Default Re: Gaffered Body Ugly?

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    U can, same sweaty smell anyway.

thx!!

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Gaffered camera body......

Keep stop thinking about this.........

Thats a nice pic u got there. I tot it looked like michellin tire.

There is an alternative solution to gaffer tapes. I am using EGrips on areas where i lay my fingers most. It is quite affordable (about $13) and does not mummify the cam or retain the perspiration of the palm. Of course, protection is only minimal. But i enjoy the firm grip feel. I guess choosing such accessories is not easy.

http://www.egrips.com/catalog

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable

There is an alternative solution to gaffer tapes. I am using EGrips on areas where i lay my fingers most. It is quite affordable (about $13) and does not mummify the cam or retain the perspiration of the palm. Of course, protection is only minimal. But i enjoy the firm grip feel. I guess choosing such accessories is not easy.

Where to get the EGrips locally?

Quote Originally Posted by donchua
    saw it at petrol stations
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Egrips can be gotten at quite a lot of places. I saw it at taka stationary corner (level 1), some stationary shops, and i got mine from sim lim square top floor at a large shop which sells hp accessories.

This is a great solution for heavy load equipment and prevents slippage. I slipped off a manual camera from my palm before, and the repair cost me a bomb. I guess for those with oily hands or sweatty palms, this might be a good choice. For the ultimate, use gaffer and then add on with egrips... Be prepared to do some trimming to suit your camera needs though.

btw, i dont work for egrips or retail for them. Just hope to share this new product since the TS is looking for something that enhance grips. However, i do find these rubberised strips very expensive since their cost of manufacturing+packaging is less than a dollar.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by donchua
    I saw at Ruby peninsula (opposite TCW). Black colour one, IIRC.

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by DeWei
    Can someone show the pics of gaffered camera body? I'm considering to gaffer my D70 but worry it is too ugly
    Ugly? Why should that be a problem? If your pictures are good, does not matter if the camera is ugly?

On the flip side, you have the nicest looking camera, but your pictures suck, well, I guess we can enjoy your nice looking camera rather than your picture!

That said, I don't gaffer my camera, but I am thinking of taping areas where I am holding the camera, to give it a better grip. Then I said egrip, may actually give it a try.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

The only time I can think of the aesthetics of camera or lens being improved by gaffer tape is if the tape is white and the lens is black.

Not to mention the practical benefits of keeping the lens that little bit cooler in the sun.
    sk.images, ex - cyber_m0nkey

Have to agree with DP on this, but indeed a personal choice to protect assets or to exploit with joy.

For those who tries gaffer tapes or egrips or whatever grips, do share your opinions as I also hope to learn. One thing -ve abt egrips i discovered is that the stickiness of the tape is not extremely good if i did not clean the surface well before sticking on. Oh well, if it peels, I just tape another piece. I still have 80% left since i used the bare minimun for the right hand side of the grip (one stirp behind and 3 strips in front). But watch it, it can make your cam feel rock solid on your hand.

Cheers

i usually gaffer lenses, usually zoom/focus rings... specially for some vintage lenses where the zoom ring is made of rather hard rubber, not comfy for long term use

oso on flash, where it comes in contact with my oily face hehe

for body, i dun haf much need to gaffer it...

Hey Contaxable, how do you like your egrips after using it for a year or so?

u paid USD13 bucks?

any feedback?

local website is www.fia.com.sg

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post

Leonard aka audibum
    Nikon D300|17-55 F2.8|50 F/1.4|SB-800|Fuji x-100| canon s95

Yes. My picture are good, but what I see is very impt too. 80% of the time, consumers choose their stuffs based on looks(For mobile phone, almost 90%).

Aesthetic is very impt to me, and to many others too. Why gaffer? It looks like crap. Those who bothered to gaffer them are probably the ones spending more time protecting, always checking for scratches, than putting focus in the actual shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Ugly? Why should that be a problem? If your pictures are good, does not matter if the camera is ugly?

On the flip side, you have the nicest looking camera, but your pictures suck, well, I guess we can enjoy your nice looking camera rather than your picture!

That said, I don't gaffer my camera, but I am thinking of taping areas where I am holding the camera, to give it a better grip. Then I said egrip, may actually give it a try.
    Last edited by ianpaice; 7th June 2007 at 08:58 PM.

Well, it depends on the perference of the user...

I agree it makes the camera/lens look ugly, but ugliness has its benefits too. The chances of it getting robbed or stolen esp. overseas is much lower with ugly equipment! This is beyond surface protection (scratches, etc)... it is protecting the loss of your equipment which is who knows how many thousands (and whatever beautiful photos in it too).
    Jus bringing up a good thing abt gaffering and the ugliness it brings.

I myself do not gaffer my equipment but recently I bought a lens from someone and it was all gaffered up and after reading these posts abt it becoming sticky after a few mths and sweat n bacteria collecting in it, I am getting a bit worried about the gaffer and wonder if I should remove it. But this lens has a very smooth-surfaced focussing barrel (and its manual focus only so I'll have to turn it lots) so it would be slippery and hard to grip w/o the gaffer. Any suggestions what I should do? E-grips? Anyone tried E-grips on lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by audibum View Post
    Hey Contaxable, how do you like your egrips after using it for a year or so?

u paid USD13 bucks?

any feedback?

local website is www.fia.com.sg

Hi audibum

My old egrips is still secured to my body. I only put random strips on places my hand comes into contact.

I still like it although it is peeling off already. Some very small strip which I custom cut fell off after the first month. It still makes my camera feel rock solid on my hand. With heavier accesories and lenses, the egrip is all the more essential. Its cheaper than paying for insurance to accidental damage.

And no, I did not get it overseas. I got it at sim lim square then when it first launched. It was sold at a very large handphone accessories shop on 5th or 6th floor. I believe they still have it there. Now egrips can be gotten at many places.

Try it, and if you dont like it on the camera, peel it off and attach the strips to come other things which needed a non slip grip.

I do not have sweaty palms. So I do not know how good the grip can get with wet hands.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    Hi audibum

My old egrips is still secured to my body. I only put random strips on places my hand comes into contact.

I still like it although it is peeling off already. Some very small strip which I custom cut fell off after the first month. It still makes my camera feel rock solid on my hand. With heavier accesories and lenses, the egrip is all the more essential. Its cheaper than paying for insurance to accidental damage.

And no, I did not get it overseas. I got it at sim lim square then when it first launched. It was sold at a very large handphone accessories shop on 5th or 6th floor. I believe they still have it there. Now egrips can be gotten at many places.

Try it, and if you dont like it on the camera, peel it off and attach the strips to come other things which needed a non slip grip.

I do not have sweaty palms. So I do not know how good the grip can get with wet hands.

cool. yeah, it's at many places now

http://www.fia.com.sg/where.htm
    Leonard aka audibum

i have egrpiped my 17-55 f2.8 but not at the the barrel where i turn. there's already rubber grip on the cam. i have about 10pcs on my lens, mainly to protect from scratches and even on my lens hood. i feel it facilitates removal of lenses as it feels more solid when held.
    heaven forbid i accidentally drop my lens when i swap them in a rush.

gives me more confidence that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    I agree it makes the camera/lens look ugly, but ugliness has its benefits too. The chances of it getting robbed or stolen esp. overseas is much lower with ugly equipment! This is beyond surface protection (scratches, etc)... it is protecting the loss of your equipment which is who knows how many thousands (and whatever beautiful photos in it too).
    Jus bringing up a good thing abt gaffering and the ugliness it brings.

I myself do not gaffer my equipment but recently I bought a lens from someone and it was all gaffered up and after reading these posts abt it becoming sticky after a few mths and sweat n bacteria collecting in it, I am getting a bit worried about the gaffer and wonder if I should remove it. But this lens has a very smooth-surfaced focussing barrel (and its manual focus only so I'll have to turn it lots) so it would be slippery and hard to grip w/o the gaffer. Any suggestions what I should do? E-grips? Anyone tried E-grips on lenses?
    Leonard aka audibum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123