Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SATA hard disk? PATA hard disk? What are these?

Default Re: SATA hard disk? PATA hard disk? What are these?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleyy
    hehe.. USB2.0 is suppose to be faster than Firewire... by the way, if you Mac on USB 1.1 or 2.0? I'm not that familiar with Mac.. If on USB 1.1, plugging a USB 2.0 device, the transfer is still on 1.1

Anyway.. I find that USB speed tends to fluctuate, so can be quite slow at times.. Firewire is more consistent.
    USB 2.0 is only theoretically faster than IEEE-1394. But Firewire's still faster due to the 1394 controller rather than using system resources.

my usb2 external does 9 mins. for 12 gb

cannot be that slow, mine does around 10mins too

There are several brands of RAID cards out there. 3Ware is one of the popular ones.. 2 Ports SATA RAID cost around S$270, 4 ports around $500 plus, and 8 ports around $1000....
    Naturally there are cheaper brands out there, some are not as efficient, some are pretty good.
    so ex?

how's the cards from promise technology? cheaper compared to 3ware and they offer raid 6

talking about raids.. i have not been able to achieve greater than 120Mb/s for my 4 disk 500Gb Raid 5. via PCI-X. max i had was only 100-110. still wondering why.

Quote Originally Posted by anka
    talking about raids.. i have not been able to achieve greater than 120Mb/s for my 4 disk 500Gb Raid 5. via PCI-X. max i had was only 100-110. still wondering why.
    Because you're using RAID 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    USB 2.0 is only theoretically faster than IEEE-1394. But Firewire's still faster due to the 1394 controller rather than using system resources.
    Yeah.. theoretically.. but it does run faster than Firewire =P at least most I know some systems do..

Now, talking about theortically, the 56K dial up modem is a better example.. I never ever manage to find anyone connecting and transfering at that speed.. despite whatever the so call connection speed stated..

Quote Originally Posted by quekky
    so ex?

how's the cards from promise technology? cheaper compared to 3ware and they offer raid 6
    A lot cheaper and doesn't run as effectively the last I checked.. not sure about nowadays.. perhaps they have improved?? try asking in computer forums better..

Quote Originally Posted by anka
    think no further.. juz convert them to raid 10
    it should be faster this way! but prepare to have lesser capacity.

Yeah.. theoretically.. but it does run faster than Firewire =P at least most I know some systems do..

Now, talking about theortically, the 56K dial up modem is a better example.. I never ever manage to find anyone connecting and transfering at that speed.. despite whatever the so call connection speed stated..

all this r done up in a lab.
    and this is the max that they can go.
    it can be done but not at home only.

and yea i second that firewire is faster for sure
    lot more faster

Firewire is faster because it has it own "CPU" to manage the data transfer. It does not require the system CPU resource.
    USB require the system CPU to manage the data transfer so if you are transferring data and using the system, it will affect your data transfer rate.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123