Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Singaporean blogger suspended after gov't criticism

Default Singaporean blogger suspended after gov't criticism

Singaporean blogger suspended after gov't criticism

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/060706/1/41xsk.html

A Singaporean newspaper has suspended an Internet blogger's column after the government criticised his latest satirical piece about high living costs.

"The editors of Today have suspended the Mr Brown column with effect from Friday, 7th July, 2006," said a statement from MediaCorp, the newspaper's publisher on Thursday. No reason was given.

The latest blog from Mr Brown, whose real name is unknown, was entitled "S'preans are fed, up with progress!" and heaped sarcasm on hikes in transport and electricity costs among other issues.

The Ministry for Information, Communications and the Arts (MICA) issued a strongly worded rebuttal, accusing Mr Brown of distorting the truth.

"His piece is calculated to encourage cynicism and despondency, which can only make things worse, not better, for those he professes to sympathise with," K. Bhavani, press secretary to Information Minister Lee Boon Yang, wrote.

"It is not the role of journalists or newspapers in Singapore to champion issues, or campaign for or against the government," Bhavani stressed.

"If a columnist presents himself as a non-political observer, while exploiting his access to the mass media to undermine the government's standing with the electorate, then he is no longer a constructive critic, but a partisan player in politics."

Paris-based Reporters Without Borders (RSF) described the Singapore government's condemnation of Mr Brown's column as "disturbing" in light of the city-state's already strict curbs on the media.

"This reaction from a Singaporean official is disturbing," the international press freedom group said in a statement.

"It reads like a warning to all journalists and bloggers in a country in which the media are already strictly controlled. The media have a right to criticise the government's actions and express political views."

In April, RSF condemned Singapore's restrictions on political discussions in blogs and websites ahead of general elections held in May.

Last year the group ranked Singapore 140th out of 167 countries in its annual press freedom index, alongside the likes of Egypt and Syria.

Default Re: Singaporean blogger suspended after gov't criticism

His real name is known. Where got unknown. Plainly trying to trick netizens of other countries.

as usual and expected....they still don't get it that thier own backyard has many unhappy common folks. Say also useless, turn a blind eye and shut you up as soon as you raise your hand.
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

poor mr brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn
    as usual and expected....they still don't get it that thier own backyard has many unhappy common folks. Say also useless, turn a blind eye and shut you up as soon as you raise your hand.
    If u piss people off here and there, bound to get kicked in the butt one day.
    Already happening in CS.

Oh... not refering to u...

heh... good thing they cant stop his blog,, will just invite more people to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    heh... good thing they cant stop his blog,, will just invite more people to read it.
    Dun be surprised tt this thread will be closed by the mods.

I hope they will repost it somewhere.... cause i am a big fan of them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Dun be surprised tt this thread will be closed by the mods.

It will not be closed unless someone purposely wanted it to be closed by posting things that will render the action.

baiting.. flaming... blah blah blah......and I'm sure you know what I mean....

"Real name unknown"

You and I know who are the misleading chaps here, what a laugh.. It's regrettable that a Ministry can stoop to such a level.

We can expect to see greater RSF eye-ball on this issue for some time.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    If u piss people off here and there, bound to get kicked in the butt one day.
    Already happening in CS.

Oh... not refering to u...

whew! i thought i kanna mark liao...
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

so scary.
    It feels like the climate is changing into a very inward thinking environment.

I smell a recession of social change coming up.

oh,

did i mention before, most of the press don't like the ruling party? they're "encouraged" to give positive feedback by higher up. That's what a few straits times journalists blurted indirectly.

To protect identities, i hav to say tt i may have heard/interpreted wrongly, and they may not have meant what they said.

What does tis condemation sounds so familiar?... oh yea... the communist have every right to curp critisizm agains the gov and politics also right?...

China is moving toward openess... what's sg doing?

Quote Originally Posted by RossChang
    What does tis condemation sounds so familiar?... oh yea... the communist have every right to curp critisizm agains the gov and politics also right?...

alamak.... relex lah.... openness is only an illusion lah.... some countries are more direct while some countries use indirect ways to tekan you back... at the end of the day, as long as you are a noob, you will get tekan lah.....

here is a growing concern, limitations to what you can say on the internet, which was suppose to be an outlet for self expression. Alas no more.

First the blogsphere get squashed, remember the A*star incident, what about the one with that created racial disharmony, or the one that had some pictures of religious leader, then now this incident.

Didn't one of the minstry hinted that there will be changes to ruling of cyberspace in terms of expression.

I shall be as vague as possible as not to be accused for incitement.

Remember the mao era, where everyone self censors themselves for fear.

I am fearing now.

some jus 1 2 hear d "gd things"?

*i quote from Class 95 FM de*

Quote Originally Posted by ullyss
    so scary.
    It feels like the climate is changing into a very inward thinking environment.

I smell a recession of social change coming up.
    If you look at it carefully, there is no recession. Its the burgeoning of the "new media" and attempts to control it.

The climate hasn't changed. Singapore has been as it was before during the era of a certain leader.

Its just the people who using the internet as a means to express themselves, testing the boundaries in a climate that hasn't changed.

Some members here might be too young to know this, but if you look back at the incident regarding Catherine Lim many many years ago, you'll know that the climate hasn't changed.

Articles which take jibes at certian privileged folk have never and will never be tolerated. You can laugh at Zoe Tay's cups running over, at gays and homos, at star awards, but not at decisions made by certian people or at these people.

Saw Mr Brown blog before but lost the link... anyone here can give me the link?
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by RossChang

china moving towards openess .....sure or not

as for sg they are doing the same thing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast