I might be pessimistic and I've just like some of you who are not happy about all these things happening in our lovely sweaty tropical country when Tanya Chua's song say our country is very warm. I especially remember that because everytime when I came back from aboard, the first thing I realised is that Singapore always makes me sweat, never warm. I think I only feel warm in the 70s and ever since Singapore decided to be a "fine" country it never turn back.
Like I told my parents, people of your time cannot complain, because at that time, you don't have anything, the Merdeka guy in white gave you all these. You feel blessed. Later generations have enjoyed the leadership of this white man which I think he had since decide to be a CEO since SG had more or less became too profit driven and my angmoh business peers had joke around with the term Singapore INC with the Temask Holdings controlling the economy.
I have brave friends. So brave after they came back from studying abroad, they told us a lot of the "uncovered truth" in Singapore Inc. And yes, they came back either as scholarship takers or have no means to work in private sector and they serve as civil servants.
One even told me not to read straits times anymore, because the speculated truth (you know what I meant by that) is in fact, truth. Writers and journalists are in their 20s writing on forums, politics, economic speculation and editorial stuffs, what depth can you they go?
There are a few things about Singapore that maybe some might get to be reminded or just for knowledge sake:
- Our Prime minster has the highest pay as a political leader in the world. I heard at that time when this news was out, Deng Xiao Ping gets about SGD200/ month, Mahathir about SGD$2-3k and our LKY (PM at that time, tops the world even Clinton also poorer than him).
- SBS is the first and only public transport company in the world that makes profit. No public transport companies ever earn a profit, imagine how good our public transport company are. You don't have to verify this, the word "public" will tell you the reason why the world's public transport never earns any profit. Nevertheless, Singapore's public transport had a different meaning from that.
- Singapore is the first country in the world to establish the law to state children must take care of their parents financially. Even HongKong, which people often want to compare to, as a 100% Chinese nation, do not have such laws at all.
- Singapore has the most expensive private transport for ownership.
- Singapore has the greatest governmental control over a nation's economy in the world as a "laizze faire" nation. i.e free market.
- Singapore is the only country in the world to try to save money on underground train service and decide to build up into the sky because of incompetence underground tunneling skills and budget concern. Blaming on geographical and giving the glorious reason to save and transfer to communters. Yet they still earn big bucks and when not profitable, shut down station by saying they cannot earn profit for a "public" reason.
I think you don't need me to give you harvard referencing source titles at the end of this thread as you can more or less guess why are all those statement true already.
I also heard alot of mentioning about inflation? How many years of economics lessons tells you that inflation is caused by government price increase? Of course with the increase in prices across the board, next year you will see a bigger increase in the economic growth. For those who took economic lessons, remember the C+G+I+(Export - Import) formula?
C = consumption, i.e how much the nation spends, the more we spend, the higher it goes.
G = government spending, i.e our military defence spending, civil servant salaries, public services like subsidizing public transport (sounds alien?), subsidizing healthcare (sounds alien too), subsidizing housing (sounds very alien right?), subsidizing public utilities (got meh?) etc.
I = investment, angmoh bring money from aboard and invest here...hmm...long time never bring red hair to drink beer already.
Export, Singapore does entreport trade so we still re-export quite abit but definitely you almost seldom see "make in Singapore stuff" aboard.
And lastly, of course we have all the latest gadgets in the world, yap, we import them.
So now try to play around the formula and you will definite see that Singapore is progressing again next year. Hurray!!! Economic growth again which means the government will be telling us next year is even better under the leadership of Singapore Inc new chairman.
But think again, do you feel richer this year as compared to last year? We are merely forced to spend more because our government know that restaurant can stop going, plasma TV can stop updating but public services like transport, water and electricity how to stop?
Our govenment has the best businessman in the world, Bill Gates, learn from us, talk about enforcing a monopoly....