Thread: need advice/tips on location shoot

Default need advice/tips on location shoot

hi there..

a friend recently asked me to shoot some pics for her in her uni's convocation.. there'll be some days where those grads will actually wear their "robes" (not sure whats the dress called) and hang around city hall/supreme court etc to take some portrait shots..

cuz i am totally new to this, i'm not sure how to go abt preparing for this shoot.

here's wat i have:

F80
    sigma 70-300
    tamron 28-80
    no external flash units

seems like i'm seriously underequippped..

need some advice!!

Default Re: need advice/tips on location shoot

u should be able to get by without a flash, if its daytime.

but if u can get hold of one, it can help u out in a tight spot, especially if theres backlighting.

but apart fromt that, your equipment is fine!

It depend how you want to shoot.

for me, I would use a Nikon 50mm and a tamron 90mm on DSLR.
    hardly use flash for outdoor portrait nowadays.

you can use tamron 28-80 on 35mm for some full length shots with background scene.

and can use sigma 70-300 on 150~200mm for some half body shots if you hand is steady.

unless your friend can do her make up well, else dont' shoot too many of her head and shoulder shots.

watch out for backlighting, unless you know your metering well,
    don't let your friend stand under the sunlight and facing the sunlight, unless is early morn or late afternoon sun, find a open shade, watch out about the background.

Hope this helps.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Your equipment is fine, though a flash will be helpful if anyone requests indoor shots. And also be mindful of strong shadows on the face Try to adjust their pose once you can spot strong shadows on their faces. Be confident, remind them to look at the camera, smile and shoot.

thanks ah!!

btw u guys know of any links or galleries for me to take as examples?

Quote Originally Posted by faa
    thanks ah!!

btw u guys know of any links or galleries for me to take as examples?
    not sure abuot graduation pics... but basically if your friend is expecting straight up graduation pics in her gown, as opposed to arty ones, just treat it like a outdoor portrait shoot and get the basics right.. i.e. focus on the eyes, not too much headroom, allow enough DOF if its a group pic... get some posed, some candids, throwing hat in the air etc.

if she can spring 20 or 40 bucks, can even hire one of those studios to take a couple of indoor pics, for those framed pictures at home type.