Thread: What auto-focus to use?

Default What auto-focus to use?

AiAF which you let the camera do the thinking for you, or centre which you adjust the focal point yourself?

Default Re: What auto-focus to use?

That's a weird question but i'll humour you.

What kind of pictures do you want to make?

Hi crusher!

Manual focus for teh win! I use it most of the time unless I happen to be shooting quick action sports, or using the Tamron 24-135 (the focus ring is too sensitive to make minute adjustments)

Regardless, you should answer foxtwo's question first so that we can help you. Most people use both modes depending on the situation.

Which one do you think is better, you control the camera, or the camera control you?

Regards,
    Arto.

Sorry for sounding stupid. Let me clarify, I am just using a Canon A620. It has 2 AF modes, the AiAF which u half press the shuttle and it shows you 1 or more focal points, and the center which is like the traditional PNS which you half press to focus on the thing you want to focus on, then you frame your subject.

I just want to find out what mode most people use to achieve the best results.
    Last edited by crusher; 5th July 2006 at 10:00 PM.

Deregistered

If portraits, stills, manual.

If birding, movement, continous.

Quote Originally Posted by _espn_
    If portraits, stills, manual.

If birding, movement, continous.
    Eh.... The A610 manual is not the same as SLR manual leh....

If you have time to compose your pic, then take your time to select your focus point.
    Otherwise, use center focus, focus your subject then recompose.

If you are using the 2nd method, make you don't stray too much to the back or front, else subject will be out of focus. Practise more.

Quote Originally Posted by crusher
    Sorry for sounding stupid. Let me clarify, I am just using a Canon A620. It has 2 AF modes, the AiAF which u half press the shuttle and it shows you 1 or more focal points, and the center which is like the traditional PNS which you half press to focus on the thing you want to focus on, then you frame your subject.

I just want to find out what mode most people use to achieve the best results.
    AiAF for situations where you already know how you're going to frame your following images. Say you're on vacation, your family members will be in the foreground and landscape behind. So set your AF point accordingly. Or for action shots where say, you want to position the subject on the left and have lots of space to the right, you use AiAF to not waste time re-framing.

When you have lots of time to slowly experiment compositions then the latter mode will suit.

Just do whichever way you like to. The important thing is to get the image, how you got there is plainly 'good to know'.