Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Photography-related FAQs and Links for Newbies

Default Re: Photography-related FAQs and Links for Newbies

I'd like to contribute as well...

Read - 5 Tips in Choosing the Best DSLR camera for Beginners | David's Simple Photography gives you 5 tips to help you find out how to buy your first digital SLR camera that suits YOU.

5 tips in choosing your first DSLR camera for beginners.

Define your budget
    Identify your requirements
    Check availability of lenses and accessories
    Find out what your close friends and family are using
    Buy and forget

Read - 5 Tips in Choosing the Best DSLR camera for Beginners

Please re-share if you find it useful

Quote Originally Posted by si123 View Post
    I'm new to this forum, and I would just like to say there is a ton of infomation here and like what I see.
    I sincerely agree.

what starter lense do you recomend? i was thinking of 18-55 and 55-250. but my friend said i need a wide angle. is it a must?

Quote Originally Posted by Zennith View Post
    what starter lense do you recomend? i was thinking of 18-55 and 55-250. but my friend said i need a wide angle. is it a must?
    Bro, I think you should start off this topic in a new thread (or a good forum search can help too) instead.....But well..

Always start from your kit lens (18-XX or 18-XXX). After using your lens for a period of time, you will then find out what you really require (As in, you will find out what is your shooting style. If you are always using the 18mm end, prob a UWA may be a good next buy, if you are never touching the 18mm, and always at the 30-55 region, you can think of 24-XXX as a next lens etc).

If after using the kit lens and you think that there is nothing wrong with your starter/kit lens, then the $ can be saved up for other stuffs/or go into savings.

It's NOT necessary to cover all the range from UWA to Tele. You just need the one/few that suits you. Some "folks" can stick on a UWA and walk the world while others can't take the long tele off their lens either.

That said, 55-250 is a nice add on to 18-55 and is quite cheap (as compared to other tele photo lens). IMO, if you are considering this combo 18-55, 55-250, I really recommend a look into the 18-2XX lens, it will come at a cost thou.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike

Bro, I think you should start off this topic in a new thread (or a good forum search can help too) instead.....But well..

Always start from your kit lens (18-XX or 18-XXX). After using your lens for a period of time, you will then find out what you really require (As in, you will find out what is your shooting style. If you are always using the 18mm end, prob a UWA may be a good next buy, if you are never touching the 18mm, and always at the 30-55 region, you can think of 24-XXX as a next lens etc).

If after using the kit lens and you think that there is nothing wrong with your starter/kit lens, then the $ can be saved up for other stuffs/or go into savings.

It's NOT necessary to cover all the range from UWA to Tele. You just need the one/few that suits you. Some "folks" can stick on a UWA and walk the world while others can't take the long tele off their lens either.

That said, 55-250 is a nice add on to 18-55 and is quite cheap (as compared to other tele photo lens). IMO, if you are considering this combo 18-55, 55-250, I really recommend a look into the 18-2XX lens, it will come at a cost thou.
    Hmm I tried to not consider the 18-200 because of the cost hmmm most prob buying next week or shud I wait till the pcshow
    My Facebook Page Digital Rev
    Canon 60D 18-200, 50 F1.8

Hmm I tried to not consider the 18-200 because of the cost hmmm most prob buying next week or shud I wait till the pcshow
    Most will advice you NOT to buy from the PC shows as they sell at Recommended Retail Price (RRP) which is more expensive than the recommended shops (refer to Price Guides Section).

btw, the freebies given in the PC shows are NOT free. You have paid for it by buying it at RRP and also, you are also better off buying from recommended shops then use the savings and buy a better quality Tripod or get a dry cabinet etc.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Most will advice you NOT to buy from the PC shows as they sell at Recommended Retail Price (RRP) which is more expensive than the recommended shops (refer to Price Guides Section).

btw, the freebies given in the PC shows are NOT free. You have paid for it by buying it at RRP and also, you are also better off buying from recommended shops then use the savings and buy a better quality Tripod or get a dry cabinet etc.
    some were saying during pc show go to the shops in funan will still get same freebies at lower price true?

some were saying during pc show go to the shops in funan will still get same freebies at lower price true?
    If you are talking about the standard "free" gifts like the SD card and a bag, any shop selling the camera unit will give you the same package.

e.g. Just an illustration actual value/freebies may differ

RRP Package (The standard package when you buy at Challenger or Harvey Norman when there are no special promos)
    - Free SD card and a Free bag @ total of $2k (the one listed on the OFFICIAL website e.g. Canon.com or Nikon.com etc)

PC Show
    - RRP Package + tripod + cleaning cloth etc.. .. @ total of $2k

Street Price/Recommended shops
    - RRP Package @ total of $1.8K

Hope you get a better idea.

If you are talking about the standard "free" gifts like the SD card and a bag, any shop selling the camera unit will give you the same package.

e.g. Just an illustration actual value/freebies may differ

RRP Package (The standard package when you buy at Challenger or Harvey Norman when there are no special promos)
    - Free SD card and a Free bag @ total of $2k (the one listed on the OFFICIAL website e.g. Canon.com or Nikon.com etc)

PC Show
    - RRP Package + tripod + cleaning cloth etc.. .. @ total of $2k

Street Price/Recommended shops
    - RRP Package @ total of $1.8K

Hope you get a better idea.
    yea i know about that but the prev pc show they were giving drybox and stuff

yea i know about that but the prev pc show they were giving drybox and stuff
    You will be better of taking the savings by buying from the recommended shops (instead of PC Shows, Harvey, Challenger) and spend it on a larger Dry Cabinet and a better tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike

You will be better of taking the savings by buying from the recommended shops (instead of PC Shows, Harvey, Challenger) and spend it on a larger Dry Cabinet and a better tripod.
    Okays thank you 50liters enough?
    My Facebook Page Digital Rev
    Canon 60D 18-200, 50 F1.8

Okays thank you 50liters enough?
    If you have the space and budget to get one, it will serve well... my 40L is getting cramp now.

If you have the space and budget to get one, it will serve well... my 40L is getting cramp now.
    maybe i just get a dry box. and wait for more equiptments to come then i buy the cabi

maybe i just get a dry box. and wait for more equiptments to come then i buy the cabi
    Please read the following thread for Dry Box and Dry Cabi: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...-to-buy-drybox

To keep this thread clean, for any further questions, I would advice you to do a search first or post it as a new thread in the respective category.

I stumbled upon this YouTube channel, New To Photo. I find their videos very useful for newbies like myself

http://www.youtube.com/user/newtophoto
    Canon EOS 600D | BBB virus carrier

I'm new here and I just want to say that this website is really stellar! awesome resources! I would like to congratulate the site owner/or(s), good job!
    Leowell Gonzales Photography

Camera Bag Buying Advice and Tips

Michaels Photography School website is geared towards DSLR newbies. Quite informative

http://www.michaelthementor.com/

I thought this might be a good read...

Questions to Consider Before You Buy that New Lens

I came across this very useful post from digital photography school (DPS) Titled: Learning to See. It's a 11 part post. But it shares about many things such as perspectives, using the rules and breaking the rules, Colours etc.

It can be time consuming to read all of it but to understand it, one may take a lifetime mastering it. It's abit long, but definitely worth a read.

Learning to See Part 1
    Learning to See, Part II
    Learning to See, Part III
    Learning to See, Part IV
    Learning to See, Part V
    Learning to See, Part VI
    Learning to See, Part VII
    Learning to See, Part VIII
    Learning to See, Part IX
    Learning to See, Part X
    Learning to See, Final

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123