Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 LastLast

Thread: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

Default Re: What has SG become? Keep increasing FARES?

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN
    they are oil producung countries... theit petrols are subsidised... ours are taxed.
    We are oil purifying country. By right the neighbouring countries should charge more because they send their oil to us for processing. They already loose out on that part because there is a lot of costs involved here. We don't have Pulau Bukom here for no reason man. This is how we keep a hold on oil even though we got no natural crude oil supplies.

Everyone here is talking about wages versus tax ratio in Singapore and overseas. Since I mentioned earlier that I have a Norwegian friend, I will just expound on what he told me.

1) In Norway, an average road sweeper earns about SGD 50,000 per annum. Govt tax is at 25%. that means the average road sweeper takes back SGD 37,500 per annum.

2) Car prices is definitely cheaper than Singapore

3) Housing prices is about the same but for SGD 200,000 you get more like a 2 storey semi-detach than a 4 or 5 rooms HDB.

4) Food is expensive with McDonald's being the cheapest at about SGD 15.00 per meal, but if you can buy your groceries and cook at home prices are almost the same as here.

5) Processed water is almost free. I said almost free because you pay something like SGD 65.00 per annum to keep the pipe connection or thereabouts which is still a lot cheaper than Singapore.

6) Population for such a big country is surprisingly the same as Singapore.

To end, you can live quite comfortably as a road sweeper in Norway but you starve as one here. Where is the fairness?

Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    I just read the New Paper and it compared (yet again) Singapore and other countries but highlighted the peculiar fact that only in Singapore taxi becomes scarse at certain timing without reason. I still do not agree with peak hours and midnight charge. Most countries do not have this, either they give shift adjustment on top of the drivers salary or consider it as a shift rotation like security guards and let those who want to work at night take over. Not to mention that cars are considered an alternative in most of them, wherein its a luxury here. Anyway, it seems even most taxi drivers are not entirely happy with the increase either.

Just to point out that 9 out of 10 taxi drivers I meet are either okay to very pleasant to be with. What I consider bad service is when they refuse to take you in bec they want to go in a different direction afterwards, or when they scold you if you are not entirely sure how to reach your destination (unless you're an ang moh tourist), etc. Once I was looking for a friends house and since the street sign is small, we drove around the vicinity slowly and by the 2nd time I was asked to step out of the taxi and he returned my full fare. I understand that it can be annoying for the driver but I am paying for the assistance and that is what normal people do if they want to go somewhere they are not familiar with.
    errr...cab drivers in spore r nt pay any salary rite?....they earn watever is leftover after rental and other expenses? sorry but I nt realli sure how ur suggestion of shift adjustment or shift rotation will wk?

During my NS days, sometimes when I wan to take cab to my camp in lim chu kang, some cabs wont take me coz they say they won't be able to find any customers on the way back...By right they can't do this one and customers can actually complain to coy....but I guess overall the service provided is ok ba.... maybe becoz I dun take cab much so my expectations lower ba...

The pasture will always look greener over the other end.

Having live in several countries, things does not look as rosy at it paints. Sg has it pros and cons, so does other countries. You take some, you give some back.

One of the thing is most pple in forum write and complain , and whine to the latter effect, and procrastinate why the world / govt / or other pple owe them a better fairness / living, while not appreciating the little beauty they already have in life .

Comparison will lead to endless squabbles. It is the little appreciation and self improvement in our life we can manage much better. Moving beyond the change (etc fares) will keep us in positive light, rather the inaction of complaining (only).

Ask yourself : What will you do , if you think this increase of fares (etc) is disturbing you? More inaction of complaining to the forum & love ones?
    Last edited by kitkat; 8th July 2006 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat

Having live in several countries, things does not look as rosy at it paints. Sg has it pros and cons, so does other countries. You take some, you give some back.

One of the thing is most pple in forum write and complain , and whine to the latter effect, and procrastinate why the world / govt / or other pple owe them a better fairness / living, while not appreciating the little beauty they already have in life .

Comparison will lead to endless squabbles. It is the little appreciation and self improvement in our life we can manage much better. Moving beyond the change (etc fares) will keep us in positive light, rather the inaction of complaining (only).

Ask yourself : What will you do , if you think this increase of fares (etc) is disturbing you? More inaction of complaining to the forum & love ones?

Every where there is Pros and cons. Live in other place, There is Pros and there is cons still..

It is UP to those people that WANTS to go oversea to stay or not. Live or Die still it is the person to choose.

From what I heard is that...

If a person want to live in Aust, You have to put in the back Aust or SING $500,000 in the Aust bank for one year. Can not take out. Somehow they said that it is to see that you do not go to Aust to steal their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltese

- Singapore has the greatest governmental control over a nation's economy in the world as a "laizze faire" nation. i.e free market.....

....Our govenment has the best businessman in the world, Bill Gates, learn from us, talk about enforcing a monopoly....
    Well said, mirrored my thoughts. I might be stating the obvious, but you guys can take a look at the people at the top positions in those so-called "privatised" coporations. Where do they come from?

Inflation is inevitable to a certain extent, but while water flows down, money seems to flow upwards, towards those in power. It is telling that the drivers themselves are uncomfortable about the hike.

Even with the price hike, the profits end up with the people running the public transport, not the cab divers. Lets not confuse the two groups.

I echo.

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    I echo.
    Well, to a certain extend you guys might make a sense in what you say, I agree. But let us also look at it in another perspective. If people had not fought for freedom in the USA and just be happy with their lives because they learnt to appreciate the little goodies presented to them on a silver platter, what would the US be today? If China had not gained freedom from Communism then would trade be open to us all? Would the people be living poor and still continue to appreciate the little goodness that overcame all the bad? There are many more scenerios worldwide that I can point out but prefer to leave it as is.

I won't call myself a professor in politics but I do feel that I have eyes to see and ears to hear. Have you guys ever wondered why Li Au call us Singaporeans stupid? I wasn't at all offended by what he said because I agree he makes good sense in what he said.

I am happy with Singapore and it's government in certain areas but there are certain issues that the government did that I resent and felt it needed to be ironed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    Well, to a certain extend you guys might make a sense in what you say, I agree. But let us also look at it in another perspective. If people had not fought for freedom in the USA and just be happy with their lives because they learnt to appreciate the little goodies presented to them on a silver platter, what would the US be today? If China had not gained freedom from Communism then would trade be open to us all? Would the people be living poor and still continue to appreciate the little goodness that overcame all the bad? There are many more scenerios worldwide that I can point out but prefer to leave it as is.

I won't call myself a professor in politics but I do feel that I have eyes to see and ears to hear. Have you guys ever wondered why Li Au call us Singaporeans stupid? I wasn't at all offended by what he said because I agree he makes good sense in what he said.

I am happy with Singapore and it's government in certain areas but there are certain issues that the government did that I resent and felt it needed to be ironed out.
    Andy, now that you've taken the first step to voice your resentment, next step is to be heard. Call up PTC, or write in to tell them why you disagree with the issue if you believe in fighting.

Andy, now that you've taken the first step to voice your resentment, next step is to be heard. Call up PTC, or write in to tell them why you disagree with the issue if you believe in fighting.

I agree .

I am pretty contended with the way Sg govt is running and make my stand :-Singapore as my home after a decade away from here. I have to agree that the fares increase hurts some pple more than others. However, to those who disagree with the govt policy:

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    Well, to a certain extend you guys might make a sense in what you say, I agree. But let us also look at it in another perspective. If people had not fought for freedom in the USA and just be happy with their lives because they learnt to appreciate the little goodies presented to them on a silver platter, what would the US be today? If China had not gained freedom from Communism then would trade be open to us all?

I ask them (and of Andy Ho):
    Have a solution, call up the PTC , and help the nation. Dun "yap" in the forum and be forgotten in a month's time. Endless comparison will not change your situation tomorrow if it stops at the forum only. Be the Action.

US citizen are largely very pro-active in bringing out their views to their govt. Will you, as a Singapore citizen, if (you still like to compare others nations' values on our values) placing a comparison "fought for freedom in the USA ", willing to raise / lead yourself to this standard at your's merit and to the nation's glory for the similar freedom / value?

The decision is yours.
    Last edited by kitkat; 9th July 2006 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tang90246
    Basically, i think Singapore transport service is much more better compare to other first world countries that i had travel, like France and Japan. The service is better and the fare is cheaper...
    Got such ppl like you that's why the price increase like nobody's business. Not targeting at you, but are we as advanced as such countries? Is our pay as high as such countries? If there is no job for us, are we entitled to subsidies from the authorities? If it is, then I drop my case.

How about salary? Is everyone's salary as high as yours for you to make such a statement?
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian
    Well said, mirrored my thoughts. I might be stating the obvious, but you guys can take a look at the people at the top positions in those so-called "privatised" coporations. Where do they come from?

Inflation is inevitable to a certain extent, but while water flows down, money seems to flow upwards, towards those in power. It is telling that the drivers themselves are uncomfortable about the hike.

Even with the price hike, the profits end up with the people running the public transport, not the cab divers. Lets not confuse the two groups.
    Echo that...and the majority of us still have the impression that those who benefited from this fare increase are the cabbies themselves!
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo
    Echo that...and the majority of us still have the impression that those who benefited from this fare increase are the cabbies themselves!
    Echo that. I spoke to a cab driver. He told me a bunch of them spoke to the management to seek help to ease the growing burden of fuel prices - in the form of lowering rental. When the decision was fare hike, they were just as shocked, and they also foresaw the rental increase next. To them - fare increase may result in less customers. Rent increase definitely result in less income. The fare hike might not be beneficial to them at all.

Just for information only. Take the official justifications with a pinch of salt. They often like to tug at the heartstrings of the people while holding back half-truths.

Just for information only. Take the official justifications with a pinch of salt. They often like to tug at the heartstrings of the people while holding back half-truths.

There are always 2 side of a coin

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    funny, everyone bitches about how things increase, how come no one think how to increase income to match his/her expectations.

If i want a X standard of living, want to ride in a cab, think how you can increase your income to afford it, rather than be so negative than think everything is getting expensive.

if your current employment/unemployment/selfempolyment cannot afford your lifestyle,maybe its high time you guys do something for yourself, find better paying jobs or opportunities. I really feel that most of us are just too comfortable, just being negative will not solve the issue, think positively, do something for yourself.

Better still lower your expectations and be happy without cabrides or cars. Ride a bicycle like someone say. Live simpler and be content.

life too short to get so fustrated, rethink
    I agree in principle with you. We must not expect things to be always laid out for us, and we should adjust our way of living towards such changes.

However, we should still sometimes ask ourselves who (or what) imposes these changes in the very first place.

Is it really due to the "inevitable" increase in standard of living, or is it really a case of these monpolies lining their pockets?

We can certainly understand the former, but how should we be quiet about the latter? Your view that we should "Accept the changes and make our own coping adjustments" does have a tinge of "self-presevation" attached to it. In the case of price hikes (transport etc), us subscribing to such a view only embolden and empowers the respective monopolies further.

Eventuaully, we become too busy at fighting fires to even ask what caused these fires.

"Bitching" on a forum, writing letters might give us a voice. But honestly, we already lost the chance when we could really be heard most clearly, back on the 6th of May.

But honestly, we already lost the chance when we could really be heard most clearly, back on the 6th of May.
    Yes. The chance is gone...until 6 years later.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

I agree in principle with you. We must not expect things to be always laid out for us, and we should adjust our way of living towards such changes.

However, we should still sometimes ask ourselves who (or what) imposes these changes in the very first place.

Is it really due to the "inevitable" increase in standard of living, or is it really a case of these monpolies lining their pockets?

We can certainly understand the former, but how should we be quiet about the latter? Your view that we should "Accept the changes and make our own coping adjustments" does have a tinge of "self-presevation" attached to it. In the case of price hikes (transport etc), us subscribing to such a view only embolden and empowers the respective monopolies further.

Eventuaully, we become too busy at fighting fires to even ask what caused these fires.

"Bitching" on a forum, writing letters might give us a voice. But honestly, we already lost the chance when we could really be heard most clearly, back on the 6th of May.
    We lost this chance 30+ 40 years ago, its not just now that you lost your freedom to vote but there is nothing to vote against for. Why have the mindset that you can make a change by writing in CS and influencing others whom are either angry because thay choose to or just bitter with everything that goes around them?

It a never ending cycle, i'm so unhappy with alot of stuff, housing prices and sizes, cost of living, etc. but its a ever progressing business of change. Accept the change or change your life, bus fares will never be $0.15 cents again, internet will never dissapear for the time being, so do handphones. These are the stuff that are not present 15 years ago and myself need not pay for phone or internet bills then.

Being negative about it will only make you suffer, doing something about it for yourself is the only way to go. You cannot stop the world for progressing, but you can sure make progress to cope with this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    We lost this chance 30+ 40 years ago, its not just now that you lost your freedom to vote but there is nothing to vote against for. Why have the mindset that you can make a change by writing in CS and influencing others whom are either angry because thay choose to or just bitter with everything that goes around them?

It a never ending cycle, i'm so unhappy with alot of stuff, housing prices and sizes, cost of living, etc. but its a ever progressing business of change. Accept the change or change your life, bus fares will never be $0.15 cents again, internet will never dissapear for the time being, so do handphones. These are the stuff that are not present 15 years ago and myself need not pay for phone or internet bills then.

Being negative about it will only make you suffer, doing something about it for yourself is the only way to go. You cannot stop the world for progressing, but you can sure make progress to cope with this world.
    You might have misunderstood my posting, and it is just as likely that I might have misunderstood yours.

I do not think we have lost our freedom to vote, not 30-40 years ago, nor for the recent one, I remembered that I did cast my vote last election. However, if u mean that the majority Singaporeans (unfortunately, IMO) prefer the status quo, regardless of any alternatives, than I'll do take your point.

IIRC, You mentioned in your ealier posts that the mentallity of "hardwork=reward" belongs to the pervious generation , I agree with you on that. However, isn't the idea of "speaking out against matters = bitterness and negative feelings" similarly outdated?

I could not speak for others, but my postings on CS are not to influence others to think like me, but more to let others know how i personally feel. Anyone can agree or disagree, I hope that is the spirit of Kopitiam.

Tagging on your anology, I do not dare hope that bus prices should remain at $0.15 nor for the internet and handphones to dissapear. These are part and parcel of progress. My concern is when we are unable to differentiate between the cost of progress and the act of profiteering by policy makers.I personally would not take the "explanation" of the policy makers without any reservations.

Like you mentioned, not doubt we must learn to cope; what I hope for is that we should ALSO understand how and why such changes are introduced.
    Last edited by ahbian; 9th July 2006 at 01:54 PM.

this is the result of a beautifully crafted plan for developement; Singapore was planned to be a comfortable, developed, modernized city. It has, and will continue to be. What side-factors that come along with it was also probably also planned for.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 LastLast