Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3811121314 LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 261

Thread: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

  1. #241

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian
    You might have misunderstood my posting, and it is just as likely that I might have misunderstood yours.

    I do not think we have lost our freedom to vote, not 30-40 years ago, nor for the recent one, I remembered that I did cast my vote last election. However, if u mean that the majority Singaporeans (unfortunately, IMO) prefer the status quo, regardless of any alternatives, than I'll do take your point.

    IIRC, You mentioned in your ealier posts that the mentallity of "hardwork=reward" belongs to the pervious generation , I agree with you on that. However, isn't the idea of "speaking out against matters = bitterness and negative feelings" similarly outdated?

    I could not speak for others, but my postings on CS are not to influence others to think like me, but more to let others know how i personally feel. Anyone can agree or disagree, I hope that is the spirit of Kopitiam.

    Tagging on your anology, I do not dare hope that bus prices should remain at $0.15 nor for the internet and handphones to dissapear. These are part and parcel of progress. My concern is when we are unable to differentiate between the cost of progress and the act of profiteering by policy makers.I personally would not take the "explanation" of the policy makers without any reservations.


    Like you mentioned, not doubt we must learn to cope; what I hope for is that we should ALSO understand how and why such changes are introduced.
    i totally understand what you mean! Cheers!

  2. #242

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Hey,

    SMART Taxis not raising fares ... yet.
    So you might want to support them for the time being and hopefully they won't raise prices.

  3. #243

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by xray
    Hey,

    SMART Taxis not raising fares ... yet.
    So you might want to support them for the time being and hopefully they won't raise prices.
    You can support them till end of this week. Next week monday start raise the fare liao.

  4. #244
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Local
    Posts
    1,609

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Like it or not we still can't do much until 4 years later..... but i think the result should be the same...(give up hope liao) Fear have won the battle with Logic.

    Most singaporean knew what is going to happen but choose to let it happen..so if the fare increase.. serve us right..

  5. #245

    Smile Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    the monkey is on ptc's back. or the industry is de-regulated, so it claimed. perhaps, ngaim t dow is right to say that such bodies like ptc should take a sabbatical.

  6. #246

    Smile Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    singaporeans - 'die die will not change'.

    Quote Originally Posted by soma
    Like it or not we still can't do much until 4 years later..... but i think the result should be the same...(give up hope liao) Fear have won the battle with Logic.

    Most singaporean knew what is going to happen but choose to let it happen..so if the fare increase.. serve us right..

  7. #247
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Local
    Posts
    1,609

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    singaporeans - 'die die will not change'.
    Hahahahaha.......this quote is damn right..

  8. #248

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Spend more times at home so you will not spend any single cent. Once you step out of your house take bus, mrt and cab....shopping, see movie and maken is $$$

    By the way do you notice watching movie also quite expensive now a day. Weekend charge is $8.50 if book online is $9.50

  9. #249

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Another thing - ClubSNAP is still free!

  10. #250
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Local
    Posts
    1,609

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by JL1500k
    Spend more times at home so you will not spend any single cent. Once you step out of your house take bus, mrt and cab....shopping, see movie and maken is $$$

    By the way do you notice watching movie also quite expensive now a day. Weekend charge is $8.50 if book online is $9.50
    heh true...went Bangkok Paragon the cinema is super huge and grand. .about $8 but really worth it..

  11. #251
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Just becoz somebody (66%) dun agree with you (34%) mean that they (66%) r wrong lor......

  12. #252

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by initialE24
    upset but accept......

    This statement i agree. Haaa

    There's no way for prices to fall to acceptable standards, everything nowadays is about profit, even if on sale or clearance, will also be profitable (less but still profitable), everyone is out for profit in Singapore. (not many people flip to back of straits times, always see companies report profit and losses, die die must get profit if not employee heads will roll....so must jack up everything to get above the profit margin.)

    Nobody in sg wants to lose out, everybody wants profit, often passing the losses to someone else on the lower rung. If you happen to be at the bottom...nobody to pass loses to, then too bad liao. That's how sg's society is rigged to work.

    Remember the times, when your parents keep bugging you to study hard, be highly paid doctor, highly paid lawyer or highly paid engineer? They have seen what the power of money can do, you don't buck up, you lose out in the race, drowned in the flood of progression.

    People have always been predicting what's gonna happen in the future subtlely, but most rather proceed blindly. You reap what you sow.


    The taxi uncles cannot be blamed for those price increases, given a chance they rather the price stay low and have more customers instead. Driving around in an empty cab does not earn money. It's no wonder, some resort to tricks to try to save money and earn more at the 'right' time.

    Price increases everywhere are unavoidable, in the name of progression. Sg will always be painted in good light, profitable and so on. Who are the people representing the country? Probably those who are living comfortably admist all the rising costs of living. Forgotten and hidden will be the ones who can't make it to the higher echelons. Treated somewhat like how we in the middle tend to forget the folks we see on the streets collecting trash for cash. They always say we do have a choice...how many of us actually do make that choice count?


    ok off topic oredi....

    p.s im not some highly paid specialist...my take home pay is less than 2k, as prices increase everywhere, i have to cope with less spending power. It's true, the less money you have, the more inconvieniences you will have in sg. I regret not listening to my parents, study hard and all that, be a scholar, head hunted by big company, drive big guzzling car, mingle with the atas class, and then...then....then....haaa
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  13. #253
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    I think most are just concerned with the "reason". For example, rush hour traffic in CBD is "solved" by paying toll fee.. and now, taxi operator increased the fare because they want to help the taxi drivers... without consulting the taxi drivers or commuters...this is akin to me feeling pity to the poor so I use your money and give to poor. I'm not against the fare increase if it is really needed but the reason behind it makes me feel helpless.. if you know what I mean.

  14. #254
    Senior Member josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jln Teck Whye
    Posts
    2,110

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    In overall, they always do after GE. They pay us upfront and then collect back with interest. When next GE come, same thing happen. Whats the whole point then?

    Wanna be as same as other country to be high class? Until the day they earn the same amt of money like us then they be swearing on all this increasing ( which I doubt it all )

    Soon... its just a matter of time... alot of thing going to increase.. even the GST. Haizzzzzz

    Afterall with so much complaint, whats the use. No way they bring it down. We can only just curse and swear here thou. What to do when they won it, let see e next GE then. I bet more things will happen by then.

  15. #255
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    I think most are just concerned with the "reason". For example, rush hour traffic in CBD is "solved" by paying toll fee.. and now, taxi operator increased the fare because they want to help the taxi drivers... without consulting the taxi drivers or commuters...this is akin to me feeling pity to the poor so I use your money and give to poor. I'm not against the fare increase if it is really needed but the reason behind it makes me feel helpless.. if you know what I mean.
    From the way I see it, there is no way tat all ppl will be satisified with watever reasons is given.....most ppl want everything to be cheap and good..... ....

    By the way, hw come we be so sure that none of the taxi drivers is consulted? Could they have consulted a committee of drivers instead?

  16. #256
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by josho
    In overall, they always do after GE. They pay us upfront and then collect back with interest. When next GE come, same thing happen. Whats the whole point then?

    Wanna be as same as other country to be high class? Until the day they earn the same amt of money like us then they be swearing on all this increasing ( which I doubt it all )

    Soon... its just a matter of time... alot of thing going to increase.. even the GST. Haizzzzzz

    Afterall with so much complaint, whats the use. No way they bring it down. We can only just curse and swear here thou. What to do when they won it, let see e next GE then. I bet more things will happen by then.
    has all ur NSS or ERS been collected back already?..For me, it is still siting happily inside the CPF earning high interest lor (much more than banks).....I have know frenzs who spend all their NSS, ERS, Progess package on new HPs, overseas tours etc the moment they got it lor.....

  17. #257
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11
    From the way I see it, there is no way tat all ppl will be satisified with watever reasons is given.....most ppl want everything to be cheap and good..... ....

    By the way, hw come we be so sure that none of the taxi drivers is consulted? Could they have consulted a committee of drivers instead?
    I think no reason is better than these kind of reasons because it is far less sensible. When I mention without consulting the drivers or commuters, I did not mean there was no consultation, what I am implying is that majority of those that are directly affected was not consulted.

    As for the drivers committee, I'm not sure about that but speaking with a driver last Monday, he have the same sentiment that operators wanna help but no risk on their own. He was not happy bec he only had 4 customers between 7-9am. And from what he said, he pay rental regardless if he is sick or MC. He do not have CPF. etc etc. So if there is a committee, they cannot possibly represent all or most drivers.

  18. #258
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    I think no reason is better than these kind of reasons because it is far less sensible. When I mention without consulting the drivers or commuters, I did not mean there was no consultation, what I am implying is that majority of those that are directly affected was not consulted.

    As for the drivers committee, I'm not sure about that but speaking with a driver last Monday, he have the same sentiment that operators wanna help but no risk on their own. He was not happy bec he only had 4 customers between 7-9am. And from what he said, he pay rental regardless if he is sick or MC. He do not have CPF. etc etc. So if there is a committee, they cannot possibly represent all or most drivers.
    Yupz, a cab driver is sort of like having his own business, so he got no basic pay, no CPF etc..no claims for MC also.....but aft paying the rental to the coy, the rest he can keep liao....this is something that cab drivers should know already when they took up this job....This is why I tell u previously tat their job is nt easy ....

    ya a committee couldnt possibly reflect all drivers....but maybe it reflect majority of drivers? This is quite hard to determine unless we haf talk to alot of drivers ...but tink yesterday news say they may haf increase their daily earnings by ard 5-10%?

  19. #259
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11
    Yupz, a cab driver is sort of like having his own business, so he got no basic pay, no CPF etc..no claims for MC also.....but aft paying the rental to the coy, the rest he can keep liao....this is something that cab drivers should know already when they took up this job....This is why I tell u previously tat their job is nt easy ....

    ya a committee couldnt possibly reflect all drivers....but maybe it reflect majority of drivers? This is quite hard to determine unless we haf talk to alot of drivers ...but tink yesterday news say they may haf increase their daily earnings by ard 5-10%?
    This goes to my point of operator being hypocritical in "helping" drivers through commuter's money and my point goes to both paragraph which is not about the increase per se but the policy behind it. Of course taxi definitely will experience increase in their wages, especially at night when there is no competition. And base on some analyst, rental will soon follow.

    And as you pointed out, if taxi driving is so bad, why stick to it? One driver I talked to said he would rather be a guard. He have all the benefit and less risk. Just take down the names of people entering the building and have coffee. I wonder what is stopping him.

  20. #260
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

    Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    This goes to my point of operator being hypocritical in "helping" drivers through commuter's money and my point goes to both paragraph which is not about the increase per se but the policy behind it. Of course taxi definitely will experience increase in their wages, especially at night when there is no competition. And base on some analyst, rental will soon follow.

    And as you pointed out, if taxi driving is so bad, why stick to it? One driver I talked to said he would rather be a guard. He have all the benefit and less risk. Just take down the names of people entering the building and have coffee. I wonder what is stopping him.
    based on which analyst's analysis?...there is always all sorts of 'theories' in CS, internet or news, so it is quite hard for me to believe which one also...but I can't reali rem the last time tat cab fares has increased leh...heard is like 12 yrs ago?...but guess the increases affect more on ppl who take cabs during peak hrs ba....

    yupz dun think many ppl will go drive cab if they have a choice...could it be they can't find other jobs?...could it be they jus retired and jus wanted to make extra $ or to pass their time? could it be tat cab driving is more carefree?....This is nt something we can say for sure unless we r in their shoes... actually did u ask the driver why he choose to be a driver?

    maybe when I retired liao, I would also find a job to pass my time....can't stay at hm watch TV or surf CS everyday...

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3811121314 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •