Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often do you have to clean your CMOS sensor?

Default Re: How often do you have to clean your CMOS sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    More than 8 months, none. Not even a single dust (touch wood). First thing I will do if I have a dust problem is blowing the sensor using hand air blower. But, first to buy external power for camera to avoid possibility static electricity build-up at sensor. Mirror Lock-up for sensor cleaning. Blow the air blower few times before blowing the sensor.

Nikon D70s.

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by arttl
    Huh.... Not even a single dust?? Are you living in planet earth or some other planets??
    What aperture do you usually shoot at? U have any slightest idea of checking dust spots?

If that's really true, I'll be glad if you can share with us the method to 'prevent' dust from getting into your CCD.

As for me, the dust only disturb me when i shoot anything from f8 and above. Seriously, most of the time, i don't even bother.
    Hi Artosoft,

Just add on to arttl's comment.

Have you try this method to check your CCD ? Using the Photoshop "Equalize" feature http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=153255

Regards
    Last edited by DarkForce; 7th July 2006 at 01:19 PM.
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

Quote Originally Posted by arttl
    As for me, the dust only disturb me when i shoot anything from f8 and above. Seriously, most of the time, i don't even bother.
    Hi arttl,

Last time I also don't bother cos usually shoot at f2.8 to f4.

Recently go into Macro and Studio which require me to shoot at f8 onwards so I no choice liao
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

Hahaha....

All of you are bad!!! Because of above, I pixel peep my photos and found 1 small dust !

Never mind lah, doesn't bother me. The more you clean, the more dust will coming .

Thanks guys! It is true, soon or later the dust will coming... .

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by sriram
    My 300D is old, but never been sent in for cleaning. There's no dust on the sensor which causes problems in the image. If something gets in I just use a blower and it flies off.

Hi Sriram, Just curious to know if u had a nick name way back as 'Turbo Witch' ?? If so buzz me buddy this is ur drumming buddy from SJC!

Ha... Yeah, if u shoot at relatively large apertures, hardly change lens and/or work in really clean environment, dust may not be an issue. Then just leave it.

But if u shoot fairly frequently, and out in the open changing lenses, I don't believe you won't see much dust. I've been so extra careful and I'm not a heavy shooter even but the amount of dust simply shocked me.

Or maybe for some, as long as they don't see on the image on screen or print, then it doesn't bother them.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    Hahaha....

All of you are bad!!! Because of above, I pixel peep my photos and found 1 small dust !

Never mind lah, doesn't bother me. The more you clean, the more dust will coming .

Thanks guys! It is true, soon or later the dust will coming... .

Regards,
    Arto.
    Only one ? hmmmm.... Nevermind. Wait till u manage to collect 100 big dusts then we meet up for a drink to celebrate. lol....
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2

Or maybe for some, as long as they don't see on the image on screen or print, then it doesn't bother them.
    For me, cannot see it does not mean not there loh. I still feel very uncomfortable . Just like got a small piece of meat struck between my back teeth.

lol....
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

Blog Entries

if you want to go with blowing the dust around first

i'd suggest using a foot pump to do it, this is so that your hands are more free to hold the nozzel and camera.

but better than blowing the dust around, why not a tiny Vacuum instead.
    just remember to do it carefully

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForce
    For me, cannot see it does not mean not there loh. I still feel very uncomfortable . Just like got a small piece of meat struck between my back teeth.

lol....
    Ha.. Yah that's me too.

Ha.. Yah that's me too.
    My sixth sense tell me your ccd got lots of dust now. quick go check.

Do u feel that is something struck in your teeth now ?

i am bad .... lol
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

sent mine for cleaning today at service centre after 3 months..

anyway, i figure, getting a cleaning brush/ swabs is around $100 +... for that, i can go to service centre 5 times before it gets cost effective.. thats about 1 and a half years worth of "cleaning"... i think within 2 years will probably upgrade body liow, so have decided to just let service centre clean in future.

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    sent mine for cleaning today at service centre after 3 months..

anyway, i figure, getting a cleaning brush/ swabs is around $100 +... for that, i can go to service centre 5 times before it gets cost effective.. thats about 1 and a half years worth of "cleaning"... i think within 2 years will probably upgrade body liow, so have decided to just let service centre clean in future.
    but then again the brush could be used on a new body as well.

most of the time i juz use a blower, and guess will only send to NSC when blower can't do the job anymore

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForce
    My sixth sense tell me your ccd got lots of dust now. quick go check.

Do u feel that is something struck in your teeth now ?

i am bad .... lol
    Hey yes... U bad... Making me paranoid huh! But I checked a few days ago.. Yup, cleaned it and now good.

Hey yes... U bad... Making me paranoid huh! But I checked a few days ago.. Yup, cleaned it and now good.
    hee hee

My just cleaned . No dust liao. The Canon girls smile so sweet. No wonder I keep sending there for service . Just joking...

寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

Deregistered

Arttl and Ortega are quite right on their points and should be noted.

Dust does exist inside all dSLR bodies, and the sensors attract a lot of it. Shooting at f4.0 or wider does not mean no dust. It just means you do not see the dust ... yet.

To do a proper test, close your aperture to f16-22, shoot at ISO200-400, at clear blue skies or a nice big rectangular piece of white (card/paper). To focus, you can always mark a X in the centre of the card/paper. Use PS or any viewing software to view your image at 100% and you can be sure to find a fair amount of spots. These range from light grey to solid black spots.

Using the Equalize feature in PS (as Darkforce has mentioned) is also a valid way to show up the spots more clearly. Though if you had shot at f22, they WILL SHOW. As for firing a flash during the test shot, unnecessary.

To the threadstarter -
    You may want to give a shot with the service centre for a first-round cleaning. The cleaning solutions (dry/wet ones) are pretty pricey to start off. But with the Sensor Swab+Eclipse option, you can always save the sticks and buy fresh pec-pads later. Saves a fair bit there. DIY cleaning is actually quite easy too.

I shoot on an almost-daily basis, and I do DIY cleaning every month, with a half-yearly visit to the service centre. I don't use a Canon though, use Fuji's S3 Pro, the greatest dust-magnet of all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12