Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Singaporean blogger suspended after gov't criticism

Default Re: Singaporean blogger suspended after gov't criticism

Quote Originally Posted by jopel
    china moving towards openess .....sure or not

as for sg they are doing the same thing.
    The problem is China is far too big for their central government to have effective control over too many things, therefore, it is actually more "open" as compared to Sing.....

as for mr.brown, he's asking for it.

waiting to see if he'll be haul up to court for 'distorting the truth' which is a very serious offence in a political sense.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by scanner
    The problem is China is far too big for their central government to have effective control over too many things, therefore, it is actually more "open" as compared to Sing.....
    exactly, sg is so small we can hardly afford someone to use the medias as a platform to stir unease.

btw yet to hear someone mention a country that is like heaven and they can do wat they like - something like they can kick their president's ass in the public

Guys

Recession has already started just that this is not a good year to unveil it.

Next few years will indeed be a challenge and we really hope the "new" leaders will help reposition us better strategically. Local issues are trivial when we realised the grave issues staring at us. The IR is one of our hopes (savior) to balance leakages in the economy.

Cant comment too much here as it does our morale bad.

Let's press on to help make more good years ahead. Otherwise, prepare for the last trick of the 36 strategies in whatever trade we are in.

Quote Originally Posted by sky888
    "It is not the role of journalists or newspapers in Singapore to champion issues, or campaign for or against the government," Bhavani stressed.
    he expect people to believe that?

the only person who can openly criticise the civil service these days is ngiam tong dow. he can even refer to the uppity ones as "little lee kuan yews".

(quoted from ST hor....pls dun arrest/sue/ban me!!!)
    Last edited by zaren; 7th July 2006 at 12:30 AM.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

This is to serve as a stern warning to all who think our Government can be a joke. Something as sacred and glorious as our leaders and their esteemed wisdom in leading us into the next 5 years is not something to be ridiculed and made into jokes. The policies and direction are steered by scholars who after years of mugging in top universities are a class above the rest of us and hence have earned the right to rule. The rest of us should know our place and not waste time on such improper disagreement of government policies. Instead we should do our duty and remember to support upgrading for votes and look foward to the return to the fatherly embrace of our two prodigal sons, you know who.

Haiz........resistance is fertile

you are either with us or you are against us.
    if you're not with us, you must be against us!

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg
    This is to serve as a stern warning to all who think our Government can be a joke. Something as sacred and glorious as our leaders and their esteemed wisdom in leading us into the next 5 years is not something to be ridiculed and made into jokes. The policies and direction are steered by scholars who after years of mugging in top universities are a class above the rest of us and hence have earned the right to rule. The rest of us should know our place and not waste time on such improper disagreement of government policies. Instead we should do our duty and remember to support upgrading for votes and look foward to the return to the fatherly embrace of our two prodigal sons, you know who.
    oh gawd, someone help me off the floor.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ullyss
    here is a growing concern, limitations to what you can say on the internet, which was suppose to be an outlet for self expression. Alas no more.

First the blogsphere get squashed, remember the A*star incident, what about the one with that created racial disharmony, or the one that had some pictures of religious leader, then now this incident.

Didn't one of the minstry hinted that there will be changes to ruling of cyberspace in terms of expression.

I shall be as vague as possible as not to be accused for incitement.

Remember the mao era, where everyone self censors themselves for fear.

I am fearing now.
    And we are supposed to accept this status quo? Since when do we have wool on our backs?

Singapore doesn't need more apathy or cynicism, but I can't blame anyone who doesn't want to give a damn anymore.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by solarii

Articles which take jibes at certian privileged folk have never and will never be tolerated. You can laugh at Zoe Tay's cups running over, at gays and homos, at star awards, but not at decisions made by certian people or at these people.
    Change is the only constant, people would do well to remember that. If you cannot perform well, you're out.That's the real world for you..

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    the only person who can openly criticise the civil service these days is ngiam tong dow.
    dont forget those foreign experts employed by govt/*** to "review" their work.

Quote Originally Posted by jopel
    exactly, sg is so small we can hardly afford someone to use the medias as a platform to stir unease.
    Not neccessary true, it is always depends on whether the population in general is mature enough to understand......

It is always undesirable to treat your own citizen like small kid....
    The gulf-a-ment is always "right".

At first I thought little of the whiplash, but den again, after some thought, I'm not sure if it will go against my conscience if I were to just plain ignore what it would seem like a sledgehammer response to a kopitiam rant which Mr Lee Kim Mun (or 'mr brown', as his online identity used to be known) was expressing in his artcle. Had posted up the full length article in my website's blog since.

Anyway, if this form of 'fixing' and 'correction' continues, sad to say that I would give 'em another 20yrs (or 4 GEs max) before the world turns and the tide changes. Like what Princess Leia said to Grand Moff Tarkin on board the Death Star....

"The more u tighten your grip Tarkin, the more Star Systems will slip through your fingers..."

Damn, I feel like watching Star Wars Ep IV again for more quotes.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN
    Saw Mr Brown blog before but lost the link... anyone here can give me the link?
    www.mrbrown.com

sound like a propaganda for the N*rth K*rea regime
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

Thanks Mr Bhavani. Perhaps you can ask our glorious leaders with their esteemed wisdom what happened to our $1.4 billion which Temasek lost on Shincorp.

The landscape is going to change once darth goes down. the retention of power is dire and we must start the groundwork now! the IR will be only new station of the economy. we will impose higher ERP charges so as to regulate the flow of traffic and at the same time, it will act as a security measure.

IR is 5-10 years down. Since everything is on the rise, we should ask, what's 10-20 years down the road? Increase of $$$, comes with proportional rise in comments, voices, opinions and questions, but i guess the gahmen expects us to just -nods- and say to ourselves: "hai... rise again. growing and progressing nation mah. bo bian..."

LOL! I do not offer any constructive alternatives or comments in my above posting. This is purely my opinion. If the above comments can/will/might influence the people, i believe it's because the same chord was struck in them.

so how many of you still believe in what you read in the singapore newspapers nowadays?
    I've stopped reading except for the tabloids (entertaining mah)
    But prefer imported papers from abroad - expensive, but my company have subscription on a daily basis for the expats here. Not that much on local news but when they do have it, it's pretty interesting to see the unfiltered version

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast