Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast

Thread: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    Singapore taxi fare is still reasonable compared to some other countries. Shanghai for one is definitely more expensive than Singapore, and I mean comparing in SGD, and not RMB to SGD. Hopping on a cab there is RMB 10.00 which is about SGD 2.20 which is still fair, but the meter jumps at RMB 1.00 which is about SGD 0.22 per jump. A trip of let's say Changi Airport to Jurong will cost you near to SGD 40.00+/- per trip. Rental of a taxi is about SGD 85.00 per day +/- depending on which company the driver rented it from.
    Cab rental is SGD 92. SGD85 are for the smaller cabs.

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    Again, you're being distracted from the point - there's no point comparing. The situation is entirely different. Comparing will distract you further from the point. The point is, the transport companies are not meeting the challenges of the new economy head on. It's too easy for them to keep their heads up when they can raise prices when they want to, with simple justifications.
    Wow, I didn't realise I made you type such a long answer! You misunderstand my post.

I am totally aware that improvements in technology, processes, productivity gains, etc form part of the picture in combating rising costs. We read about this all the time.

Eventually however, there must come a time when prices have been to be raised. It isn't fair for us to assume that these companies did not try these alternatives and instead accuse them of implementing brute-force price increases. Even if rising costs had not been apparent, these measures of improving productivity, technology, etc will have been introduced anyway to maximise profits. The bottomline rules.

Every time fare increases are proposed, the company must consider what its competition is charging, the extent of the public reaction, etc. Too big a fare increase, people will flock to its competitors. A fare increase once every few years is perfectly reasonable - all I'm saying in my last post is that we can expect to see further increases in the coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by melnjes
    Wow, I didn't realise I made you type such a long answer! You misunderstand my post.

I am totally aware that improvements in technology, processes, productivity gains, etc form part of the picture in combating rising costs. We read about this all the time.

Eventually however, there must come a time when prices have been to be raised. It isn't fair for us to assume that these companies did not try these alternatives and instead accuse them of implementing brute-force price increases. Even if rising costs had not been apparent, these measures of improving productivity, technology, etc will have been introduced anyway to maximise profits. The bottomline rules.

Every time fare increases are proposed, the company must consider what its competition is charging, the extent of the public reaction, etc. Too big a fare increase, people will flock to its competitors. A fare increase once every few years is perfectly reasonable - all I'm saying in my last post is that we can expect to see further increases in the coming years.
    Agreed

hmmm........action of a so called...... 1st World Country.

vince123123
    Guests

Don't think there's much of a competition here.

Quote Originally Posted by melnjes

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    Again, you're being distracted from the point - there's no point comparing. The situation is entirely different. Comparing will distract you further from the point. The point is, the transport companies are not meeting the challenges of the new economy head on. It's too easy for them to keep their heads up when they can raise prices when they want to, with simple justifications.

Let me try to express myself in a simpler way:

Cheating commuters had been cited as a reason for transport companies to increase prices. My friend who runs a pub has cheating customers too. So, the solution is to increase price? No other way? Who's being punished here? The paying customers.

Cost of petrol (which is a main operating cost) is another reason for fare hikes. Another friend had to face a two-fold increase in rent when his lease was to be renewed. How? Double the price of the shoes he sell?

We all empathise with the issues. But increasing price is not a productive solution. Heck, it's so unimaginative and reflects badly on us. No other way out than increasing prices? Alright, now I'll really go into constructive alternatives, but by no means as an expert:

Let's say, petrol price increase. Cannot raise price. Fold over and dies? How about:

Chase the advertising dollar:
    Learn from mediacorp. Learn from SPH. Public transport is public domain. There's tons of advertising inventory to be sold. Woo the advertising dollar. Most of them have the dollar to spend but not many venues to spend. it.

Look for opportunities to build niche
    The london cab is pretty cool. The taxi companies could work with bridal boutiques to lease them out! I know an individual cab driver who tried to do that. But if the company spearheads the project, so much more can be done! I also know a school who coverted a double-decker bus into a lounge. If students can think of something like that, SBS can think of much more!

Woo the tourist dollar
    Just increase price? Airport surcharge? No, the solution doesn't always have to be increase price! Offer itinaries, give tours, bring them to places where travel packages don't bring them! Work with STB, there's gold to be found there too! Provide in-cab services. Concierge, mobile phone rental, so much possibilities!

I'm an outsider in the industry, but I can see that the industry is sterile. Each time there's a challenge, they pass the buck. The coffee shop owner who takes cab gets the challenge, he passes the buck. So if the entire economy passes the buck, do we still have a competitive economy?

Am I being clearer?
    In other words, you want somebody else to subsidise your cab fare.

Wow guys... I am surprised that so many csers replied my thread...

This morning took a cab and looks like alot of cabbies are not pro about this increase of fares.. They are also against it...
    Sigh......

SG = Pay & Pay.

Quote Originally Posted by fierysnake
    Wow guys... I am surprised that so many csers replied my thread...

This morning took a cab and looks like alot of cabbies are not pro about this increase of fares.. They are also against it...
    Sigh......

SG = Pay & Pay.
    Frankly speaking, I'm wondering who will be the one who benefits the most out of all these hikes....

Quote Originally Posted by scanner
    Frankly speaking, I'm wondering who will be the one who benefits the most out of all these hikes....
    its not us, not the cabbies but those suckers that shake legs, drinking coffee, playing golfs and exercise those changes.

Bottomline.....

Take back what you have given out (you know what I mean)

Pending: Bus fare increase.................

1st: Kopi
    2nd: Sugar
    3rd: Electricity
    4th: Taxi
    5th: Bus fare (coming soon)............Even a 1 cent increase dont look much to an individual, but if you collate the sums, who is laughing all the way to the bank.

Singapore taxi fare is still reasonable compared to some other countries. Shanghai for one is definitely more expensive than Singapore, and I mean comparing in SGD, and not RMB to SGD. Hopping on a cab there is RMB 10.00 which is about SGD 2.20 which is still fair, but the meter jumps at RMB 1.00 which is about SGD 0.22 per jump. A trip of let's say Changi Airport to Jurong will cost you near to SGD 40.00+/- per trip. Rental of a taxi is about SGD 85.00 per day +/- depending on which company the driver rented it from.
    Bro...went to china..i think shang hai..go here go there end up less than 5 sing lei...Sg taxi prices are exorbarant*

Frankly speaking, if they don't take/tax from us then who can they take/tax from....

First of all, there are good taxi drivers and not so good taxi drivers.
    Some of my good friends are taxi drivers. The good ones.

How to cure this problem?
    Supply and Demand.

Petition Govt to allow Malaysians and China-men and India-Indians to come to Singapore to work as Taxi drivers, get PR after 3 years.
    There is no language or cultural problem at all.
    Many will come.

They do not know the roads? No problem. Short course at ROV. After all they have done this deal for past 30 years in Construction Industry.

Why not the taxi industry?

Petition Govt to allow more foreigners to start taxi companies in Singapore.

Petition Govt to allow increase of number of taxis by another 100,000 taxis.

When this happens, let the hungrier taxi drivers earn their money.

Those who want to refuse to take passengers near to 11pm.
    Those who cruise with empty taxi and refuse to pick up passengers and wait for call booking. I got nothing against them.

Tell them Please carry on and continue this way.

These taxi drivers are rich. Some just use it as semi private car and work half day only. They can afford to pick and choose passengers.
    They can spend time fetching China Pei Tu mama from their massage lounges and KTVs for free. (actually not free -- paid in kind by special services). I am happy for them.

In the meantime, let other 100,000 foreigner taxi drivers earn all their money from grateful passengers who finally can get a cab.

Then maybe taxi fares will come down or at least not increase.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex

Supply and Demand.

Petition Govt to allow Malaysians and China-men and India-Indians to come to Singapore to work as Taxi drivers, get PR after 3 years.
    Many will come.

They do not know the roads? No problem. Short course at ROV. After all they have done this deal for past 30 years in Construction Industry.

Those who cruise with empty taxi and refuse to pick up passengers and wait for call booking. I got nothing against them.

These taxi drivers are rich. Some just use it as semi private car and work half day only. They can afford to pick and choose passengers.
    They can spend time fetching China Pei Tu mama from their massage lounges and KTVs for free. (actually not free -- paid in kind by special services). I am happy for them.

In the meantime, let other 100,000 foreigner taxi drivers earn all their money from grateful passengers who finally can get a cab.

waaa u kind of chek argh , i now work already charm , take little but pay so many , already no money to retire , now u tell me let more people in to do this n that ? , i see so many uncle n auntie , do part tim eearn little pay from cleaning industry , here u suggest taxi driving n .

must give us some room to live in the future , the more u sugget , the more they will implement wor, i dun earn alot to retire rich in overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    How come poly/private school students pay adult fare for public transport when JC, MI and ITE students pay student fare?
    We got govt subsidy
    eat. drink. shoot

I always thought shanghai's taxi is cheap compared to ours. yes, their meter jumps at RMB 1.00 per jump, but the jump takes place every 800m or 1km, unlike our 225m. Also, their flag down rate of RMB10 is for 3km compared to our 1km IIRC.

ppl who are more familiar pls correct. i haven't been to shanghai in 2 years.
    eat. drink. shoot

The rise in price really does'nt matter. Be grateful we even have cabs, let alone a decent government.

I normally spend $800 / mth on cabs. Now With the hike, think time to get a car.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    In other words, you want somebody else to subsidise your cab fare.
    It's fine if you do not agree. It's fine if you're unable to understand my point. But please do not quote me out of context. And no, I don't take cab, so don't need any subsidies. Thank you very much.

I kind of agree with you. Now the power scale is leaning towards the taxi driver. Especially at night when after having a few drinks, you're suppose to take taxi instead of driving (no bus or mrt anymore)... and then u can't get taxi and forced to book. Or you can't get taxi because you look drunk (which is why you're not driving in the first place). And lastly, some drivers don't know the road also, which is understandable since u learn from experience. I wonder if taxi is is related to the word taxing.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex

Supply and Demand.

Many will come.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast