Thread: HI! Canon Powershot A520 user here.Lens?

Default HI! Canon Powershot A520 user here.Lens?

Iskandar here. Been experimenting with my canon Powerhsot A520 for few months.
    Thinking of upgrading to a DSLR. But question, can I use any brand lens and reverse it on this camera? Will the outcome be nice?

Or are there already compatible lens for this camera?
    Thanks

Default Re: HI!Canon Powershot A520 user here.Lens?

sorry i think u may be mistaken. there are no lenses for your camera, apart from maybe a wide angle/ macro converter.

these will not fit on any dslr, nor will any dslr lens fit on your camera... so really, you are free to choose what body or mount u want.

If your camera comes with a theaded 55mm adapter you can try and reverse mount a 50/1.8 prime onto it. Just make sure that the forn thread size is the same as the mount. You will have to find a reversal ring too.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam.../Reversal.html

thats what im trying to do. For A520, you can actually take off the ring and palce a conversion adapter thingy, like on the above mentioned page.

hi, i think if this is what you want to do, you need:

a) adapter tube for your A520. you can get the canon one, or a third party one. remove the ring from your A520, and screw the adapter tube in.

b) a 50mm lens with an aperture ring. this probably means it has to be a manual focus lens. good news, since these are often cheaper. brand not important.

c) a reversing ring, with male screw threads on both sides. attach this to the front of the lens, and then screw the other side onto the adapter tube

d) you may need a step-up ring to do this, because the adapter tube front thread tends to be rather small (30+mm?)

i'm not so familiar with this procedure, but clubsnapper tchuanye uses a setup like this. you can find him at the macro and closeup section of this forum if you have more questions.

some additional notes...

1) sorry for taking so long to respond. i got confused by your phrase "upgrade to dslr", because a dslr is a camera. when someone using a compact camera says "upgrade to dslr", they usually mean they want to buy a new camera. what you're trying to do is to reverse mount a lens to your point and shoot.

2) this reverse mounted lens gives a lot of magnification. are you sure this is what you want to do? the only thing it does is allow you to take close-ups of small objects. and it's not easy to use.

if you want to give your camera more range, or more wide-angle, maybe what you're looking for is a teleconverter or wideangle converter. these can also be attached to your A520 with an adapter tube.

whatever you're looking for, have fun
    Black lens, white Lens, can take picture is a Good lens

Default Re: HI! Canon Powershot A520 user here.Lens?

aha,. yesh wat i meant is upgrading to DSLR like canon eos 250d.

thanks!

250D? I guess u r referring to Canon 350D ba..

Quote Originally Posted by velasco
    aha,. yesh wat i meant is upgrading to DSLR like canon eos 250d.

thanks!
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

probably he meant 350D
    i've only heard of 300D and 350D
    Photo Album - Photo Album