Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 51 of 51

Thread: Is this normal?

  1. #41

    Default Re: Is this normal?

    Make your choice and be happy with it.

    If your friends don't respect you for it, then they're not your friends.
    If your business associates don't want you for it, then their business is not worth it.

    But if you can't accept your own choices, then it's no use whinning about it.

    Your life is yours...
    It becomes what you make of it...
    I go by feel... Never followed the rules.
    www.photosbymarbles.com

  2. #42

    Default Re: Is this normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Benign
    I don't like to spend time lurking in nightspots or drinking excessively with peers(even once every blue moon). Now my cycle of friends has dwindled........Some how I just want the 'boring' life that dreaded by the people around me.

    Is having a disciplined lifestyle no longer an acceptable part of socialising in a bustling city? Are karaoke, disco or pubbing till wee hours of the morning the only popular means of wheeling and dealing(buliding contacts) in the business world?

    Sorry I have to ask this, coz I am clueless due to voluntarily jobless for the past three years.

    Any comments are welcome. Thanks
    When we were younger and more impressionable, some of us probably don't think too much about going to a bar/pub/club and have drinks late into the night. There was perhaps a certain trendy image to it, and undoubtedly, encounters at nightspots can be exciting. However, as some of us grow older and wiser, we start to see sense in our actions and retreat. Could this be describing you?

    I wasn't a bar/pub/club-goer when I was in Singapore but since coming to Australia, I began going to a few sometimes. I would like to think of it as adapting to my surroundings and trying to immerse and assimilate (and it's not easy). Like other westerners, Aussies, especially Caucasians, like going to nightspots to hang out and socialise. Some westernised Asians and pretending-to-be-westernised Asians also go to bars/pubs/clubs. It's a western culture thing, and the influence is strong. Earlier this year, a worldwide study found that Aussies are the most drunk in the world.

    My guess is, the average Caucasian Aussie (and westernised Asians) probably won't hang out at Starbucks, Gloria Jeans or Max Brenner.

    As another ClubSnap member said, it takes effort to maintain friendships. Since you admitted to witnessing your circle of friends dwindling, and leading yourself to a 'boring' (maybe without the inverted commas) life, if you still want to be in contact with these friends, you could still go out but drink less or less often?

  3. #43

    Default Re: Is this normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela
    When we were younger and more impressionable, some of us probably don't think too much about going to a bar/pub/club and have drinks late into the night. There was perhaps a certain trendy image to it, and undoubtedly, encounters at nightspots can be exciting. However, as some of us grow older and wiser, we start to see sense in our actions and retreat. Could this be describing you?

    I wasn't a bar/pub/club-goer when I was in Singapore but since coming to Australia, I began going to a few sometimes. I would like to think of it as adapting to my surroundings and trying to immerse and assimilate (and it's not easy). Like other westerners, Aussies, especially Caucasians, like going to nightspots to hang out and socialise. Some westernised Asians and pretending-to-be-westernised Asians also go to bars/pubs/clubs. It's a western culture thing, and the influence is strong. Earlier this year, a worldwide study found that Aussies are the most drunk in the world.

    My guess is, the average Caucasian Aussie (and westernised Asians) probably won't hang out at Starbucks, Gloria Jeans or Max Brenner.

    As another ClubSnap member said, it takes effort to maintain friendships. Since you admitted to witnessing your circle of friends dwindling, and leading yourself to a 'boring' (maybe without the inverted commas) life, if you still want to be in contact with these friends, you could still go out but drink less or less often?

    uh
    sorry but have you looked at the history of Asian culture? drinking has been part of our social culture for ages. Business deals are struck while entertaining.
    in fact in the US they don't do so much "entertaining" of clients, it's much more of a Chinese thing.
    So don't just assume it's a western thing.
    GUAN XI
    IT"S ALL ABOUT GUAN XI
    so bring out the remy XO and the women!

    and btw, coffee joints are a western thing mainly. look at the coffee culture in Seattle.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Is this normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock
    ....so bring out the remy XO and the women!
    Hah? Why the women? They are there to open the bottles?

    Last edited by Sion; 19th July 2006 at 01:27 PM.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Is this normal?

    [QUOTE=Sion][QUOTE=mattlock]....so bring out the remy XO and the women!

    Hah? Why the women? They are there to open the bottles?

    they are there to open conversations ... and deals

  6. #46
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Is this normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin

    they are there to open conversations ... and deals
    With their mouths?

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Is this normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    With their mouths?
    dunnoe, maybe you try and tell us lor

  8. #48
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Is this normal?

    they are there to make charge the atmosphere and make the customers feel special.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Is this normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock
    uh
    sorry but have you looked at the history of Asian culture? drinking has been part of our social culture for ages. Business deals are struck while entertaining.
    in fact in the US they don't do so much "entertaining" of clients, it's much more of a Chinese thing.
    So don't just assume it's a western thing.
    GUAN XI
    IT"S ALL ABOUT GUAN XI
    so bring out the remy XO and the women!

    and btw, coffee joints are a western thing mainly. look at the coffee culture in Seattle.
    Sorry for not looking back and closely on Asian, or I'm guessing specifically Chinese, culture. Yes, I think there's truth to what you say about the Chinese especially with entertaining clients.

    However, I was refering to day-to-day socialising and maintaining friendships, not professional entertain-clients-to-win-business scenario.

    I may be wrong in my observation but I ask/invite Benign (or any other member in Melbourne/Australia) to notice if I may be correct about the mostly Asian crowd at coffee joints and mostly Caucasian crowd at bars/pubs. I know I may be generalising but I believe there is some validity.
    Last edited by Jemapela; 19th July 2006 at 10:34 PM.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    494

    Default Re: Is this normal?

    Sorry for not looking back and closely on Asian, or I'm guessing specifically Chinese, culture. Yes, I think there's truth to what you say about the Chinese especially with entertaining clients.

    However, I was refering to day-to-day socialising and maintaining friendships, not professional entertain-clients-to-win-business scenario.

    I may be wrong in my observation but I ask/invite Benign (or any other member in Melbourne/Australia) to notice if I may be correct about the mostly Asian crowd at coffee joints and mostly Caucasian crowd at bars/pubs. I know I may be generalising but I believe there is some validity.


    Jemapela,
    End of the day, it is all depend on the sort of crowd you are with.

    Over the years, I was fortunate enough to live back and forth between Asia and Australia. Most of the time, the social scenes has hardly missed the presence of liquor at all. Although the focus has shifted more from beers to wines.......still you will never be left alone till the 'darned' things run out
    Personally, it is alot easier to find an ang moh who like to drink than asian lor. After all, every town in Aust has a pub
    Statistically, Australians do drink more beers per capita than the rest of the world. It is even noted that in Wikepedia, Darwin, Australia, has the highest beer consumption of any city in the world at 230 L/y.

    You can view the link here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ion_per_capita

  11. #51

    Default Re: Is this normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Benign
    Jemapela,
    End of the day, it is all depend on the sort of crowd you are with.

    Over the years, I was fortunate enough to live back and forth between Asia and Australia. Most of the time, the social scenes has hardly missed the presence of liquor at all. Although the focus has shifted more from beers to wines.......still you will never be left alone till the 'darned' things run out
    Personally, it is alot easier to find an ang moh who like to drink than asian lor. After all, every town in Aust has a pub
    Statistically, Australians do drink more beers per capita than the rest of the world. It is even noted that in Wikepedia, Darwin, Australia, has the highest beer consumption of any city in the world at 230 L/y.

    You can view the link here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ion_per_capita
    I don't disagree with your personal experience about the ease of finding a Caucasian to drink than an Asian. We know that the average Asian is not a beer/wine guzzler.

    I'm curious to know if your bar-going alcohol-drinking friends are mostly Asians or Caucasians. I get the impression that they might be mostly Asians because Asians tend to egg-on (persuade or encourage) their friends to down drinks. Caucasians I hang out with don't do it. They ask if I would like more, and don't insist in getting me to finish up anything.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •