can condition the track, you can speed it up as fast as you can, or suddenly you can butt off and move towards a hilly track.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •