Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 261

Thread: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

  1. #81

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by melnjes
    I understand now. My point is different from your point. Mine is "What has SG become? Keep complaining about increasing fares? (by 10 cents)"

    Since we're talking about different things, we were never in disagreement. Peace!
    Peace. Since you were harping on the 10 cents figure, just FYI, a radio DJ on 88.3 this morning did a calculation on his own taxi fare after the hike, it will cost him 18% more. Not 10 cents. As for the details, I don't know. But just to clarify some stuff.

  2. #82
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    That was my understanding as well.

    Besides, even if you are considering the flag down fare alone, 10 cents has to be multiplied by the number of cab rides taken a month (since the initial comparision was to salary increases).

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    Peace. Since you were harping on the 10 cents figure, just FYI, a radio DJ on 88.3 this morning did a calculation on his own taxi fare after the hike, it will cost him 18% more. Not 10 cents. As for the details, I don't know. But just to clarify some stuff.

  3. #83
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Is it a 10 cent increase? I was of the view that it was much more than that.
    Technically its still 10 cents.

    And which used to be 10 cents for every 225m is now 210m for your first 10km.
    And which used to be 10 cents for every 200m is now 175m for distance after 10km.
    Peak period is up from $1 to $2.

    Just FYI.

  4. #84
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by melnjes
    From the Straits Times:

    Prompted by rocketing fuel costs, Singapore's largest taxi operator ComfortDelGro is increasing its flag down fare by 10 cents to $2.50 for regular taxis - the first hike in 12 years - and by 20 cents to $2.80 for Mercedes cabs.
    It is also doubling the $1 peak period surcharge to $2 and will start the morning peak period a half-hour earlier, at 7am instead of 7.30am.



    From the way some people are crying foul over here, I don't blame you for thinking that they take Mercedes cabs every day during peak hours.
    Just curious, is Merc and Normal only differ by 30 cents? how about metering and surcharge? If all else same, I think its nicer to take the more spacy Merc at 30 cents topup. Even a big plus and hopeful score with gf.

  5. #85

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    I didn't give a constructive alternative. I'm not in the position to give a constructive alternative because I don't have the benefit to be in the field. But I definitely have confidence in the experts in the field to be able to be more creative in looking for solutions. If only they are pushed to do so, like to many other players in the industry,

    While I can't offer an alternative, I can at least be constructive when voicing my opinion. In the sense that I try to weigh and balance the opposing perspectives in my opinion. Is there a point? Well, to begin with, constructive voices get more attention than non-constructive bit**ing. But more importantly, I am exercising my civil rights (yes, I know some forumers feel SGreans dun hv rights). I'm not voicing my opinion to get a better life, but in hope of the place I call home would be a better place. At the end of the day, how it translates to reality, how it impact the "big picture" would be beyond me. But at the individual level, I did what I could.
    I on other hand have less confidence on the “experts” in the field due to the lack of real competition (e.g. just look at Microsoft Windows…is the same overpriced and glorified crap for ages ). However, I do think that many SGeans will appreciate your efforts as an individual, even though base on track record in the past decades … I have my doubts.

  6. #86

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    Technically its still 10 cents.

    And which used to be 10 cents for every 225m is now 210m for your first 10km.
    And which used to be 10 cents for every 200m is now 175m for distance after 10km.
    Peak period is up from $1 to $2.

    Just FYI.
    Very useful information! Thanks. For the fun of it, let's see how it affects me if I commute on cabs:

    I clock 34km for one way trip from home to office. In the past, I would need to pay:
    $1 peak hour surcharge
    $2.40 Flagdown
    $0.10 x (10000m/225) for 1st 10km + $0.10 x (24000/200) for the next 24km
    Total = approx $19.40 (funny, the last time I took was about $25, my math must suck)

    With the new charges,
    $2 peak hour surcharge
    $2.5 flagdown
    $0.10 x (10000/210) + $0.10 x (24000/175)
    Total = approx $22.97

    That's one-way trip. Per trip, $3.57 increase. 2-way, $7.14 increase. 20 working days $142.80 increase. (melnjes: how many average SGreans can get a $142.80 pay increase each time there's a hike?) Not 10 cents. YMMV. And my math suck. Any corrections to my calculation is always welcomed.
    Last edited by shinken; 4th July 2006 at 05:09 PM.

  7. #87

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    Peace. Since you were harping on the 10 cents figure, just FYI, a radio DJ on 88.3 this morning did a calculation on his own taxi fare after the hike, it will cost him 18% more. Not 10 cents. As for the details, I don't know. But just to clarify some stuff.
    Well, I used to take cabs at least once a day, let's say $5 each time. I could never get a cab during peak hours (which is why it's good to increase the peak hour surcharge!), so no point including it in.

    Therefore, just counting that 10 cents boarding charge increase, that will equate to a 2% increase.

  8. #88

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by kenrai
    I on other hand have less confidence on the “experts” in the field due to the lack of real competition (e.g. just look at Microsoft Windows…is the same overpriced and glorified crap for ages ). However, I do think that many SGeans will appreciate your efforts as an individual, even though base on track record in the past decades … I have my doubts.
    I agree totally with the monopolistic empowerment, which breeds the complacency I was talking about. But I didn't voice my opinion because I want to be appreciated as an individual. I voiced my opinion because I'm free today. Because I'm bored. Most importantly, I decided to get up from my lazy a** to do what I can to raise awareness of underlying issues and point out discrepencies in the argument for this implementation, like so many other implementations.

  9. #89

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by melnjes
    Well, I used to take cabs at least once a day, let's say $5 each time. I could never get a cab during peak hours (which is why it's good to increase the peak hour surcharge!), so no point including it in.

    Therefore, just counting that 10 cents boarding charge increase, that will equate to a 2% increase.
    Good for you! Like I said, it affects different people at different levels in different magnitudes. It's 10 cents increase for you, in your case, but not the case of everyone. If I had to take cab, it would be much more than 10 cents for me. It's always good to be more perceptive and try to see where others come from before dismissing people as banging tables for small things.

  10. #90
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    1. It remains to be seen whether you experience any difference in the difficulty of getting a cab during peak hours even after the increase in peak hour surcharges.

    2. Did you take into account the distance rate increases?

    Quote Originally Posted by melnjes
    Well, I used to take cabs at least once a day, let's say $5 each time. I could never get a cab during peak hours (which is why it's good to increase the peak hour surcharge!), so no point including it in.

    Therefore, just counting that 10 cents boarding charge increase, that will equate to a 2% increase.

  11. #91
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    Very useful information! Thanks. For the fun of it, let's see how it affects me if I commute on cabs:

    I clock 34km for one way trip from home to office. In the past, I would need to pay:
    $1 peak hour surcharge
    $2.40 Flagdown
    $0.10 x (10000m/225) for 1st 10km + $0.10 x (24000/200) for the next 24km
    Total = approx $19.40 (funny, the last time I took was about $25, my math must suck)

    With the new charges,
    $2 peak hour surcharge
    $2.5 flagdown
    $0.10 x (10000/210) + $0.10 x (24000/175)
    Total = approx $22.97

    That's one-way trip. Per trip, $3.57 increase. 2-way, $7.14 increase. 20 working days $142.80 increase. Not 10 cents. YMMV. And my math suck. Any corrections to my calculation is always welcomed.

    Umm... there is also the time factor... if you're stuck in traffic for a period of time, it will also clock 10 cents... but I'm not sure how the time factor works. Basically 10 cents is just simplified value so consumer won't be confused.

    edit:
    Okay. Got it... previously 10cents every 25sec of waiting (or less.. still dun know what less means). Not sure if there are any changes here. Like shinken, im quite free today also. Haleluja. I'm done counting scratches off my handphone and already I'm bored.

    http://www.comfort-transportation.co...s_charges.html
    Last edited by dawgbyte77; 4th July 2006 at 05:18 PM.

  12. #92
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Currently, the waiting charges are 10 cents per 25 seconds or less.

  13. #93
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Currently, the waiting charges are 10 cents per 25 seconds or less.
    What does less means? Say... driver stopped for 2 sec to fix his rearview mirror... or stopped 2 sec to let some nice fellow jaywalker cross the road.. does that mean 10 cents added onto my meter?

  14. #94
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    All these opportinists One by one.....Inflation setting in liao....hopefully my company will raise my pay accordingly man......if not must look for greener pasture liao

  15. #95
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    I've also wondered that myself - but thats the way its currently written.

    Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    What does less means? Say... driver stopped for 2 sec to fix his rearview mirror... or stopped 2 sec to let some nice fellow jaywalker cross the road.. does that mean 10 cents added onto my meter?

  16. #96

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    1. It remains to be seen whether you experience any difference in the difficulty of getting a cab during peak hours even after the increase in peak hour surcharges.

    2. Did you take into account the distance rate increases?
    1. Good point, which then boils down to a question of supply and demand. If the demand remains despite the price increase, then .....

    2. Yes, mine is probably not a good example as much of the cost came with booking the cab, etc. Distance was negligible.

    3. Shinken, yes, agree with you, like I said, feel free to complain - however I am also entitled to the view that cab companies are free to raise prices when they need to. They are after all running a business, not a charity. For those where financial constraints are present, which I don't deny, there are cheaper transport alternatives to begin with - they probably wouldn't consider taking the cab, especially everyday and incurring the $143 increase (for example)

  17. #97
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    no.. it means that if the cab has stopped or travelled at a speed of <10km/h (IIRC, might be more or lesser) they'll add 10 cents after 25sec. Meaning if you're stuck in a traffic jam you'll also be paying for TIME as well as Distance.

    eg: you hop on cab meter $2.80.. travel 200+ metres, meter jumps 10cents. Stop at red light.. wait wait wait.. after 25sec meter hops another 10cents and usually red lights are around 40sec to 1 min. so you continue to wait another 25 sec and it hops another 10cents.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  18. #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    seriously I think it doesn't make sense to compare how cheap sg transport fares are compared to overseas, because cars are cheaper there. So if we keep comparing that we still have lots of head room to up our fares and reach exorbitant jap rates, will anyone make sure that the prices and cost of ownership for cars will come down as much?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  19. #99

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    seriously I think it doesn't make sense to compare how cheap sg transport fares are compared to overseas, because cars are cheaper there. So if we keep comparing that we still have lots of head room to up our fares and reach exorbitant jap rates, will anyone make sure that the prices and cost of ownership for cars will come down as much?
    I'm also curious: if cars are cheaper there, yet fares are more expensive, then what are the fares paying towards? Don't they have even less of an excuse to charge so much?

    The fares over there are a strong deterrent and direct most consumers towards the train and bus transport modes. The cab was never meant to replace the buses and trains as the chief modes of transport in the first place. We must remember this is the same in Singapore.

    I don't think our bus and train transport modes are that under-developed, and we are also lucky because we can take cabs, at least some of the time. And for now.

    Singapore is supposed to be geared towards supporting a population of 6 million in the long run. 6 million! Imagine a time when even car park lots cost $1000 per month to maintain (e.g. in HK). With ERP expanding its horizons, cab and car rides are guaranteed to become even more expensive in the future. This is just the very tip of the beginning.

  20. #100

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by melnjes
    I'm also curious: if cars are cheaper there, yet fares are more expensive, then what are the fares paying towards? Don't they have even less of an excuse to charge so much?

    The fares over there are a strong deterrent and direct most consumers towards the train and bus transport modes. The cab was never meant to replace the buses and trains as the chief modes of transport in the first place. We must remember this is the same in Singapore.

    I don't think our bus and train transport modes are that under-developed, and we are also lucky because we can take cabs, at least some of the time. And for now.

    Singapore is supposed to be geared towards supporting a population of 6 million in the long run. 6 million! Imagine a time when even car park lots cost $1000 per month to maintain (e.g. in HK). With ERP expanding its horizons, cab and car rides are guaranteed to become even more expensive in the future. This is just the very tip of the beginning.
    Again, you're being distracted from the point - there's no point comparing. The situation is entirely different. Comparing will distract you further from the point. The point is, the transport companies are not meeting the challenges of the new economy head on. It's too easy for them to keep their heads up when they can raise prices when they want to, with simple justifications.

    Let me try to express myself in a simpler way:

    Cheating commuters had been cited as a reason for transport companies to increase prices. My friend who runs a pub has cheating customers too. So, the solution is to increase price? No other way? Who's being punished here? The paying customers.

    Cost of petrol (which is a main operating cost) is another reason for fare hikes. Another friend had to face a two-fold increase in rent when his lease was to be renewed. How? Double the price of the shoes he sell?

    We all empathise with the issues. But increasing price is not a productive solution. Heck, it's so unimaginative and reflects badly on us. No other way out than increasing prices? Alright, now I'll really go into constructive alternatives, but by no means as an expert:

    Let's say, petrol price increase. Cannot raise price. Fold over and dies? How about:

    Chase the advertising dollar:
    Learn from mediacorp. Learn from SPH. Public transport is public domain. There's tons of advertising inventory to be sold. Woo the advertising dollar. Most of them have the dollar to spend but not many venues to spend. it.

    Look for opportunities to build niche
    The london cab is pretty cool. The taxi companies could work with bridal boutiques to lease them out! I know an individual cab driver who tried to do that. But if the company spearheads the project, so much more can be done! I also know a school who coverted a double-decker bus into a lounge. If students can think of something like that, SBS can think of much more!

    Woo the tourist dollar
    Just increase price? Airport surcharge? No, the solution doesn't always have to be increase price! Offer itinaries, give tours, bring them to places where travel packages don't bring them! Work with STB, there's gold to be found there too! Provide in-cab services. Concierge, mobile phone rental, so much possibilities!

    I'm an outsider in the industry, but I can see that the industry is sterile. Each time there's a challenge, they pass the buck. The coffee shop owner who takes cab gets the challenge, he passes the buck. So if the entire economy passes the buck, do we still have a competitive economy?

    Am I being clearer?

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •