Thread: Backpacking and traveling with photo gear

Default Backpacking and traveling with photo gear

hi all,

im thinking of going to newzealand early next year. the thing is, im quite noob to photography and havent figured out how best to carry my equipment around. will be looking to carry a canon 350d with battery grip, 1 or 2 additional lenses + accessories.

my needs are:
    1) a small daypack - to carry photo gear, jacket, small towel, snacks, mp3 player, swiss army knife etc.

2) a way of carrying both the daypack AND your big backpack together.
    ive seen military backpack systems where you can "piggyback" a smaller pack on the the larger one. i dont really like the idea of wearing the small backpack in front and the large one on my back. looks funny haha. are there any non military type bags with this feature?

also, how do you people carry photo gear in non-padded normal backpacks (for example camelbak)? is there a padded insert you can buy and just drop inside these bags?

pls help!

thanks

Default Re: Backpacking and traveling with photo gear

Quote Originally Posted by dandruff
    hi all,

im thinking of going to newzealand early next year. the thing is, im quite noob to photography and havent figured out how best to carry my equipment around. will be looking to carry a canon 350d with battery grip, 1 or 2 additional lenses + accessories.

my needs are:
    1) a small daypack - to carry photo gear, jacket, small towel, snacks, mp3 player, swiss army knife etc.

2) a way of carrying both the daypack AND your big backpack together.
    ive seen military backpack systems where you can "piggyback" a smaller pack on the the larger one. i dont really like the idea of wearing the small backpack in front and the large one on my back. looks funny haha. are there any non military type bags with this feature?

also, how do you people carry photo gear in non-padded normal backpacks (for example camelbak)? is there a padded insert you can buy and just drop inside these bags?

pls help!

thanks
    I recently backpacked in Tibet... carried a haversack with a Lowepro Off Road... when going from one place to another, I simply carry my haversack on my back and side sling the off road.

If you are looking for a daypack cum camera bag, try looking at the Lowepro Orion or Rover series. The bottom compartment is a camera compartment and the top half is for your misc. stuff.

If you really dislike the front/back option, get a couple of carabiners and bicycle hooks and secure your daypack to your backpack lor, but make sure it's really secure. It would be super unwieldy though, and if you are travelling alone, experience thieves might just cut your daypack away without you noticing it.

Or if you have a really big backpack and a really small camera bag, you can just dump the camera bag into your backpack.

I know crumpler used to sell padded inserts for their sling bags... not too sure whether they are still selling it now.

I trekked in Himachal Pradash, North India, with Lowepro Rover II AW backpack during trek in day time, together with tripod. The Rover allows miscellaneous stuff such as food, water and light clothing in case it gets chilly. Water is really important in my treks and thus comprised of 50% of the total weight. The Rover allows tripod to be attached directly to it, so it leaves me with 2 hands free, which is critical whenever my trek takes me above 3000m above sea level in April, where the ice is melting and thus very slippery.

During the times when I had to carry the big pack and camera back pack, I'll carry big pack behind, small pack in front. This allows me once again, to have 2 hands free, critical again for emergencies.

My personal philosophy is not to have things dangling around if I can help it, and try to have 2 hands free. Train hard before the trip so that the encumbrance is not too much. Even then, diligent packing of equipment for treks is important. Unless you are incredible hulk or something, carrying tripod and water alone is tough enough work when trekking through rarified air and steep incline. Too much deadweight via heavy lenses makes the trip less enjoyable than it should be.

u may like 2 visit tis links below 4 a read-up.

http://www.thebackpacker.com/

http://www.greatoutdoors.com/

thanks for the replies. i too enjoy the freedom of having both hands free and dislike having things dangling on me. perhaps i also need to relook at the small-bag-in-front, large-bag-on-back thing.

ive seen the lowepro rovers but feel they are a little bigger than what im looking for. i havent seen the orion in person yet.

anyway whilst browsing through the lowepro website i came across these "Toploader bags"

has anyone tried putting these on the waistbelts of their normal packs? is it a workable solution or will it be too heavy and feel unbalanced etc.

another question: im using the canon 350d with battery grip. for travel, should i still use the battery grip? it would save a LOT of space and weight, but i like the option to use AA batteries, not to mention the added battery life of having two batts.

sigh, didnt anticipate how my new photography hobby would affect my packing plans so much ! i guess the problem with me is im still new to photography and not a pro, as such am not prepared to make the concessions that a pro would be willing to, such as carrying a lot of heavy equipment. i also would like to stick with normal 'outdoor' gear as much as possible, because i have this baseless belief that photography bags might not have the same technology and expertise when it comes to pack performance, fit and ergonomics. this must be true to an extent right? i think they'd also attract less attention from thieves.

once again, thanks for the replies.

I think the toploader is a good bag/case to get. I just got one for my travels. It fits my 350D & a lens. Plenty of room to put my filters, memory card and extra battery.

The great thing is that it is quite small so you can put it inside your bag pack. the cam and bag is also not that small such that ppl can easily pickpocket it from your bag.

have a great trip

Maybe you wanna try a Lowepro PhotoRunner?.. It's like an over-sized pouch..

With a bit of planning, I was able to squeeze in a 300D, 2 short lens, a small towel, CompactDrive and a few more small items like charger + wires..
    Long lens mounted would be a No-No tho', pouch not long enuff..

The Toploader's OK kit, like the pullover raincover and can be easily slung..
    My gripe is that it has a knack of falling over when you place it down and can't stuff much gear into it beyond 1 body + 2 short lens..

Also I've used Tamrac's Velocity9, holds much more gear (like 100-400mm L lens mounted), but can be a bit straining on left shoulder after long hauls.. Managed to pack in much o' my kit plus spare T-shirt & towel..

Each gear has it's own virtues and pitfalls..

Canon 30D 100-400mm L IS|Tamron 17-35mm/f2.8-4,28-75mm/f2.8|Cosina Voigtlander Bessa-R 35mm/f2.5C

Hi there,

I just got back from a backpacking trip to Xinjiang, China.

I had similar concerns as you. I carried a 60L backpack, a Slik Pro 400DX, a Canon30D and a couple of lenses.

Finally, I settled for a Lowepro CompuDayPack to carry the camera and the lenses. The only gripe I have about this bag is that there is no tripod holder. And yeah, one more thing. It doesn't come with a rain cover
    I wrapped my camera and lenses in double layers of ziplock bags.

Other than these two shortcomings, the CompuDayPack is just about perfect for my use. I am gonna use this for my business trips too. The camera with the walkabout lens and 2 lenses fit into the bottom comartment. There is a laptop compartment at the back - where you can put a change of clothes and toileteries (in case you are not carrying your laptop) and another quite spacious compartment in the front top where you can easily put 3-4 water bottles of 300 ml each and some munchies, phone, mp3 player, portable harddisk, spare batteries, CF cards etc. If you have a lens such as the 70-200 L Lens, it will fit in this compartment (but then you won't be able to carry anything else - maybe just one bottle of water and a few other accessories in that compartment)

When travelling from one place to another, I would strap the tripod to my 60L backpack and carry the CompuDayPack in front. During the day trips, I would just carry the CompuDayPack and use a slingbag to carry the tripod.

A friend of mine has the Lowepro Slingshot 200 which is cool, but it doesn't have enough space to put any personal stuff.

One last suggestion. I made the mistake of a newbie and want to pass on my learnings. Don't carry too many lenses - it just makes the camera bag heavy. Plan ahead as to what kind of photos you are gonna shoot and carry a couple of lenses.

Cathay Photo at Marina Square has a wide range of Lowepro bags and you can take your equipment there and check out which bag suits you most.

Hope this helps.

Wish you the best for your trip to New Zealand . That's one of my dream destinations too