Thread: Night Photography

Default Night Photography

Took this shot at Tioman, Genting Jetty, C&C most welcome.

Default Re: Night Photography

is this more like a test shot to check the function of your camera.

Not really a test shot but an attempt at night photography as it is a field in itself.

I feel that only the right hand side of the picture is interesting. So maybe you should have used a longer lens to shoot that part of the 'jetty' together with the reflections on the water.

too dark. no concrete object to catch attention

benedium, yes you are right it would be better as its obvious that the point of interest is the jetty.
    tomlowct, yes night photography would be dark and the idea is to still show everything by zoning correctly without any wipe out and details are still available.
    And, thanks for your comments, appreciate it.

i'm pretty new in photography so i'm not exactly sure is there a "good" picture or a "bad" picture. Quite subjective to me.

HOWEVER, this pict gives me creeps. I imagined that I could "see" something coming out from the side where the tree is.

just my imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil
    benedium, yes you are right it would be better as its obvious that the point of interest is the jetty.
    tomlowct, yes night photography would be dark and the idea is to still show everything by zoning correctly without any wipe out and details are still available.
    And, thanks for your comments, appreciate it.
    Zoning night photography? Losing details in night photography?

I'm not sure why you would want to apply zone system in night photography and how do you apply zoning in night photography in this case.

I guess this was a hand held shot? Looks soft.
    Any info on aperture and shutter speeds?
    "...not taking what one doesn't desire is the hardest thing in the world" - Albert Camus

Shutter speed 25 seconds F/9 50mm ISO400
    By doing night photography I get to appreciate balancing the overbright to the underdark so that there is minimum loss details due to overexposure. thats what I think its ok if you think otherwise.
    Again thanks for all the comments.