Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Singnet Broadband having problem again?

Default Re: Singnet Boardband having problem again?

if we complain is to get value for our money , i guess its a constructive comment , hahahaha a
    n they should jolly well add on it

could it be the line drop due to , massive demand but old router ?, i have yet to see an article on massive network overhaul so as to leapfrog us to the future century.

Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel
    Just to share a couple of things from experience...

I've with been SingNet since way back and in the early days of Internet I was even with all three of the providers at once, SingNet, Pacific Net and Starhub (then known as Cyberway). When ADSL came along, I got onboard with SingNet and later signed on with Starhub as well. Ultimately, what made me stay on with SingNet, dropping the others, was that my applications were able to achieve a high and consistant data transfer rate throughout the entire day with no port restrictions.

Are they therefore the best? Not by a long shot if we look at their customer service and the many complaints of disconnections. So what then....? We can't solve their customer service problems for them and complaining to customer service that their customer service is bad is like telling an idiot that he is an idiot. So, we tackle the frequent disconnection issue.

About four months ago, I was plagued by frequent disconnections that would begin from 8pm and last all the way to around 12:30am. It would connect for five minutes, drop the connection and spend the next 10 minutes attempting to connect, succeed and then repeat the cycle again. Sounds familiar? I called SingNet and they, predictably, blamed my router and line. I asked them to help me solve it, adding also that I knew it was not a line or router issue and they sent a tech over to test both. His verdict? Both were perfect and I was achieving a higher transfer rate than normal...DUH! That was what I told the guy over the phone but they needed to send someone over to "check". Well, he left, promising to get the backend people to check.

One week went by and the line was still doing its nightly "sit-ups", so I called them again. They read me the same prepared script about my router and line and said they would send someone down to test the line. I let them finish their 5 min speech before telling them that they had already sent a tech down a week ago and that he had given my system a clean bill of health. "Oh," they said "ahhh, he'll bring down a dianostic tool to check your lines this time." I said "Ok" and waited a few days for the guy. He came, he tested, he sighed and agreed that the line was better than normal and promised to report his findings to the "backenders".

Another week went by and the line was still like a bungee so I called up for another date. They asked me for my user id, like they always do, and proceeded to read from the prepared script about the router and line and their need to send a tech again. Once again I let them have their 5 minutes of say. First timers beware, for some reason if you interrupt them in the middle of this speech they go "Uh, uh, uh, ooh, uh, um" and will rewind some surgically hidden tape and begin all over again; let them finish their speech, you have been warned. Anyway, once the speech was over, I asked to talk to their supervisor, "Why sir, he is quite busy at the moment," they asked me, "Cause this is the third time I have reported this same problem to Singnet's customer service and this is the third time you will be sending someone down to test my line and this will be the third time he will be telling me that my line is better than normal and this will be the third time I would have to do my conference in the office instead of at home in the comfort of my study in my underware" was my reply, I didn't actually mention the underware part, but it was on my mind.

That got their attention and they called their supervisor. It probably wasn't my tone but rather the fact that I blurted everything out in a single long sentence that resulted in a burn out of their monosyllabic processing cells that prompted them to hit the panic button. So the supervisor came on line and will you believe it? He was going to read the script to me too until I stopped him and told him that if they did not resolve the issue for me in 4 days, he was going to see an essay in the ST about the shocking quality of their service and their audacity in claiming to be the best service provider when they could not even troubleshoot an issue that a freshie out of tech school could have solved in minutes. His best reply to that was "Uh, sir..." so I said that I would also put in the essay our PM's call for "excellence in service" and how he should maybe take a closer look at SingTel first.

His reply to this was..."I'll send down a tech and a systems engineer to troubleshoot the issue...will Wednesday 11am to 1pm be ok?" Since it was Monday night and Wednesday was well within the four days I gave them, I agreed.

Wednesday came and the tech showed up but the engineer was away on an extended toilet break. I called the supervisor and repeated my promise to him and offered to email him a copy of the essay right then and there for his sneak preview. He called me back 10mins later and had an engineer at the backend checking the issue. After about another 2 hours of twiddling around he called back to apologise and to say that they had mad some adjustments and that hopefully it would fix the issue.

What do you know, in the last three months after the adjustments, my line has only dropped 3 times, excluding the server outage a couple of days ago.

What I'm trying to do here, other than kill time, is to explain that there aren't any perfect systems or companies since every one of them are designed or run by human beings who have one goal in life and that is to screw everyone and get paid for it. We can however, by standing straight and still with our hands in the right places, avoid this...what I mean is to be patient and firm about your rights without being abusive and take action when all else fails and even then, do it without being abusive.

I have several friends and clients who have also experienced this frequent nightly disconnections and when they did what I did, that is to let them send their techs several times before pointing out to them that the problem obviously lies elsewhere...DUH! Their problems were fixed too.

Cheers
    wow.....this is a long one.. manage to finish reading it.. got the attention from their manager. will send someone down to check the line and solve my problem... since they have waive my this month bills.. i give them up to end of the month..hahahahhaaaha

Normally, when tech support answers. I say...

"Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening! Before you just to any conclusions saying it's my modem, computer, phone line, micro filter etc etc... check your side first - I have already done my part by following the useless checklist which never solves anything apart from getting the technician down to troubleshoot the last few times."

Normally, this works and connection is restored within 1 hr

Quote Originally Posted by Klose

"Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening! Before you just to any conclusions saying it's my modem, computer, phone line, micro filter etc etc... check your side first - I have already done my part by following the useless checklist which never solves anything apart from getting the technician down to troubleshoot the last few times."

and drop again after that..

Some local broadband service providers are delinquent in dropping lines without notice. To a certain extent, they can fail to meet the QOS guidelines as stipulated by the local regulator (u know who lah). The ISP can be fined for failure to meet stipulated standard.

The only major booboo happened was when a ship anchor severed a fibre cable in the sea bed and hence no internet service for several hours. They actually flew in people to dive down to sort out the cable mess. That was several years back and they had something to scapegoat with in the media. Only PI had line then as they quickly re-routed via phillippines IPLC to get US bandwidth.

But as consumers, we have no tool to measure, not to mention, to prove the period of downtime. Besides, we eat sesame seeds and they feast peanuts. How to shoot?

LOL. End of the day, just surf and relag lah. If they fail, bang table also no use cos it could have been be a planned downtime. But due to some internal hiccups or deliberated due to the need to fulfill the QOS to regulator, downtime means downtime lor. Hence, play bodoh and sukart sukart cut off lor.

I used to work from home (after 11pm) and downtime was a pain as i had to wake up every hour later to check if it was up in order to complete what i needed to do with US counterparts. I realised that however hard i wacked them on the phone, sorry seemed to be the easiest word since it was FOC to say sorrrrrry. As for compensation for down time? Haha, they prefer u to tickle their fat bosses' ass with a feather than to allow that "c" word to sink in.

Cheers to better broadband days ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable
    Some local broadband service providers are delinquent in dropping lines without notice. To a certain extent, they can fail to meet the QOS guidelines as stipulated by the local regulator (u know who lah). The ISP can be fined for failure to meet stipulated standard.
    Hee hee...that is why it is always good to have your router maintain a log of up and down times. It becomes a useful "troubleshooting" tool/"bargaining chip" especially when it is able to show regular periods of frequent disconnections.

Oh, another thing, it is always good to have a SingNet/Starhub/PI recommended router with you so that they cannot push the blame onto "non-standard" equipment. If you decide to change your equipment from the ISP issued ones to a fancier model from another company, be sure to RETAIN your original. Before you call in to complain, take time to switch (and test) with the original equipment, don't worry, you can be sure that if your line keeps dropping with a 3rd party router, it is very, very likey to have the same issues with the ISP issued router. Having the ISP issued router connected when the techs comes over will also save you the trouble of having to listen to them give lame reasons about why your 3rd party router isn't compatible with their systems.

_

Deregistered

Just had similar experience with Starhub. My cable and internet transmission went up and down so I called the customer svc and was told they are switching off the transmission in my area for 10 mins.

BTW..there was no prior announcement or notification. That's what we called service? And it has been more than 10 mins...sianz..

I had the same issue with them, after 3rd call and third time checking my house, they finally admit that it was a control box down my block that was faulty....haiz...
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

Quote Originally Posted by Klose

Soon they will automate that and ask you to press 1 if your modem is okay, press 1 again if computer is okay.. so on... and after 1 hour you finally manage to speak to someone, the connection is restored.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    Soon they will automate that and ask you to press 1 if your modem is okay, press 1 again if computer is okay.. so on... and after 1 hour you finally manage to speak to someone, the connection is restored.
    hahahahahaha.....maybe no one will speak to you..finally they will ask you to log in to www.sunknetsuckcustomerservice.com.sg to contact the customer service.

I once heard of this telco joke.

There were three parties in a given scenario. A big mommy who has 3 telephone handsets, a police chief and thousands of uninvited/unwanted guests. The big mommy has an ak47 with unlimited rounds. The police has two rounds (one round to shoot any telephone he cried foul while the other round to quickly shoot himself after he launched his first bullet) and the rest were given toy guns. Guess who was the winner? No prize for guessing correctly. But please dun guess it right lor. I also dunno who was who. LOL

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by soma
    wow.....this is a long one.. manage to finish reading it.. got the attention from their manager. will send someone down to check the line and solve my problem... since they have waive my this month bills.. i give them up to end of the month..hahahahhaaaha

wah....reallly??? den i guess you should stick to singnet...everytime drop line you call....every month dun need to pay bill......

I still like the fat green pipe.

http://www.fatgreenpipe.com

Quote Originally Posted by liveevil
    wah....reallly??? den i guess you should stick to singnet...everytime drop line you call....every month dun need to pay bill......
    Don't need every month la.. if every 2 month once shiok liao..

Starhub is still the best. Their customer support not that bad at all. Once I had problem connecting the net, called them, they bother help me troubleshoot, even asked me to let my cable modem run overnite, and next called me to confirm the result... QUite good service !

Singnet got my bill wrong more than 3 times even after I repeatedly called them to correct it.

Then why I renewed my contract, 1+ month later, they came out with new cheaper plans for the same bandwidth, better gifts. Essentially, I'm stuck paying >$10 every month for the next 2 yrs.

A colleague who lived in the US told me such things won't happen in the US. Considered unethical business practice. Guess what, sometimes those guys there will even adjust for you the price even though you had paid it higher the last time just to accommodate the new pricing!

How's that for service and customer satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Singnet got my bill wrong more than 3 times even after I repeatedly called them to correct it.

Then why I renewed my contract, 1+ month later, they came out with new cheaper plans for the same bandwidth, better gifts. Essentially, I'm stuck paying >$10 every month for the next 2 yrs.

A colleague who lived in the US told me such things won't happen in the US. Considered unethical business practice. Guess what, sometimes those guys there will even adjust for you the price even though you had paid it higher the last time just to accommodate the new pricing!

How's that for service and customer satisfaction.
    I don't think in US you get to hear 'Sorry for this, Sorry for that'.. that's how good our service and customer satisfaction. World Class Price with a world class answer.knn.

Quote Originally Posted by Meerkat
    Starhub is still the best. Their customer support not that bad at all. Once I had problem connecting the net, called them, they bother help me troubleshoot, even asked me to let my cable modem run overnite, and next called me to confirm the result... QUite good service !
    Sinknet also wat, but will let your system drop a few more day, than will call you to see if the problem has go away by itself, if not than will try to arrange for an appointment few days later. Quite good hor.. let you have plenty time to get use to the drop line system.

Quote Originally Posted by Meerkat
    Actually, they are all bad, with PacNet leading the way...don't believe it? Just just sign up or wait till your ADSL/Cable contract with them ends

The cable broadband that Starhub offers uses a completely different technology from SingNet ADSL. With Starhub's system, they are able to access your cable modem remotely to test and update it (and even...hee hee hee! ). The advantage is of course faster and cheaper troubleshooting but the nature of the technology also implies that it is difficult to get consistant U/D speed.

_

Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel
    (and even...hee hee hee! ).

_
    er...........this one give me the chill.. can you expand the sentences..

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast